Oh dear!

MrsM

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Athy said:

It's a fair question. My first response would be "How do you earn your money at the moment?"

I hope it's not as an English teacher.

That comment was made by several people, along with advice not to try to become a proof reader ?

I just couldn't believe that someone had not considered this before getting a boat. I kept my mouth firmly zipped ?

Edited by MrsM
Lack of proof reading! ?
  • Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, MrsM said:

That comment was made by several people, along with advise not to try to become a proof reader ?

Quite so.

More seriously, I suspect that quite a few boat dwellers do not do paid work.    Some, of course, will have pensions or private incomes to sustain them. But what do the others do? If they are continuously cruising, can they get the dole?

Edited by Athy

1 hour ago, Athy said:

It's a fair question. My first response would be "How do you earn your money at the moment?"

I hope it's not as an English teacher.

Is it spelling or grammar that is lacking? I for one will not be reading more, too annoying.

55 minutes ago, Athy said:

Quite so.

More seriously, I suspect that quite a few boat dwellers do not do paid work.    Some, of course, will have pensions or private incomes to sustain them. But what do the others do? If they are continuously cruising, can they get the dole?

When we moved aboard in 89 we started a brilliant little business called Pub relief. We advertised in the trade paper the morning advertiser and were booked whenever we wanted by private pub owners and big breweries alike. We went into a pub anywhere between 2 weeks and 3 months. We got good daily rate and of course zero living costs other than boat. We worked all over the place and had as much time off between jobs as the money would allow, often running into several months. Of course this did involve us working our arses off for a hell of a lot of hours each day we were doing the relief work so todays workers who think playing on a lap top is going to work would never consider it. You do have to have multiple skills but most can be learnt. It meant for our first five years living aboard we had a hell of a lot of cruising and NEVER had to stop in London!!! so a megga bonus.

• Greenie 3

26 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Well, the above comments have succeded in demolishing what was in essence a not unreasonable quesation.

I suggerst that the OP needs to develop some portable skill(s)...

Whell, spilling maye nort bee yor bestest subgekt, kepe triyng ?

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, it's an abbreviation for "typographical errors, so the apostrophe is correct.

Afraid I must disagree with you there.   Apostrophes are not generally used to indicate abbreviations, except minor contractions (thro',  we've)  but 'typo' is now a word in itself.  Two ex-teachers, neither of English, crossing swords!  ?

Just now, Mac of Cygnet said:

Afraid I must disagree with you there.   Apostrophes are not generally used to indicate abbreviations, except minor contractions (thro',  we've)  but 'typo' is now a word in itself.  Two ex-teachers, neither of English, crossing swords!  ?

Neither of English?

I worked winters to fund our cc'ing. I'd get a six month contract over winter and, living frugally, the money I earned would keep us for a year. No need to work my arse off and never went near London (mind you I did have to take my chances in Nottingham one winter ?)

8 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I'm convinced that there is something in the forum software that encourages them! ?

Early digital petrol pumps had an algorithm that could sense the stop-go action of someone trying to fill to exactly £10, and as soon as the operative hit the target would add an extra penny (the really early versions added an extra half penny)

We've a more advanced version of this on the forum ;) 

Edited because the algorithm worked... 

Edited by magpie patrick