Can I visit my boat to winterise it?

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

Has any marina said you can’t visit this time round, rather than just use the position of stick the government rules re travel.  

Castle marinas are pretty much banning all but permanent moorers for another month.

6 minutes ago, PhilR said:

Am I being too optimistic in anticipating that CaRT might give us another month extension on our licences? 

As boating is generally limited during the winter stoppage season, and given the Trust’s need to continue managing and maintaining the waterway, we do not propose to offer any further extensions to licence fees.  We’re carefully managing our finances and focussing on ensuring we can maintain all essential work until we get through this national crisis.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As boating is generally limited during the winter stoppage season, and given the Trust’s need to continue managing and maintaining the waterway, we do not propose to offer any further extensions to licence fees.  We’re carefully managing our finances and focussing on ensuring we can maintain all essential work until we get through this national crisis.

Given their recent track record , I am not filled with confidence for 2021.  

58 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Just driven back from the gliding club to Aberdeen, 85 miles of country roads. Notable how many English registered cars there were, many more than usual. I guess they have escaped the lockdown in Englandshire by coming to the Highlands!

Start of the Haggis Hunting season.

hunting.jpg

Edited by nbfiresprite

7 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

@haggis... RUN!!!

It's ok , i am keeping a good look out although there is not much haggis hunting in this area.  I look forward to Burns night when I will be safe again as that marks the end of the haggis hunting season

Haggis

Edited by haggis

1 hour ago, haggis said:

It's ok , i am keeping a good look out although there is not much haggis hunting in this area.  I look forward to Burns night when I will be safe again as that marks the end of the haggis hunting season

Haggis

To put you in the mood:

On 07/11/2020 at 21:17, ditchcrawler said:

Thats why I went and did it on Wednesday

Or in my case Monday. Had I needed to work on Monday I could have gone earlier. The writing was on the wall for days/weeks. Owning a boat is a responsibility as well as a pleasure.

Edited by Slim

22 hours ago, matty40s said:

Castle marinas are pretty much banning all but permanent moorers for another month.

Interesting. Last time I received several e mails from Castle on the subject. This time, nothing! I know they've got my e mail address because they sent me my Electricity bill a couple of weeks ago. Strange how bills always seem to get through ?

12 hours ago, Slim said:

Interesting. Last time I received several e mails from Castle on the subject. This time, nothing! I know they've got my e mail address because they sent me my Electricity bill a couple of weeks ago. Strange how bills always seem to get through ?

I got their email on 3 Nov. It advised moorers not to visit the Marina if they can avoid it. 

I haven't read the entire thread, but...

In 2017 I went to bed at about 01:00 on a November night to blue skies and a crisp chill. I woke up five hours later for work to find a couple of inches of snow on the ground. I went to work expecting to be back that night but actually ended up away from the boat for a few days. I came back to find water sloshing around the stern end of the cabin in my wardrobe; the domestic supply had frozen inside a Paloma, cracked the internal pipework and emptied the entire contents of my domestic water tank into the bath*. And then the bilge, via the floor. I'd be going to winterise the boat regardless of what advice I was or wasn't given, because it really isn't much fun trying to deal with a couple of hundred litres of water where water doesn't belong. The chances of you being caught and ending up in any sort of trouble are vanishingly small; in the unlikely event that you had a run-in with, I'm sure they would understand 'I am making an essential journey to stop my boat potentially sinking during lockdown' and use their discretion accordingly.

But you're almost certainly not going to end up in the position of having to explain yourself.

* - also a good lesson to reinforce habitually switching the water pump off whenever you leave...

Edited by tehmarks

52 minutes ago, tehmarks said:

* - also a good lesson to reinforce habitually switching the water pump off whenever you leave...

Absolutely and, while your doing that, you may as well open the taps, and if when taking water you consider that you want your fresh water tank to be no more than about half full when you next leave it, suddenly you're half way there every time you secure your boat.

I think it pays dividends in peace of mind terms to start thinking of winterisation as a three season thing! The first lockdown made me grateful I do that and the second has reinforced the view.  Every time I leave the boat for more than a few days, I now leave her ready to face an unexpectedly long period.

On 07/11/2020 at 13:58, IanD said:

in the end it will be down to whether any police officer thinks your excuse is reasonable or not.

... And that is largely down to how you react when questioned. A polite and helpful response with a plausible reason is far more likely to be accepted than a "Why aren't you out catching real criminals" rant.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, tehmarks said:

I do that even in the summer..........occasionally failing to do so  of course .

Your incident was unlucky.

10 minutes ago, Jerra said:

The A66 is very noticeably quiet.

Not in Middlesbrough it isnt.

(That is a simple statement of fact and not posted to cause an argument, discord, disharmony or anything else some on here might label 'causing an argument in an empty room).

5 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Not in Middlesbrough it isnt.

(That is a simple statement of fact and not posted to cause an argument, discord, disharmony or anything else some on here might label 'causing an argument in an empty room).

LOL!    Hardly surprising as the A66 is approx 100 miles long and Middleborough will have more population in a compact area than Lakeland.  

I would never accuse you of starting an argument in an empty room, you were merely making a comparison with different parts of the country.   Anybody can see that.

4 minutes ago, Jerra said:

LOL!    Hardly surprising as the A66 is approx 100 miles long and Middleborough will have more population in a compact area than Lakeland.  

I would never accuse you of starting an argument in an empty room, you were merely making a comparison with different parts of the country.   Anybody can see that.

Regardless.

Its one of my favourite routes to drive. Once it was duelled through the bottle necks of course.

Edit I'll breeze past your cardinal error of using 'borough' for my home town. It is of course 'brough' as in Middlesbrough.

Edited by The Happy Nomad