Avon Ring. A novices guide? Maybe?! Say hello!

MumHunOnTheCanal

Featured Posts

Heya! 

We are a crew of 3 - me (32), partner (39) and the baby (4) 

We took the plunge and did a 7 night holiday earlier in the summer and loved it so much that we have just booked a last minute trip for 11 nights starting Monday! 

I am after some general advice and tips! After scrolling through several forums and facebook groups I see that us "holiday" boaters get a very bad rap, which makes me nervous about posting to be honest, but hey! Here I am, We don't claim to know it all, but it would be great to learn! I must admit that it was quite sobering how little "training" you are given before being handed a very big boat!! My partner has been boating before as a child, so felt a little more confident than I did - but still!!! We took too it quite quickly and were soon enjoying ourselves along the canal! 

I must say that one of the things that really struck me is how friendly other boaters were along the way - which is why I was so shocked to be reading such negative things online. It's a real shame, but also can understand that there probably are some imbeciles out there and it probably does get very frustrating. I must admit that I was shouted at quite aggressively along the K&A by a group of men for going too fast, a polite "oh hey hun, slow down a bit" would have been better! Knocked my confidence a little as was a genuine mistake - I just didn't think, but like I say - I dont claim to know it all and actually that was a learning experience, despite the aggression! 

Anyway, I digress. 

We are doing the Avon Ring clockwise out of Alvechurch. We live on the Isle of Wight so the area in itself is also totally unknown to us. It would be really great to get some tips for places to stop / places of interest and overnight mooring spots! 

Also grateful for any general boating advice. Anything you wish you had known when you first started? Or feel that us novices should know?

I think that this will be the start of a long boating life for our little family and would like to start as we mean to go on in a positive way! 

Lots of Love

MH x

• Happy 1

Don't for one moment feel that beginners are unwelcome - anyone who takes that attitude is looking for extinction. Just look at most of the boats/crews out this year. We need beginners - all the time.

You have already cracked the most important element - recognising that you do not know everything! One of the hard bits is still remembering that after the first five days.

Too often those who deride beginners (we all had to start somewhere) are not actually much more skilled than those very beginners (some hirers are actually very experienced, just not in a position to keep a boat right now).

Remember the boater equivalent of the carpenter's adage : cut one, measure twice. Never let anyone including lockies, push you into doing something hastily. 'hastily' is not an absolute quantity but relative to the person and their experience and skill set (some people you will meet are  experienced but not skilled) . Take the time not only to check what the next step is but also what follows.

• Greenie 2

Don't worry about being beginners, we all have to learn.

If anyone gets on to you about being a learner just say "Were you never a beginner?"

Up until recently I visited a retired narrowboat captain who came from six generations of Oxford boat people, when he retired and started leisure boating he had "experts" telling him he wasn't doing things properly.

Enjoy your boating.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

At this time of the year keep an eye on the weather, the Avon and the Severn can flood quite quickly.  The Avon has good flood safe moorings and you will probably do Tewkesbury to Worcester in a day so may not moor overnight on the Severn.

Going clockwise from Alvechurch, you will have the Tardebigge flight of 30 locks at the end of your trip. They are a nice flight to work, but make sure you allow yourself enough time to complete the flight, especially as the evenings are now drawing in.

At Stratford, most boats just turn right and head downstream on the Avon. But the river is navigable for some distance upstream, so don't miss the opportunity to do that section. It is easy to boat up to the Red House where there is bags of room to turn at the bend. The intrepid can carry on a bit further upstream, up to Alveston Weir if there is enough water, but that section is not so straightforward for the inexperienced or those with deep drafted boats.

There’s a useful guidebook you can get from the Avon Navigation Trust, showing you all the lock approaches, some of which can be a bit confusing.  The other confusing thing is that Avon locks have two names — one a location, and one the name of the sponsor who helped pay for restoration.  Locks on the Upper Avon have overnight moorings marked with blue poles.  If you like nice remote moorings, sometimes on a lock island that you can’t get off of, then some of these are fantastic.  The lower Avon has fewer mooring places, so a bit more planning is required.

Tewkesbury lock looks like a nightmare to get into, but the lock keeper will sort you out.  Make sure you go far enough out into the Severn before turning, otherwise you’ll get stuck on the sand bar.  In Worcester, you can moor on a pontoon on the river locks up onto the canal, or you can go up and moor above.

Depending on time and inclination, an alternative route would be to stay on the river and come off onto the Droitwich Canals.

As has been said above, make sure you leave yourself enough time to do the Tardebigge flight at the end of the trip.

Sure you’ll have a great time.  The Avon is a lovely river, and the ring gives you lots of different types of waterways.

2 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

Hello. The Avon Ring was the first canal boating I ever did, back in 1989, and it’s a wonderful trip though I did it anti clockwise but I can’t remember why. You will love it I’m sure. 

Possibly because its much easier to go down the Severn and up the Avon especially if there has been any rain.  

The inland waterways do tend to attract a good number of grumpy folk, don’t take much notice and just enjoy your holiday.

You will need to buy a license for the river Avon, this is done online, a “short term” 7 day through license, £50.

A few observations about the river Avon from my trips along it in both directions earlier in the year:

If you buy the guide book, take its contents with a pinch of salt, it is not particularly accurate. I assume the content is simply out of date and they don’t bother to warn you of this.

The Avon in general is lovely to navigate, but I advise that you are very careful in the approach to and transit through Evesham Lock, it is awful. Upstream the lock landing is the walkway along the top of the weir (contrary to the guide book), and depending on the water level can seriously damage the cabin sides as the piles are set back some way from the edge of the actual walkway. Combined with the slight pull from the weir, I witnessed it do damage to more than one boat in quick succession. The lock itself is quite fierce, but take your time and all will be fine.

Moorings are quite sparse and there is only sufficient room for one or two boats at a number of the designated moorings. Pleasant places with plenty of mooring spaces are Pershore and above Offenham lock.

For such a large place, Tewkesbury has very few public moorings. It is common to have to double up on the moorings, so don’t be shy in asking if this is what you need to do.

It was the first time we had been along the Avon upstream of Stratford, but contrary to what others have said, I did not find it particularly clear where to turn around. I think we turned at what would be called ‘The Red House’ but we couldn’t see a red house nor was there a sign to say the end of navigation – so maybe we turned in the wrong place! However, where we did turn was very shallow on the inside of the bend (with rocks) and the outside of the bend was stacked full of reeds and I wouldn’t want to try and turn a 70ft boat there, for sure.

Navigating the rivers is somewhat different to the canals, but I'm sure you will enjoy the contrast.

• Love 1

58 minutes ago, MrBean said:

The inland waterways do tend to attract a good number of grumpy folk, don’t take much notice and just enjoy your holiday.

You will need to buy a license for the river Avon, this is done online, a “short term” 7 day through license, £50.

One would hope that when you hire a boat all the necessary licences are in place.

• Greenie 1

We just did about 3/4 of the Avon Ring. It's  a splendid route with good stopping places. Overnight moorings are scarce on the Avon itself but we had no issues by arriving early. Places you may wish to consider are Lowsonford and Wilmcote on the South Stratford. Stratford (naturally) Bidford, rather than the Frog if you like a good pub walk back upstream to Barton there's a path from the bridge across the fields. The 'Cottage of Content' is a cracking and very friendly pub. Then there's the Bridge inn just before Evesham going downstream, The Anchor at Wyre Piddle has moorings too but Pershore offers a lot more options. Tewkesbury is great as is Upton. Worcester has lots to offer and if you get time drop down to Droitwich Spa. We carried on the Stourport but its only half a day back to Hanbury. You will enjoy it and it won't  be too challenging. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, MrBean said:

It was the first time we had been along the Avon upstream of Stratford, but contrary to what others have said, I did not find it particularly clear where to turn around. I think we turned at what would be called ‘The Red House’ but we couldn’t see a red house nor was there a sign to say the end of navigation – so maybe we turned in the wrong place! However, where we did turn was very shallow on the inside of the bend (with rocks) and the outside of the bend was stacked full of reeds and I wouldn’t want to try and turn a 70ft boat there, for sure.

This was how far we got in 2014. The Red House is at the 90 degree bend on the map between the text for 'Alveston' and 'Tiddington' on the map. There is plenty of width and depth to turn a 70 footer here.

35 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

One would hope that when you hire a boat all the necessary licences are in place.

The hire boat will not have an Avon licence, the hirer will need to buy one.  

Make certain that you ask the hire company to put an anchor on the boat, if there is not one already on it.

For me going clockwise it preferable as the Avon locks are much easier going down.

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, David Mack said:

This was how far we got in 2014. The Red House is at the 90 degree bend on the map between the text for 'Alveston' and 'Tiddington' on the map. There is plenty of width and depth to turn a 70 footer here.

Interesting, we did turn at Red House then. Didn't see the end of navigation sign either.

If 2014 was your last visit, I wonder whether the reeds have encroached into the river somewhat since. In a 60ft boat the bow was well and truly in the reeds and rock was clearly visible just behind the stern, I'd say 6" below the surface.

Now I may have got my angles wrong and there could be a better approach, but it was pouring with rain at the time (that's my excuse anyway🙂 ), and I couldn't see a better alternative.

You'll get lots of advice here and I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

I think easiest to do the ring clockwise, as I find the locks on the Avon much easier going downstream.

My main tips would be watch the opening hours on the Avon lock (Tewkesbury) and particularly the Diglis lock on the Severn at Worcester. You do not want to arrive after it has closed for the day. The only decent mooring spot between Tewkesbury and Worcester is at Upton, which is a lovely spot to moor but usually the 'proper' moorings (upstream of the bridge) are full and mooring on the wall sometimes requires a bit of ingenuity.  Watch the river levels too, the Severn builds slowly but the Avon can rise dramatically quickly. There are simple red-amber-green gauges at each lock. 

Good moorings on the Avon at Stratford, Harvington, Offenham, Evesham (though can be noisy), Pershore, Tewkesbury. Also at most locks but as others have said they are often on lock islands or otherwise remote. Talking of remote, lots of the ring is. Stock up on food. Obviously good shops in the towns. On the Stratford, Lowsonford (Fleur de Lys), Preston Bagot (Crab Mill), Wilmcote are good stopping points. Lapworth nice too, there's decent mooring near The Boot.

EDIT - Bevere lock is closed so you can't do the Droitwich Canal from the Severn.  Not sure whether it is easier to do the extra bit on the Severn and the Droitwich or to go straight up the W&B. Probably easier to do the latter but the former is perhaps nicer. If you do the Droitwich,  moorings are very scarce indeed. After passing Hawford there's not really anything until Netherwich basin in Droitwich.  

The locks on the South Stratford are awkwardly spaced out, I always find a bicycle really useful on this stretch (Lapworth - Preston Bagot). By contrast the Lapworth flight on the North Stratford is one of the easiest sets of locks on the system.  Finally, I'd avoid mooring in the Kings Norton area. Get along the Stratford a fair way before stopping (e.g. the drawbridge at Shirley).

Also - Avon above Stratford,  I've done it many times and never found it particularly easy to turn (60ft). Obviously no trouble at all in a 40 footer.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, MumHunOnTheCanal said:

I must admit that I was shouted at quite aggressively along the K&A by a group of men for going too fast, a polite "oh hey hun, slow down a bit" would have been better! Knocked my confidence a little as was a genuine mistake - I just didn't think, but like I say - I dont claim to know it all and actually that was a learning experience, despite the aggression! 

Don't worry about it. It's actually the "show down" shouters who are likely to be the most inexperienced type of boaters on the waterways. Most of them have never ventured off the canals onto rivers and many have never taken their boats any further than their local area of canal. All they do is moor up and shout at passing boats and most of them don't even know how to moor up properly which is why their boats bang into each other. 

Boats are meant to move on the water. If they wanted something more static they should have bought a caravan.

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Don't worry about it. It's actually the "show down" shouters who are likely to be the most inexperienced type of boaters on the waterways. Most of them have never ventured off the canals onto rivers and many have never taken their boats any further than their local area of canal. All they do is moor up and shout at passing boats and most of them don't even know how to moor up properly which is why their boats bang into each other. 

Boats are meant to move on the water. If they wanted something more static they should have bought a caravan.

That is absolutely the best response I could have hoped for, and so accurate. Obviously I won't go about the place at a million miles an hour - I'll still retain a slow and steady pace, but that's really put my mind at ease! Thank you x

2 hours ago, fatmanblue said:

You'll get lots of advice here and I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

I think easiest to do the ring clockwise, as I find the locks on the Avon much easier going downstream.

My main tips would be watch the opening hours on the Avon lock (Tewkesbury) and particularly the Diglis lock on the Severn at Worcester. You do not want to arrive after it has closed for the day. The only decent mooring spot between Tewkesbury and Worcester is at Upton, which is a lovely spot to moor but usually the 'proper' moorings (upstream of the bridge) are full and mooring on the wall sometimes requires a bit of ingenuity.  Watch the river levels too, the Severn builds slowly but the Avon can rise dramatically quickly. There are simple red-amber-green gauges at each lock. 

Good moorings on the Avon at Stratford, Harvington, Offenham, Evesham (though can be noisy), Pershore, Tewkesbury. Also at most locks but as others have said they are often on lock islands or otherwise remote. Talking of remote, lots of the ring is. Stock up on food. Obviously good shops in the towns. On the Stratford, Lowsonford (Fleur de Lys), Preston Bagot (Crab Mill), Wilmcote are good stopping points. Lapworth nice too, there's decent mooring near The Boot.

EDIT - Bevere lock is closed so you can't do the Droitwich Canal from the Severn.  Not sure whether it is easier to do the extra bit on the Severn and the Droitwich or to go straight up the W&B. Probably easier to do the latter but the former is perhaps nicer. If you do the Droitwich,  moorings are very scarce indeed. After passing Hawford there's not really anything until Netherwich basin in Droitwich.  

The locks on the South Stratford are awkwardly spaced out, I always find a bicycle really useful on this stretch (Lapworth - Preston Bagot). By contrast the Lapworth flight on the North Stratford is one of the easiest sets of locks on the system.  Finally, I'd avoid mooring in the Kings Norton area. Get along the Stratford a fair way before stopping (e.g. the drawbridge at Shirley).

Also - Avon above Stratford,  I've done it many times and never found it particularly easy to turn (60ft). Obviously no trouble at all in a 40 footer.

Thank you for all of these pointers - we've got a 66ft boat! Ha ha! Same as we had last time, so will look forward to the tricky turn! 

This isn't the first suggestion I have seen of avoiding the Kings Norton area - which is where I think we are due to stop for the first night (according to what I have inputted on canal plan....) having said that, depending on when we collect the boat we may lose light anyway - something I had thought about but forgotten. I think I had put in for 4 hours on the first afternoon which got us to KN - but if we set off at 2.30 that takes us past 6pm. May have to rethink that and find somewhere before there and then make up the time the following day. 

Will keep an eye on the flood gauges - sorry for sounding stupid, but what happens if it floods? Will we need to turn around? I'm guessing it could be rather dangerous? I have checked the forecast a couple of times and it looks like we will get a shower or two but nothing major.... fingers crossed xxx

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

The hire boat will not have an Avon licence, the hirer will need to buy one.  

Make certain that you ask the hire company to put an anchor on the boat, if there is not one already on it.

For me going clockwise it preferable as the Avon locks are much easier going down.

thank you for clarifying this. We did the K&A and Thames last time and ABC ensured we had the correct licenses. I will make sure I check this with them Monday and arrange whatever necessary x 

4 hours ago, MrBean said:

A few observations about the river Avon from my trips along it in both directions earlier in the year:

If you buy the guide book, take its contents with a pinch of salt, it is not particularly accurate. I assume the content is simply out of date and they don’t bother to warn you of this.

The Avon in general is lovely to navigate, but I advise that you are very careful in the approach to and transit through Evesham Lock, it is awful. Upstream the lock landing is the walkway along the top of the weir (contrary to the guide book), and depending on the water level can seriously damage the cabin sides as the piles are set back some way from the edge of the actual walkway. Combined with the slight pull from the weir, I witnessed it do damage to more than one boat in quick succession. The lock itself is quite fierce, but take your time and all will be fine.

Moorings are quite sparse and there is only sufficient room for one or two boats at a number of the designated moorings. Pleasant places with plenty of mooring spaces are Pershore and above Offenham lock.

For such a large place, Tewkesbury has very few public moorings. It is common to have to double up on the moorings, so don’t be shy in asking if this is what you need to do.

Navigating the rivers is somewhat different to the canals, but I'm sure you will enjoy the contrast.

Thank you so much for these pointers! 

5 hours ago, adam1uk said:

There’s a useful guidebook you can get from the Avon Navigation Trust, showing you all the lock approaches, some of which can be a bit confusing.  The other confusing thing is that Avon locks have two names — one a location, and one the name of the sponsor who helped pay for restoration.  Locks on the Upper Avon have overnight moorings marked with blue poles.  If you like nice remote moorings, sometimes on a lock island that you can’t get off of, then some of these are fantastic.  The lower Avon has fewer mooring places, so a bit more planning is required.

Tewkesbury lock looks like a nightmare to get into, but the lock keeper will sort you out.  Make sure you go far enough out into the Severn before turning, otherwise you’ll get stuck on the sand bar.  In Worcester, you can moor on a pontoon on the river locks up onto the canal, or you can go up and moor above.

Depending on time and inclination, an alternative route would be to stay on the river and come off onto the Droitwich Canals.

As has been said above, make sure you leave yourself enough time to do the Tardebigge flight at the end of the trip.

Sure you’ll have a great time.  The Avon is a lovely river, and the ring gives you lots of different types of waterways.

I noticed the two name thing when I was using Canal Plan and then marking up on my map!!! It took a moment or so to work out and I didnt know why so thank you for explaining! 

5 hours ago, David Mack said:

Going clockwise from Alvechurch, you will have the Tardebigge flight of 30 locks at the end of your trip. They are a nice flight to work, but make sure you allow yourself enough time to complete the flight, especially as the evenings are now drawing in.

At Stratford, most boats just turn right and head downstream on the Avon. But the river is navigable for some distance upstream, so don't miss the opportunity to do that section. It is easy to boat up to the Red House where there is bags of room to turn at the bend. The intrepid can carry on a bit further upstream, up to Alveston Weir if there is enough water, but that section is not so straightforward for the inexperienced or those with deep drafted boats.

I know, this was one of the deciding factors to go clockwise. We felt it was better to have them all to do at the end and make sure we get there early rather than have to wait for the next day and do them first - if that makes sense! 

I was a bit worried about doing them to start off with, but super excited now! 

6 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Don't for one moment feel that beginners are unwelcome - anyone who takes that attitude is looking for extinction. Just look at most of the boats/crews out this year. We need beginners - all the time.

You have already cracked the most important element - recognising that you do not know everything! One of the hard bits is still remembering that after the first five days.

Too often those who deride beginners (we all had to start somewhere) are not actually much more skilled than those very beginners (some hirers are actually very experienced, just not in a position to keep a boat right now).

Remember the boater equivalent of the carpenter's adage : cut one, measure twice. Never let anyone including lockies, push you into doing something hastily. 'hastily' is not an absolute quantity but relative to the person and their experience and skill set (some people you will meet are  experienced but not skilled) . Take the time not only to check what the next step is but also what follows.

Thank you Mike. This is really reassuring. We had one very pushy lock keeper on the Thames, but other than that all that we came accross were lovely - I hope this is what we find on the ring! Are a lot of the locks manned along this route?

7 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Some light reading before the weight of the forum advice descends upon you.

Welcome to the forum

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/go-boating/a-guide-to-boating/boaters-handbook

Thank you x 

7 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Our own @robtheplod of this parish recently did the Avon Ring, might be some good info in his thread HERE

…and welcome to the forum ;) 

Thank you! I stumbled across this last week! It's a good read! Thank you for the welcome x

7 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

Hello. The Avon Ring was the first canal boating I ever did, back in 1989, and it’s a wonderful trip though I did it anti clockwise but I can’t remember why. You will love it I’m sure. 

I read loads and loads of arguments for both ways - but in the end decided on clockwise as we are leaving from Alvechurch and didnt want to go straight in to the Tardebigge flight, instead it will be the last thing we do on our penultimate day! 

6 hours ago, Ray T said:

Don't worry about being beginners, we all have to learn.

If anyone gets on to you about being a learner just say "Were you never a beginner?"

Up until recently I visited a retired narrowboat captain who came from six generations of Oxford boat people, when he retired and started leisure boating he had "experts" telling him he wasn't doing things properly.

Enjoy your boating.

Solid advice Ray! Thank you x 

3 hours ago, Midnight said:

We just did about 3/4 of the Avon Ring. It's  a splendid route with good stopping places. Overnight moorings are scarce on the Avon itself but we had no issues by arriving early. Places you may wish to consider are Lowsonford and Wilmcote on the South Stratford. Stratford (naturally) Bidford, rather than the Frog if you like a good pub walk back upstream to Barton there's a path from the bridge across the fields. The 'Cottage of Content' is a cracking and very friendly pub. Then there's the Bridge inn just before Evesham going downstream, The Anchor at Wyre Piddle has moorings too but Pershore offers a lot more options. Tewkesbury is great as is Upton. Worcester has lots to offer and if you get time drop down to Droitwich Spa. We carried on the Stourport but its only half a day back to Hanbury. You will enjoy it and it won't  be too challenging. 

Thank you for this! Great recommendations I will mark them on the map! We wanted to do the stourport on reccomendation from a lovely couple we met in a lock on the K&A but sadly with the Bevere lock closed it wont work out! 

Thank you again everyone! II will try and keep you updated along the way x