Mooring Problems

exmember290323

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, MtB said:

How about discussing guvvermint ministers keeping prattling on about their plan to house refugees in "barges"?

I've faintly concerned they are actually think the 30,000 boats on the cut are empty, unused and are planning to park 30,000 people in them. 

(That should get the popcorn boxes rattling..).

Nah, that bloke down Richmond way has probably just been given the contract to house them.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Nah, that bloke down Richmond way has probably just been given the contract to house them.

I seem to remember last time they tried stuffing them into cruise ships there were outbreaks of all sorts of unpleasant diseases which risked contagion of quite a wide area. Which is why the concept got knocked on the head before.

Narrowboats,  though... Any boat dumped on the towpath for more than a week without someone living on board being commandered as accomodation for a refugee - I could go for that...

Edited by Arthur Marshall

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I seem to remember last time they tried stuffing them into cruise ships there were outbreaks of all sorts of unpleasant diseases which risked contagion of quite a wide area. Which is why the concept got knocked on the head before.

A lovely word, contagion.

I've got a barge which would suit a family of nine as long as seven sleep on camping bedmats.

It's £20 pp p day. Cheaper than wot the govt pay at the moment.

Adjacent to services. One minute from supermarket with WC and whb.

Ethnic catering with local delivery.

Edited by LadyG

6 hours ago, David Mack said:

So why did you put the issue on here in the first place?

6 hours ago, exmember290323 said:

Is that your attempt to start making excuses for being a jackass.

No. You presented a situation about which you (presumably) wanted advice from forum members. I posted a couple of questions back to try and clarify the actual issue, and what you wanted to achieve, as did several others. And then when the replies didn't seem to find favour with you, you deleted your original post and started sounding off.

So obviously my initial assumption that you actually wanted help with an issue was wrong. Which again leads me to ask what the purpose of posting here in the first place was.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

They're gone Brian, like a windlass left at a busy lock

Gone with the Windlass

4 hours ago, MtB said:

How about discussing guvvermint ministers keeping prattling on about their plan to house refugees in "barges"?

I've faintly concerned they are actually think the 30,000 boats on the cut are empty, unused and are planning to park 30,000 people in them. 

(That should get the popcorn boxes rattling..).

Nah, just the ones on leisure moorings, nobody lives on them for most of the year ;) 

And imagine what the CRT could do with the funds sent to Rwanda!

1 hour ago, enigmatic said:

And imagine what the CRT could do with the funds sent to Rwanda!

think how many blue signs that would buy and they could have 'proper' CRT aware signs to fit to all the faulty Paddle gear 🙂  

coat...

On 27/03/2023 at 12:44, MtB said:

Its beginning to look as though the OP has been renting an illegitimate mooring and been told by CRT to "Continue with your journey".

If that is the case then to be fair to her I think she might have some grounds for a refund - assuming she was unaware that this was an illegitimate mooring.

Although it's true that she had use of the mooring she's paid for over the past 2 years, part of having a home mooring is some degree of security of tenure. Although you might get legally kicked off a non-residential mooring for almost any reason, you don't expect to lose your mooring because you suddenly find out it wasn't a legitimate mooring in the first place.

That's just my layman's view anyway.

However, since the OP seems like a rather nasty piece of work herself I don't really care about the outcome.

• Greenie 1

“, ….you don't expect to lose your mooring because you suddenly find out it wasn't a legitimate mooring in the first place.”

Had she registered her home mooring with CART, as CART might expect, then she would have found out that it was not legitimate?  For two years? CART might have moved her on.

If I were the respondent, I would argue she knew, she enjoyed the mooring she paid for, didn't want to be moved on, and was complicit.

It might seem harsh, but the saying, “put up or shut up,”  comes to mind.

Edited by Peanut
put up

27 minutes ago, blackrose said:

part of having a home mooring is some degree of security of tenure.

Nope. No security of tenure with any mooring. The most you get is that if you have paid in advance you can't be made to leave before the period you have paid for is up.

29 minutes ago, blackrose said:

If that is the case then to be fair to her I think she might have some grounds for a refund - assuming she was unaware that this was an illegitimate mooring.

I'm guessing really, but it's possible that some of the negativity towards the OP was due to a feeling that claiming a refund for a service you had used for 2 years could be viewed by some people as being slightly avaricious or grasping behaviour? 

Maybe people are reacting to her based on their view of the ethics of the thing?

Claiming a refund in that scenario would feel unfair to me personally, and its not something I personally would ever contemplate, but we all have our human failings I guess, and so I wouldn't want to name-call as such. 

12 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

I'm guessing really, but it's possible that some of the negativity towards the OP was due to a feeling that claiming a refund for a service you had used for 2 years could be viewed by some people as being slightly avaricious or grasping behaviour?

As the OP never clarified the position in any way, who's to know? But if they did indeed pay for a mooring for two years and it was then found that the mooring 'seller' was charging fraudulently as they had no rights to the land, then it seems to me it would be the actual land owner who was being defrauded, not the person who had the benefit of a place to moor - certainly that was the party who lost out financialy.

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di
  • Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

What alienated her for me was as soon as she opened her foul-mouth and started a vicious and threatening tirade against Ditchcrawler and Peanut

I missed that. Were these posts deleted?

21 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

What alienated her for me was as soon as she opened her foul-mouth and started a vicious and threatening tirade against Ditchcrawler and Peanut

I missed those remarks but throughout the conversation it was full of anger and dead ends - remarkable really, as they have attacked some of the most reasonable people on here, and Tam was in a great position to assist as someone very much experienced and involved with moorings.  

What i took from it was the strong aense of entitlement common in a number of modern boaters.

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

It was more the mooring pin in the mouth for me

That seems a little unnecessary...

All she did to me was call me an "asshole". Had a point I suppose. 

Oh, and (sort of) threaten to break my windows. 

9 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I'll just leave this here🥴👿

She seems so happy and cheerful in that thread. Strange how owning a boat seems to make some people into angry, demanding, entitled buttholes isn't it? 

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

Strange how owning a boat seems to make some people into angry, demanding, entitled buttholes isn't it? 

Oy, I own a boat. Are you calling me an entitled butthole? 

I'm not saying you're wrong, but honour must be served. I shall meet you at dawn with my finest handbag.