Notice Alert

Oxford Canal
Starts At: Braunston Junction CSF
Ends At: Braunston Junction CSF

Thursday 12 January 2023 15:00 until further notice

Type: Advice
Reason: Repair

Original message:

The Elsan is out of order, due to several blockages.

We are trying to get to the bottom of this, please bear with us.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/24065/braunston-junction-csf

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

Yeah but, yeah but, if the contractor cleared the blockage to a large bore pipe then the blockage would flow away.

Im not convinced, boaters tip away large quantities of wipes ‘lids?’ And other unwanted items.

During Covid the elsan at Banbury had continuous blockages. I was eventually told that the contractor had carried out camera survey of pipe work. The result being that the pipes had collapsed and needed major repairs. Now, I know the route of the sewage pipes this meant digging up the adjacent bus station forecourt. For the past couple of years there has been minimal blockages, if at all any, in Banbury. I had kept on about my theory of blockage clearance over possibly two years to CRT.

As far as I’m aware the bus station hasn’t been ‘tampered’ with.

Just my opinion of course. 

Edited by Nightwatch

16 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

I've heard of an endif, but what is an elsan?

It is a Spanish resort town close to Càdiz. El Puerto Del San. You can see the stools floating down the tidal river by the breakwater if you get there at the right time. 

34 minutes ago, Creaking Gate said:

They clear them until they free flow and if requested camera survey.  The problem is that lids, nappies or whatever else boaters throw down them move and the blockage frees and then they block up again.  I know this as i asked that very question. Camera surveys are not cheap so its a balancing act.    

Now if people took some care and used the right papers, didn't throw nappies, wet wipes, toilets wipes. blue hand towels etc down them then they wouldn't block, contractor wouldn't be called and there would be no issues. 

Just saying 

Maybe signage ? 

il_300x300.3510149779_43sd.jpg

With some alterations for English language and you could add "Warning: faeces may rise to explosive levels Bark Woof Grrrr.."

• Haha 1

On 13/01/2023 at 12:33, Nightwatch said:

Im not convinced, boaters tip away large quantities of wipes ‘lids?’ And other unwanted items.

I have seen a disposable BBQ removed from one, I have also seen postings where people can buy a new cap from as they flushed the old one. I have stopped people using "Flushable" wipes on my boat, thankfully before they used them.

On 13/01/2023 at 12:09, Creaking Gate said:

They clear them until they free flow and if requested camera survey.  The problem is that lids, nappies or whatever else boaters throw down them move and the blockage frees and then they block up again.  I know this as i asked that very question. Camera surveys are not cheap so its a balancing act.    

Now if people took some care and used the right papers, didn't throw nappies, wet wipes, toilets wipes. blue hand towels etc down them then they wouldn't block, contractor wouldn't be called and there would be no issues. 

Just saying 

You could add self pump outs to the list of likely problems as elsan units were never designed to take such a huge influx of Richards.