Oil top up

Antony Perry

Featured Posts

Look straight down on the top of the engine. There are two long semi rectangular boxes tight at the top. Both nearly as long  as the engine not including the gearbox.  The one on the starboard side has a filler cap on it that has two "ears" so you can twist it off more easily. This one is for the coolant. The other box with more rounded ends and slightly domed is the rocker cover. That has another filler on it. It maybe black plastic or a domed metal thing. That is where the oil goes in. You can find a BMC 1.5 manual online and it is all but the  same as a 1.8.

If this is no help, post a photo because it is not rare to find engines misidentified.

• Greenie 3

Hi many thanks for that could you please send me a copy over the tank on the right has a plastic dome over it and the other tank has a metal top on it with ear shapes either side guessing that is the coolant. Sorry for sounding stupid but still learning thanks Tony. 

26 minutes ago, Antony Perry said:

Hi many thanks for that could you please send me a copy over the tank on the right has a plastic dome over it and the other tank has a metal top on it with ear shapes either side guessing that is the coolant. Sorry for sounding stupid but still learning thanks Tony. 

A few photos of your engine will help in your query.

Bod

41 minutes ago, Antony Perry said:

You are right to check, because you certainly don't want to be putting oil or coolant in the wrong filler!

1 hour ago, Antony Perry said:

Yes, its the plastic one and if you looked through it, you will see oily  mechanical bits rather than a rusty deposit under the one with ears.

Anyway, I am not so clever because I said it was the starboard one which would be on the right looking forward had ears. I should have said it's on the port side (left, looking forward).

The image Matty posted looks as if it has a Polar exhaust manifold. The more common Bowman ones, nowadays, are fatter but still have those rubber caps on the ends.

re a bit fatter so look slightly different, but still have rubber caps on the ends.

Edited by Tony Brooks

53 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The green is water 

bmc.jpg

You cant just put a green circle nowadays, its colourist and against human rights, planetary norms and Galactica Hyperrules. You have to do the split colour that some eye seeing colour challenged people see instead of the actual colour......

Only joking but no doubt it will happen soon...

On 14/09/2021 at 23:01, Antony Perry said:

Hi I am new to boating have a diesal 1.8 bmc engine would like to check where I top up the oil thanks.

Since you're having to ask this very basic question, do you know where the dipstick is to check the amount of oil you're putting in?

A bloke I know couldn't see the oil level on his dipstick so just poured in a couple of litres and seriously over-filled it. When he started it up the engine couldn't deal with the excessive oil pressure in the crank case so started squeezing the oil into the cylinders and it just ran away burning the oil and wrecking his engine. 

Don't do that!

Edited by blackrose

Most diesel engines (in fact most engines) are happy with oil and filter changes, correct levels of oil and water, a quick look around from time to time and that's about it. They don't need much fiddling with. Less is more as they say.

19 hours ago, matty40s said:

Oil in the orange circled hole, the dipstick is the purple circled one.

15 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Since you're having to ask this very basic question, do you know where the dipstick is to check the amount of oil you're putting in?

Hope this helps..

19 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Yes, its the plastic one and if you looked through it, you will see oily  mechanical bits rather than a rusty deposit under the one with ears.

Anyway, I am not so clever because I said it was the starboard one which would be on the right looking forward had ears. I should have said it's on the port side (left, looking forward).

The image Matty posted looks as if it has a Polar exhaust manifold. The more common Bowman ones, nowadays, are fatter but still have those rubber caps on the ends.

re a bit fatter so look slightly different, but still have rubber caps on the 

Actually port or starboard relate to one or other side of the boat regardless of the point or direction from which viewed. 

How about a ''whistling dipstick''On the telly, Bangers & Cash an ancient car, a Standard I think it was that the dipstick whistled when the oil dropped to a certain level to warn the driver. A hollow dipstick with a whistle hole in it which crankcase pressure entered to blow the whistle. 

On 17/09/2021 at 18:32, matty40s said:

You cant just put a green circle nowadays, its colourist and against human rights, planetary norms and Galactica Hyperrules. You have to do the split colour that some eye seeing colour challenged people see instead of the actual colour......

I thought both yours were the same, so I hope the OP has worked out which is the filler and which the dipstick, 

On 18/09/2021 at 08:19, Bee said:

Most diesel engines (in fact most engines) are happy with oil and filter changes, correct levels of oil and water, a quick look around from time to time and that's about it. They don't need much fiddling with. Less is more as they say.

Yes indeed best left alone if all is working well, fiddling can have unintended consequences!  Especially if one is unsure in the first place.

Keep things clean and tidy around on and around the engine is good practice too as if things do go wrong and leak you will soon notice it.