First "Continuous" Cruise

DShK

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

The point is in decades there haven't been any "issues".   Recently there was mention of somebody jumping off taking the stern rope which wasn't attached to the dolly.   Not major but an "issue" I have never had an issue.

I also note every time I have mentioned it on the forum I haven't been inundated By "it happened to me" but always "it might happen"  experience shows that for me on the boat it hasn't and is most unlikely to happen

Lots of boaters have never cilled their boat, but it happens, or slipped off the Gunwale, been knocked off the counter by the tiller or forgotten to put the weed hatch lid on correctly.  These thing do happen and we need to be on our guard against them and try not to let them happen to us. 

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

True.   However, if you try to avoid every problem which might happen you wouldn't be boating.

I often hear comments similar to yours but as yet have never had anybody say "yes it happened to me".  It seems to be people who think it might happen rather than a knowledge base of it has happened X number of times or RCR say its the Y most common call out.

I once got held up by a boat in the narrows at Marple Junction, he was just clearing something off his propellor. Turned out to be his rope which had been coiled over his tiller. He got the rope off and spent ages with a magnet trying to retrieve his tiller pin.

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

Lots of boaters have never cilled their boat, but it happens, or slipped off the Gunwale, been knocked off the counter by the tiller or forgotten to put the weed hatch lid on correctly.  These thing do happen and we need to be on our guard against them and try not to let them happen to us. 

True just as I am on my guard with regard to the stern line and how I know it has never moved at all.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Jerra said:

The point is in decades there haven't been any "issues".   Recently there was mention of somebody jumping off taking the stern rope which wasn't attached to the dolly.   Not major but an "issue" I have never had an issue.

I also note every time I have mentioned it on the forum I haven't been inundated By "it happened to me" but always "it might happen"  experience shows that for me on the boat it hasn't and is most unlikely to happen

As usual, one person's experience doesn't mean that the same applies to everyone... 😉

What is "best" for skilled attentive experienced boaters is not necessarily "best" for less-skilled less-attentive newbies, so maybe people should bear that in mind when posting advice... 😉

Having the rope coiled and hung on the tiller pin or coiled on the cabin slide will be fine almost all the time for almost everyone, except for the occasional cock-up like knocking the rope off the pin and round the prop or throwing the entire rope overboard -- which have both happened to other people (I've seen both) even if they've never happened to you... 🙂

(and both are *far* better than the oft-observed practice of just dropping the rope in a mess -- or even coiling it up -- at the rear of the stern next to the dollies, just *asking* to be kicked overboard...)

Edited by IanD

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Not everyone has the latest phone or tablet and not all places have internet. Can you believe that?

The paper maps are preferred by plenty of people. I prefer the simple life when travelling. Not everyone is welded to technology every minute of the day

The types of mapping I've referred to will work perfectly well on a £30 tablet and can be made avaialble offline.  That's cheaper than paper maps and with far more functionality.

15 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Because it just looks completely naff to have the stern line coiled on the tiller pin?

To who?

I think boats covered in fake rivets look naff, but if that's the choice of their owner than good for them 🙂

• Happy 1

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

Might help if that list was tidied up to remove all the boats no longer trading. And a map to show the areas each covers would be good too.

The boats that are no longer trading are shown in grey so that it can be seen that they are no longer trading and not just forgotten to be included!
For example, someone looking for 'Bargus' will find the information that 'Halsall' covers the area.

I have, however, moved all the boats no longer trading to the foot of the page. I hope you find that more helpful.

As for a map, many of the traders change where they operate from time to time so it would quickly become out of date. It's easier to change the text of an entry when someone lets me know rather than to modify a map. But if you would like to create a map, David,  I would be happy to include it.

Edited by MartinClark
  • Greenie 3

3 hours ago, Jerra said:

But you're only sampling the forum, which is always going to be a certain *type* of person. Most people I talk to shrug when I mention the forums, only a couple of people knew of it (saying that, they did say everyone here likes to be sensationalist!)

I had a very bad rope habit when coming up the Northampton arm.

I used to leave the rope attached to the port dolly and throw the rest into the rear cabin. Reason for this was as I stepped off to close the gate I would throw the rope coil onto the bank so if the boat got too far out of the recess I could retrieve the boat. Shut the gate collect the rope and bung it back in the cabin. This meant there was always a rope across the counter as a trip hazard. Strangely it's the only flight I ever did it on and then only in the thick.

On 12/06/2023 at 12:28, LadyG said:

I have long centrelines, if I'm cruising they sit on the cabin top in front of me, neatly coiled.

If I go ashore I take one with me.

If I have to return the line to the boat I coil the end and drop it down the open sliding hatch.

I'll bet you get some funny looks when you go shopping or to the pub... 😂😅

Edited by cuthound
To remove a full stop masquerading as a space.
  • Haha 1

On 12/06/2023 at 12:30, John Brightley said:

I think you've been very lucky. Most experienced boaters wouldn't do it. It's simple to take the rope off the stud and coil it away out of the way to avoid any issues.

I've been doing it for 50 years without a mishap so far. I do however take care to tuck the end of the line under the could to prevent it from easily slipping out.

I used to faff about with stern line, but in the end, after two mini incidents, I put it where I can see it, where in sits the windlass, so I have either ready if needed, remember that stern rope might be used to retrieve person in the water, or for other purposes,  though I am going to attach a shorter, floating line to my life ring to allow me to throw and retrieve. It's the daft boating season and I expect to see paddle boaters learning to balance,  canoes in tunnels, and cheapo inflatables sold to the naive. I saw someone with a nice blue inflatable the other day, sitting in full glare of midday sun, like an overinflated balloon!

Edited by LadyG

On 12/06/2023 at 12:30, John Brightley said:

I think you've been very lucky. Most experienced boaters wouldn't do it. It's simple to take the rope off the stud and coil it away out of the way to avoid any issues.

Five and a half years of good luck for me then!

On 12/06/2023 at 18:06, GUMPY said:

I had a very bad rope habit when coming up the Northampton arm.

I used to leave the rope attached to the port dolly and throw the rest into the rear cabin. Reason for this was as I stepped off to close the gate I would throw the rope coil onto the bank so if the boat got too far out of the recess I could retrieve the boat. Shut the gate collect the rope and bung it back in the cabin. This meant there was always a rope across the counter as a trip hazard. Strangely it's the only flight I ever did it on and then only in the thick.

When long lining with a butty you can end up with a couple of hundred feet of rope on the counter so I feed that in to the cabin otherwise it is all coiled up at your feet ready for you to trip over.

On 12/06/2023 at 16:59, DShK said:

But you're only sampling the forum, which is always going to be a certain *type* of person. Most people I talk to shrug when I mention the forums, only a couple of people knew of it (saying that, they did say everyone here likes to be sensationalist!)

I'm another who hangs the line over the tiller pin and to be honest I struggle to understand the issue. If it's hanging on a tall enough pin, I can only shift it by actively lifting it up and off the pin, so just don't see how a problem might arise.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Ewan123 said:

I'm another who hangs the line over the tiller pin and to be honest I struggle to understand the issue. If it's hanging on a tall enough pin, I can only shift it by actively lifting it up and off the pin, so just don't see how a problem might arise.

I too have used the tiller pin for the stern line for decades.

I stopped though, the day I grabbed the line and accidentally lifted the tiller pin out with the line and it fell in the Thames. 

1 hour ago, MtB said:

I too have used the tiller pin for the stern line for decades.

I stopped though, the day I grabbed the line and accidentally lifted the tiller pin out with the line and it fell in the Thames. 

Easily resolved by putting a keyring (the double circle type) through the bottom hole on the tiller pin.

Why you could even put a tiller tassel on it to make it look pretty.

https://www.tradline.co.uk/tassels--bell-ropes-59-c.asp

8 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Easily resolved by putting a keyring (the double circle type) through the bottom hole on the tiller pin.

Yeah but, I'd have to retrieve it from the bottom of the Thames first.....

• Haha 1