DIY/Builders merchants canal side

Featured Posts

Just planning for the winter and have been racking my brain/memory, and I can’t think of anywhere. 

This winter I want to catch up on a few jobs, and without a car I’m looking for canal side DIY places. 

Area: BCN, Staff and Worcester, Trent and Mersey (Stoke area), Coventry. 
The Birmingham and Worcester. 

Home delivery is not on my agenda, it’s small projects I’m doing. 

And I’m the sort of person who buys the wrong size bits and bobs or forgets the bits and bobs and has to go back and forth. 

For example there must be somewhere on the BCN where I can go get an 8x4 sheet of ply and simply carry to boat? A Jewsons, Wicks or whatever? Or small independent?

Any ideas?

Thanks 👍

There are  assorted builders merchants,Screwfix et al on the other side of the towpath hedge between Tesco and the next bridge  North at Rugeley.  Not sure what access through the hedge is like,  you might have to walk round..

Also worth a look at the Coventry (B&F)  a couple or so bridges north of Fazeley.  Big retail park there which has a Screwfix.

Couple of half decent ironmongers in Atherstone.

There is a Jewsons or Travis Perkins at Wash lane bridge (21?)  in Nuneaton

N

41 minutes ago, Goliath said:

For example there must be somewhere on the BCN where I can go get an 8x4 sheet of ply and simply carry to boat? A Jewsons, Wicks or whatever? Or small independent?

Any ideas?

Thanks 👍

Hi Glenn, I recently purchased an 8x4 sheet of 18mm buffalo board and was (foolishly) surprised that they had made it 8 feet long and 4 feet wide!!

After a 50 meter dance with it on a blustery day, I realised it was akin to carrying a wriggling church. I cut a rug with it back to the yard, where much mirth was occurring.

Long story long, try and get a lift with your ply, I'd offer to help but I've got this bone in me leg.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Carrying an 8x4 sheet of ply is not a simple job at the best of times - throw in a gusting wind and it becomes quite comical !

And downright dangerous.  Got taken off my feet and thrown across Wickes car park not so long ago, trying to load a sheet of 9mm OSB onto the van roof. 😂

In answer to the original question if you have access to google, searching for diy shops in a particular area will get you a map with them marked on it, and you can zoom in to see any near your preferred canals. I’ve used it for laundrettes when out away from home waters, and it works a treat - even giving walking directions if required.

Yes I usually Google and search. And I guess it’ll come to that. 
But it’d be great if someone knew through experience of somewhere canal side. 

Boaters’ knowledge can sometimes be more up to date then Google 😃

I’ve had some good pointers already so I’ll start with them

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Carrying an 8x4 sheet of ply is not a simple job at the best of times - throw in a gusting wind and it becomes quite comical !

I find it best to have the shop cut the board in to small manageable pieces, 

then glue them all back into one large sheet back at home. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

The Tamworth Screwfix is very close to the canal. I’m not sure if that is the one referred to as Fazeley. It’s decent mooring there, surprisingly quiet considering it’s by several car showrooms and Screwfix. 

TE, Unit 1, Cardinal Point, Ventura, Kinson Dr, Tamworth B78 3JF

That is the same area where I walked to B&Q for some wood and a few tools.

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

If its not a personal question. 

Why do you need an 8x4 sheet of ply ? 

I don’t really,

just giving an example of how close I wanted to be to a store should I need to carry something big and awkward. 

Somewhere like B&Q will cut a sheet down in to whatever pieces you want anyway. 
And they sell half sheets etc. 

If close enough I could steal a trolley for 10min if I had to. 

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Goliath said:

I find it best to have the shop cut the board in to small manageable pieces, 

then glue them all back into one large sheet back at home. 

With a picture on one side? I think you'll find that's a jigsaw and you'll need to find a toy shop, not a DIY shed! :D

• Happy 1

14 hours ago, BEngo said:

A skateboard or a roller skate under one end is usually helpful if you don't have a board handle. 

N

Or you might have  suitcase with wheels, which I suspect more people would have rather than a skate board.

PS can anyone tell me the best ply for my galley, I'm going to

G Empson on Monday.

Hoping to find a local guy to fit the galley. 

I need four oak doors

A veneered ply, not sure about colour, easy clean.

4m  of 1 inch worktop cut in two pieces not just 90degree cuts.

When these places say they will cut, do they cut out the holes for sinks and for cupboards?

Ty

If a worktop needs cutting, make sure you buy something to cover the exposed edge. I doubt very much if a timber supplier will cut out holes for sinks etc. That's something which is quite precise and the holes need to be in exactly the right places. 

29 minutes ago, LadyG said:

When these places say they will cut, do they cut out the holes for sinks and for cupboards?

The likes of B&Q usually say they will do something like up to 3 free straight cuts on an 8x4 sheet. But that is for the purposes of helping you get the wood home - they are not interested in doing your job for you. And in my experience some of their staff are more careful than others in setting the saw at the dimension you have requested, so it is advisable to get them to cut oversize and then to trim it to the size required yourself.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

The likes of B&Q usually say they will do something like up to 3 free straight cuts on an 8x4 sheet. But that is for the purposes of helping you get the wood home - they are not interested in doing your job for you. And in my experience some of their staff are more careful than others in setting the saw at the dimension you have requested, so it is advisable to get them to cut oversize and then to trim it to the size required yourself.

This is not B&Q, its a proper business, its G Empson.

I'll ring them.

I don't have any means of trimming wood, or drilling out sink holes.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, haggis said:

If a worktop needs cutting, make sure you buy something to cover the exposed edge. I doubt very much if a timber supplier will cut out holes for sinks etc. That's something which is quite precise and the holes need to be in exactly the right places. 

I see a recipe for disaster.

Sourcing your own wood and equipment etc,

Getting a 3rd party to cut wood

Getting someone else to install everything

WW3 will start when the sink doesn't fit in the hole, when the cooker doesnt line up with the gas supply, ......................................

Of course - it is never the fault of the person who ordered the materails !

Its best not to micro-manage (thats when you upset the workman and he walks off leaving a party done job), tell him what colours, designs etc that you want, let him source the materials (he'll get a trade discount so he'll make a bit more money, even if he charges you the retail prices) let him cut to fit and let him install.

Only one person to blame when it doesn't work.

• Greenie 1