1st time poster. Maybe the first but won't be the last

Handyandy180

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Having owned all stern types over a number of years I still vastly prefer cruiser stern. As for the weather aspect, life is too short to stand on the back of a boat in the rain, I always found there was a pub to go to or simply tie up. Very occasionally life would get in the way and would be forced to cruise but that was very occasionally.

I've had extensive experience of all three types of stern and would say that a trad with a wide hatch suited me and the wife best. Plenty of room for both of us and perhaps one other.

The dog preferred a semi-trad because of the "cuthound seat" over the gas bottles provided it with security and a great view.

However a cruiser stern I'd the best option if there are a lot of people and the weather is warm.

On 29/09/2023 at 17:09, Alan de Enfield said:

I've seen "trad-drivers" with an elsaticated skirt similar to a canoeist.

81S0IYoiboL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This is sort of what we do on our semi-trad. we stand inside the back and roll the cover back a little for the same effect... this keeps us dry and warm from the engine - ours looks like

image.png.6a781253ac9c3afcbf9a53c9d66113a7.png

• Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

This is sort of what we do on our semi-trad. we stand inside the back and roll the cover back a little for the same effect... this keeps us dry and warm from the engine - ours looks like

image.png.6a781253ac9c3afcbf9a53c9d66113a7.png

Yep we do the same when we have to keep moving despite the weather...

Although you do have to make sure that the rain water drains over the side and not into your lap ... 

On 29/09/2023 at 14:48, cuthound said:

In addition to the three already mentioned, there is also the new fangled semi-cruiser stern

Narrowboat & Canal Stern Options | Traditional, Semi-Trad, Cruiser Narrow  Boat Sterns

Surely that’s just a cruiser stern? As in a boat that has the engine under the rear deck totally outside the cabin and doesn’t have the appearance of a traditional motor boat stern arrangement?

In the sense that the positioning of the engine is key there isn’t really any difference between a cruiser and a semi-trad; other than that one is the mother of all faux traditional features on boats.

Arguably “semi-trad” is a better description of the ‘modern trad’ i.e. a boat with a boxed in engine within the cabin space as opposed to an engine room.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Surely that’s just a cruiser stern? As in a boat that has the engine under the rear deck totally outside the cabin and doesn’t have the appearance of a traditional motor boat stern arrangement?

In the sense that the positioning of the engine is key there isn’t really any difference between a cruiser and a semi-trad; other than that one is the mother of all faux traditional features on boats.

Arguably “semi-trad” is a better description of the ‘modern trad’ i.e. a boat with a boxed in engine within the cabin space as opposed to an engine room.

Yes it is a cruiser with a metal dodger and strange cabin extensions, but the marketing men call it a "semi-cruiser".

I agree, I think "rear engined" or "mid engined" gives the best description of a trad. 

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Forward control narrow boats are rare but quite amusing when encountered. 

Especially when the have tiller control at the rear as well as the forward control, so look like the invisible man is driving them when steered from the front :)

Edited by cuthound
To insert spaces between merged posts
  • Greenie 1

On 30/09/2023 at 09:15, mrsmelly said:

life is too short to stand on the back of a boat in the rain, I always found there was a pub to go to or simply tie up. 

My thoughts exactly, if i want to go for a walk and the weather is s**t then i stay home, simple.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
language.
  • Greenie 1

Some of my best memories of canal boating are from days going along the cut at an angle in pouring rain and silly wind knowing the fire is going. 

Around Yardley Gobion was good for this and Ivinghoe. Horizontal rain and wind. Excellent .

To be fair I was in my twenties young free single and rich tall dark and handsome with loads of money which I suppose can help in this regard. Early retirement and all that. 

3 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

My thoughts exactly, if i want to go for a walk and the weather is s**t then i stay home, simple.

I fear you are overlooking the fact that many boaters still have deadlines, work in particular and therefore have to get back to their base/ destination come what may, disasters excepting.

In the same way despite the weather being s**t some folk still have dogs to walk, no car and have to get to work etc. etc. 

There’s a fair few boaters who simply don’t understand or allow for others needs being different and just call it “canal time”. Please remember that we don’t all have the luxury that you may have. 

Edited by Stroudwater1