Americans on Holiday, An Introduction

Frankgh

Featured Posts

Greeting from Florida. Not the Miami end or the Disney middle, we are way out west near Pensacola.

I used to be a contractor working in Iraq. After Covid, I had the pleasure of sitting 16 days locked in a hotel room in Dubai for quarantine. Here I discovered David Johns and Cruising the Cut. I feel in love with the idea of cruising the canals. To make life even better, when I returned home and showed my discovery to my wife, she was as enthusiastic as I. We have watch every one of his Vlogs (but skipped the "Not-a-Vlog). Some other favorites are "Chugging Along" and "MinimalList"

Our long term dream would be after I retire in a few years, to buy a boat and cruise it for the 6 months a visa would allow us to stay in England, then sell it. We are not waiting that long for our first experience!

We have booked a 2 week holiday with Cafwin Cruises on Arthur Owl out of Droitwich Marina starting the last week of April. Why April?

A. The boat was not booked yet for that time.

2. I'm hoping to avoid the busier times.

Why Cafwin Cruises?

1. The boat looks AMAZING!

B. It has the largest bed of any hire boat I looked at!

Number C. Catherine has been greatly helpful and is a Vet. (My wife and I are too!)

We don't have a lot of interest in urban cruising in Birmingham so have planed to do the Anti-Clockwise Avon Ring. If the River Severn doesn't want to cooperate I think we will head up to King's Norton Junction and head east toward the Hatton Flight to wherever day 6 or 7 brings us, turn around have head back to Droitwich. The plan is figured on about 5 hours cruising a day. That should make for some stress free boating.

The idea of Vloging the trip is attractive but I would do all the post production after I get home. You'll just have to wait to see how our trip went!

I've been reading posts here and learning a lot. I have figured out the intricacies of Canal Plan and have the appropriate Nicholson guidebooks. Cafwin Cruises also have some detailed itineraries for some ring trips that are very helpful.

We will hit a few Pubs for chow but neither of us drink much. We are looking forward to long walks in villages, seeing old churches and taking in the countryside. We have wellingtons and raincoats but hope to have some nice spring days too.

One thing that has me curious; In many YouTube videos the men stay at the tiller while the ladies work the locks. It seems to me the more chivalrous thing would be to let my wife run the boat and let me do most of the locks. What say you?

Comments, questions or concerns? We would love to hear them!

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

In April, you're likely to have as much trouble with the Avon not co-operating as you are the Severn.  I would also think that the Avon Ring is quite a difficult one to start with for novices, especially anti-clockwise.  The locks on the river are big and can be fierce going up, and you have the flow to contend with.  I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's not one of the easier routes.

Don't be put off by urban boating either.  After all, it's where a lot of the history is.

As an alternative, have a look at doing the Black Country Ring which would give you a really good mix of town and countryside, and lots of locks, especially starting at Droitwich which would mean the Tardebigge flight both ways.  To avoid that (if the Severn is OK, you could do a combination of the Black Country and Stourport Rings.

As far as who does what, I would suggest that you take turns.

Hi,

As a new hirer don't discount an out and back journey.  We hire at least once a year and often decide to just head in a particular direction and see what happens.  The benefits are that you have lttle time pressure as you choose when to turn.  The view is completely different on the way back.  Sounds daft but it really is.  You see things you missed going out and a completely different perspective.  You can note places to have a better look at on the return journey.  We visited two museums on our return this year that we noted going out. 

As a new hirer you are learning very fast and every experience is part of the learning curve.  On the way back you are a bit more familiar with the route, locks, junctions and other infrastructure.  This allows you to relax a bit and concentrate on your boat handling skills.  If you don't push out really hard and have a day of really poor weather you can ease off, even stop for a day, and avoid boating when it is really persisting down.🙂 Time to check out the Pub you spotted on the way out.

This year we were training a new cat so had little idea how she would react to the boat.  An out and back allowed us to evaluate how she handled her new environment.  We could have just done half days or even stopped if things had gone really pear shaped.  As it turned out she was great and we went a lot further that we had expected.  The out and back is flexible according to how the journey goes.

As to who does what, try everything and do what you enjoy.  In our case, the present Mrs X suffered a brain infection which has resulted in her being unable to steer as her brain no longer computes in a way that allows the unconscious flow of balancing the various inputs steering needs.  She is still quite able to set-up, turn, and operate the locks so this is what she does.  At 4ft 11in she (and I) do get the occasional comments about our relative roles but it suits us so we crack on.  We often both operate the locks, one on each side and sort the boat using the centre line.  You develop techniques to suit your style.

Enjoy your trip

• Greenie 3

6 hours ago, Frankgh said:

One thing that has me curious; In many YouTube videos the men stay at the tiller while the ladies work the locks. It seems to me the more chivalrous thing would be to let my wife run the boat and let me do most of the locks. What say you?

It would be the more chivalrous thing.  Or perhaps sharing tasks would be the best solution.

However, for reasons unknown to me, my wife rarely drives the boat and then only when there is nothing to do but steer it. When anything like  entering locks or mooring comes up  the helm is returned to my control.

I don't think this arrangement is an issue. It's Just the way things have worked out. 

Congrats on booking with Cafwin, I know Catherine as we're in the same marina and she will go out of her way to make sure everything is spot on for your holiday. And both her boats are immaculate.

I know you say you haven't any interest in Birmingham but I really wouldn't discount a night stop there, it's a real experience and is one of the biggest historical bits of the network. 

Others have said they'd suggest the Black Country ring, I'd agree with that route as a good option, depending on the river state you could either drop down the Droitwich canal or the W&B to Worcester which is a really nice city to visit, then up the Severn to the Staffs and Worc (which is a really lovely canal, I think), or if the river's high then you have the option of going up Tardebigge. The Severn locks are automated and run by lockies so not too difficult for new hirers.

Plenty of historic places to visit on that route too, Hanbury Hall, Shugborough, Wightwick, Avoncroft museum. If you want a real slice of history then a day trip to the Black Country museum would be an option (make sure you get fish and chips there).

In answer to your other question, we just share the locks. Sometimes I will do them, sometimes Mrs G does. If we're doing a flight like Tardebigge then one of us will lock the boat through whilst the other sets ahead and then comes back and closes up, then after a few locks we'll swap over again. If we're doing wide locks, such as down the Droitwich barge canal, then I'll do the locking as the gates are really heavy.

We did our first ever cruise up the Avon from Tewkesbury, then the Srratford, then down the Worcester and Birmingham to Worcester then back to Tewkesbury, in October, many years ago. We learned very fast what not to do and had a fabulous week.Yes the Avon can be 'exciting' and the tunnels above Tardebigge were scary but fun too.

Go for it.

Looks like you've certainly done your research!

Don't be put off Urban... my favourite cruising is around Birmingham - its a mixture!

I'm always at the tiller and my wife does the locks - this is by her choice as she a. doesn't like steering the boat and b. likes the lockside chat meeting people! She also enjoys walking along the towpath, keeps her steps up!

I hope you have a great time whatever you do!!!

rob

the question of who helms who works locks always causes me some amusement.  in our case my wife has mobility issues so she helms whilst I work the locks. 

but I'm frequently baffled about perfectly able bodied gents who helm whilst the other half works the locks, the usual answer I get when I ask is that the lady  is 'worried' about scraping/damaging the boat (and the earache she would get) or doesn't have the confidence.    SWMBO on the other hand takes great delight in her lock driving skills and frequently tells me how good she is at it. Politeness stops me making any further comment. She does like to help with the locks for a change if we have crew who can helm. 

I still remember asking my reluctant wife to hold the tiller for a minute and then jumping off the boat at a bridge and leaving her to steer with me coaching her from the towpath.

She soon got used to it and for years we shared the steering including the locks until she was quite happy for me to do all the locks while she steered.

HI.

Good luck, in 1980, I met 4 Americans (Californians) at Sandford, on the Thames, they had hired a Nb, and were going up the Oxford..........We shared pints in the pub....and they drifted on, I met them in Abingdon after their week, addresses were exchanged.........a few weeks later a letter arrived, come to California, Thankyou Freddie Laker! I got there). A life long friendship developed, with many visits.........sadly the last of them died this year..........Great People, Great Country, (although I only got to know the Western States).....Taught me a lot, thanks and have a good time.

Edited by LEO

Some good advice above. Having been based at Droitwich Spa Marina for a few years so knowing the local routes pretty well, I'd throw in that you really should do Worcester. The route down to (or up from) Worcester on the B&W is easier than Barge Canal anyway, but Worcester is worth a visit for the history alone.The best of the River Severn lies between Worcester and Stourport and it's an easy half day run. Whether you do the Staffs and Worcs from there to he Stourbridge above Stewpony or carry on to Autherley and the Wolverhampton, that canal is a delight. Definitely do the Black Country Living Museum - it's one of the finest days out in the land and has good moorings. Don't let nay-sayers put you off an overnight stay in central Birmingham. Obviously you can do this either clockwise or anticlockwise.

• Greenie 2

There was a funny one today, boat coming in to wharf, bloke on tiller sends his wife to front end with centre line, and then proceeds to drift the back alongside, and uses the bowthruster to push the front end in until wife can jump off.

She walks to centre point of boat, and holds it there with the line, whilst husband gives the order for diesel, which gets filled...with wife still standing holding line....bloke doesnt leave boat, just chats to diesel filler. Once the tank is full, wife ties line to one of the 3 available bollards next to her boat, goes to the back for purse and goes in and pays. 

Whilst everyone is inside, bloke hops off(proving his legs work) wanders over to sales window, walks around, and then gets back on boat.

Wife comes out, puts purse on back end, walks forward to untie, bringing line to rear, walks to front end to push boat out!!, and walks to back and gets on.

Bloke steers.

Lazy b'stard.

My GF normally does towpath-side of the lock, while I'll drive the boat in and out; and also do the offside of the lock. Eg going down, I'll drive it in, close the offside paddle if its up, then operate the offside paddle (at the front), then open the gate, then close the gate (using a boat hook, normally works), then hover at the mouth of the lock or come into the landing to pick her up.

But sometimes she'll drive and I'll do all the lock operating. Or sometimes in a flight I'll ask her to go ahead and set it up, and I'll do all the lock operations (pretty much as a single hander might, but with the luxury of driving straight into the next lock after).

Too many variations to fully explain the various combinations of workload but you get the idea....

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, Frankgh said:

One reason might be that the ladies enjoy doing the lock wheeling - mine does, so apart from assisting once the boat is in the lock, I just have to get my fix whenever she feels like a change.

Another reason, possibly why many ladies take the above approach, is that when the bloke scrapes the boat on the way into a lock, he shrugs it off, claiming its boating and that's a thing that just happens sometimes. When the lady does the same thing, probably less frequently, the bloke has a dickie fit!

Edited by Sea Dog
Missing worms
  • Haha 1

I'll second the advice above that's along the lines of "don't worry too much and go where you wish to". Plenty of folks first experience of canals and rivers is on the rings that involve either or both of the Severn and Avon. Just take your time, read up on how things work and follow any instructions. On a two week trip the Black Country or Warwickshire rings offer a river free alternative should the rivers be in flood. Both though do involve urban boating, although to me the contrast of urban and rural canals is all part of the appeal. The passage of Wast Hill(s) Tunnel is a wonderful example.

As for who does the steering and who does the locks that's really up to each crew. It's when the steerer is glued to the tiller watching their partner struggle with a gate or stiff paddle as though they somehow can't leave the helm that I scratch my head.

If a crew of two really know what they are doing then both will be working elements of the lock. However for hirers it's generally advisable than one person remains on the helm. 

1 hour ago, Paul C said:

My GF normally does towpath-side of the lock, while I'll drive the boat in and out; and also do the offside of the lock. Eg going down, I'll drive it in, close the offside paddle if its up, then operate the offside paddle (at the front), then open the gate, then close the gate (using a boat hook, normally works), then hover at the mouth of the lock or come into the landing to pick her up.

But sometimes she'll drive and I'll do all the lock operating. Or sometimes in a flight I'll ask her to go ahead and set it up, and I'll do all the lock operations (pretty much as a single hander might, but with the luxury of driving straight into the next lock after).

Too many variations to fully explain the various combinations of workload but you get the idea....

This sounds like wonderful advice! Thank you!

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Some good advice above. Having been based at Droitwich Spa Marina for a few years so knowing the local routes pretty well, I'd throw in that you really should do Worcester. The route down to (or up from) Worcester on the B&W is easier than Barge Canal anyway, but Worcester is worth a visit for the history alone.The best of the River Severn lies between Worcester and Stourport and it's an easy half day run. Whether you do the Staffs and Worcs from there to he Stourbridge above Stewpony or carry on to Autherley and the Wolverhampton, that canal is a delight. Definitely do the Black Country Living Museum - it's one of the finest days out in the land and has good moorings. Don't let nay-sayers put you off an overnight stay in central Birmingham. Obviously you can do this either clockwise or anticlockwise.

This sounds like a great idea too. I hadn't though of doing and out and back to one location and then another.

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

I'll second the advice above that's along the lines of "don't worry too much and go where you wish to". Plenty of folks first experience of canals and rivers is on the rings that involve either or both of the Severn and Avon. Just take your time, read up on how things work and follow any instructions. On a two week trip the Black Country or Warwickshire rings offer a river free alternative should the rivers be in flood. Both though do involve urban boating, although to me the contrast of urban and rural canals is all part of the appeal. The passage of Wast Hill(s) Tunnel is a wonderful example.

As for who does the steering and who does the locks that's really up to each crew. It's when the steerer is glued to the tiller watching their partner struggle with a gate or stiff paddle as though they somehow can't leave the helm that I scratch my head.

If a crew of two really know what they are doing then both will be working elements of the lock. However for hirers it's generally advisable than one person remains on the helm. 

Teamwork makes the dream work!

Thank you all for the wonderful ideas and advice. We really can't wait! You al are a great, friendly crowd!

Are the locks on the Severn manned everyday during the time (late April) when we will be visiting? I understand during the winter you must call ahead and some days they are not available. Or do I have that wrong?

24 minutes ago, Frankgh said:

Are the locks on the Severn manned everyday during the time (late April) when we will be visiting? I understand during the winter you must call ahead and some days they are not available. Or do I have that wrong?

Good question. The intention is that they should be open every day from Easter onwards but that depends upon there being enough staff/volunteers.

While you should be OK in late April because Easter Day can't be later than about April 25th you probably won't know for certain until CRT post a notice reagrding 2024 opening times which will probably be sometime next February or March.

This year the locks were open every day but only for set hours that enabled one keeper to shuttle between them.

ETA - a correction because I used the wrong form of there/their/they're. God forbid.

Edited by Captain Pegg

1 hour ago, Frankgh said:

This sounds like a great idea too. I hadn't though of doing and out and back to one location and then another.

You would do those routes as a ring in either direction, either as a smaller or larger loop depending on time and/or  your progress.

Some 30 years ago while awaiting our passage through the staircase locks on the Llangollen, I got chatting to the crew of the boat in front of us. They turned out to be two American couples making their annual  holiday on the canals. They had been coming over for a few years doing different parts of the system and said there was nothing quite like it anywhere else.  I'm sure you will enjoy it.  

PS. I usually do the locks while my wife steers,  although I normally do most of the steering between locks, especially if it is raining! 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

On 17/08/2023 at 00:50, Frankgh said:

Comments, questions or concerns? We would love to hear them!

Firstly, welcome to the forum. I'll look forward to hearing about your adventures in due course.

Secondly, I suggest you both try to do all aspects of boating.

When I first persuaded my wife to go boating many moons ago, she steered and I did the locks. Then one day whilst she was entering an uphill lock, as soon as I had closed the bottom gates the crew of the boat that had arrived above, fully opened the paddles before my wife had even stopped the boat. As a result the boat was pulled forwards and hit the cill and top gate very hard. Since then she has refused to be on the boat in a lock, and I am deprived of the pleasure of locking (unless I'm single handing), only being allowed to open or close the odd stiff gate or paddle :(

Edited by cuthound
missing apostrophe

Hey neighbor! You story sounds much like ours. We are north of you in North AL.  Retiring in a couple of  years and we plan on getting  Visas so we can stay long term.  Have plans on renting a boat next year for a few weeks to test the waters so speak.  Amazing how similar our stories are.

On 17/08/2023 at 13:27, Captain Pegg said:

Good question. The intention is that they should be open every day from Easter onwards but that depends upon there being enough staff/volunteers.

While you should be OK in late April because Easter Day can't be later than about April 25th you probably won't know for certain until CRT post a notice reagrding 2024 opening times which will probably be sometime next February or March.

This year the locks were open every day but only for set hours that enabled one keeper to shuttle between them.

ETA - a correction because I used the wrong form of there/their/they're. God forbid.

This is great to know, thank you. I have signed up for CRT notifications!

On 17/08/2023 at 14:30, Sea Dog said:

You would do those routes as a ring in either direction, either as a smaller or larger loop depending on time and/or  your progress.

The options really seem limited to the imagination and how many locks a day one is willing to work.

As C.S. Lewis said, "Adventures never fun while you are having them." I think there is a little hyperbole there but I like to repeat that to myself!

On 17/08/2023 at 19:18, Ronaldo47 said:

Some 30 years ago while awaiting our passage through the staircase locks on the Llangollen, I got chatting to the crew of the boat in front of us. They turned out to be two American couples making their annual  holiday on the canals. They had been coming over for a few years doing different parts of the system and said there was nothing quite like it anywhere else.  I'm sure you will enjoy it.  

PS. I usually do the locks while my wife steers,  although I normally do most of the steering between locks, especially if it is raining! 

I really look forward to meeting friendly folks along the way.

Of course I would be at the helm during less than perfect weather!

On 18/08/2023 at 08:10, cuthound said:

Firstly, welcome to the forum. I'll look forward to hearing about your adventures in due course.

Secondly, I suggest you both try to do all aspects of boating.

When I first persuaded my wife to go boating many moons ago, she steered and I did the locks. Then one day whilst she was entering an uphill lock, as soon as I had closed the bottom gates the crew of the boat that had arrived above, fully opened the paddles before my wife had even stopped the boat. As a result the boat was pulled forwards and hit the cill and top gate very hard. Since then she has refused to be on the boat in a lock, and I am deprived of the pleasure of locking (unless I'm single handing), only being allowed to open or close the odd stiff gate or paddle :(

For some reason I pictured one person just standing at the tiller while the otrher runs around running the bits of the locks. Thank all of you for helping break this paradigm! 

On 18/08/2023 at 08:23, Kudzucraft said:

Hey neighbor! You story sounds much like ours. We are north of you in North AL.  Retiring in a couple of  years and we plan on getting  Visas so we can stay long term.  Have plans on renting a boat next year for a few weeks to test the waters so speak.  Amazing how similar our stories are.

Ahoy! We will be there 21 April. When is your trip planed? 

I did look at long term leases but I dare say it would be economically viable to purchase a boat and then sell it after the visa expires. 

Have you had any luck on figuring out how to stay more than 6 months? Some places in Asian counties you can just pop across a boarder to reset your tourist visa clock. England is not have that as I understand.