Handcuff key

Petalsnow

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, Tractor said:

The square drive, can anyone supply the dimensions. Sure I have one in my tool box to fit this, seem to be out of stock at CART.

I have  a handcuff key but no ruler - but - the 1/4" drive on my socket set is a perfect fit (square drive)

20200721-165750-1.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

8 hours ago, Tractor said:

The square drive, can anyone supply the dimensions. Sure I have one in my tool box to fit this, seem to be out of stock at CART.

Square socket end, 6.67mm across, so to fit a 1/4" square spindle.

Depth of socket end 6.3mm. Diameter of shaft 12.82mm. Depth to T handle from the end 73mm. Overall width of T handle 69mm.

This is off an "official" BW as was handcuff key, bought in around 2007.

The shaft diameter is important as too wide won't fit some uses, for example on the Erewash Canal. This key and its twin in my boating things box has fitted every handcuff lock I've come across so far. The depth to the T handle is also important to reach the spindle on some handcuff lock designs.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

1 hour ago, Old Son said:

So does anybody have a link to a handcuff key that would see me around the system? I don't need a Watermate key.

Keys not key.  Handcuff keys like to exist in couples.  Solo handcuff keys have a suicidal urge to leap into the water.

• Haha 1

https://shop.canalrivertrust.org.uk/shop

They appear to be in stock, just select the number you want.

Watermate/facilities keys likewise.

We have direct personal experience of knock-off keys not working.  The eBay watermate copies work on old and abused locks but not in brand new replacement ones. 

The black handcuff keys work in some but not all of the locks as the barrel of the key is too wide to physically fit into some locks.  We discovered this on a locked paddle with a hanging boat in the lock, and the extra seconds it took to realise and use a proper key convinced us to only carry the correct keys.

The black one went in the bin.

11 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

I was just wondering if the BW watermate key is perhaps the most common Yale type key in existence? I can’t think of another cut key held by so many people, I await correction ?

Probably as there's a lot of them in circulation and many people have more than one, vi have one on the boat keys, one on the house keys and just ordered two more for spares.

7 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

https://shop.canalrivertrust.org.uk/shop

They appear to be in stock, just select the number you want.

Watermate/facilities keys likewise.

We have direct personal experience of knock-off keys not working.  The eBay watermate copies work on old and abused locks but not in brand new replacement ones. 

The black handcuff keys work in some but not all of the locks as the barrel of the key is too wide to physically fit into some locks.  We discovered this on a locked paddle with a hanging boat in the lock, and the extra seconds it took to realise and use a proper key convinced us to only carry the correct keys.

The black one went in the bin.

Are you sure about that?

They were out of stock the other day and the site still says this for the watermate key.

**Please note that orders for Canal & River Trust keys will take longer to dispatch. We're currently waiting on new stock to arrive, which has been delayed due to Covid-19** 

Edited by The Happy Nomad

3 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Are you sure about that?

They were out os stock the other day and the site still says this for the watermate key.

**Please note that orders for Canal & River Trust keys will take longer to dispatch. We're currently waiting on new stock to arrive, which has been delayed due to Covid-19** 

Oops, I didn't read that bit!

Handcuff keys look orderable though which is what the OP wanted.

• 1 year later...

Hi all, 

Anyone have a handcuff key they'd sell me, delivery time is around a week online 😞

Just about to cruise our new purchase from Accrington to the Lancaster canal and I'm sure I'll need one around Blackburn. 

I'm based in Blackpool, will travel reasonable distance.. 

Thanks, Tom. 

On 22/07/2020 at 18:30, Bewildered said:

I was just wondering if the BW watermate key is perhaps the most common Yale type key in existence? I can’t think of another cut key held by so many people, I await correction ?

Maybe the AA key used to be the best one until they got rid of their boxes!

On 21/07/2020 at 21:30, system 4-50 said:

Keys not key.  Handcuff keys like to exist in couples.  Solo handcuff keys have a suicidal urge to leap into the water.

Happened to me at the first lock needing it entering Wigan on the Bridgewater. So I can confirm the above.

On 21/07/2020 at 09:39, Tractor said:

A 1/4" drive socket, welded on to a suitable length of hexagon bar (at the hex end) and mounted in a battery powered electric screwdriver is a very handy tool to have on flights like the Ashton, which has 72 handcuff locks on it, and not even the quarter turn spring loaded BCN variety!

Well I must confess to being a tad disappointed. 

I chanced upon this thread as Wilson was bringing in my morning tea, and the title immediately set my salacious pulse racing- no small feat on a Monday morning.

I wondered if one of our hoary old canal hounds was about to make a confession about some sort of BDSM fetish.

Perhaps one of the more racy members was thrown in a cell overnight, after a drink and drug fuelled orgy with a gaggle of supermodels? 

I read on, and was devastated to find that the whole thing was about some mundane item of canal hardware (which by the way, was never so much as mentioned in my 3 years at Canal College). 

My legal team believe there may be a case to answer for false advertising.  

Edited by Tony1

Just made two, one's ground and pushed in vice, the other is a slide fit which won't spin, the tapes just to hold it in place. 

We're sure the 1/4" fits? 

I found a chandler but it's 100 mile round trip.. 

IMG_20210809_105655.jpg

Tony1, I have a pair of authentic and used in anger quick cuffs and key if you're interested? 

Just to clarify though, I have a lady of my own 😳😅

17 minutes ago, Tom766 said:

Just made two, one's ground and pushed in vice, the other is a slide fit which won't spin, the tapes just to hold it in place. 

We're sure the 1/4" fits? 

I found a chandler but it's 100 mile round trip.. 

IMG_20210809_105655.jpg

Tony1, I have a pair of authentic and used in anger quick cuffs and key if you're interested? 

Just to clarify though, I have a lady of my own 😳😅

My dear fellow, I can't see any possible use for a pair of handcuffs in affairs of the heart. 

How is one meant to leap from the top of the wardrobe (the standard practice taught in the upper 6th at Thorpe Manor) whilst wearing a pair of handcuffs?

I did notice Wilson's ears pricked up through. 

He spends a lot of time perusing a website called Pawnhub- something to do with selling used goods, I understand - but it's all very hush hush. 

8 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

My dear fellow, I can't see any possible use for a pair of handcuffs in affairs of the heart. 

How is one meant to leap from the top of the wardrobe (the standard practice taught in the upper 6th at Thorpe Manor) whilst wearing a pair of handcuffs?

He spends a lot of time perusing a website called Pawnhub- something to do with selling used goods, I understand - but it's all very hush hush. 

To add explanation for those readers who think that they have signed in to a sleazy sex site by mistake, the term "handcuff " started when the auxiliary locks that looked like half  a pair handcuffs were fitted to paddles on the Leeds Liverpool and other canals to counteract vandals draining the canals. They are operated by screwing a retained bolt into the opposite half of the cuff.  The bolt has a 1/4" square head down a tube so that a special key is needed.

Later the same key was used in a welded on lock mechanism where the twist retracts a sliding bolt that obstructs the paddle operation.

27 minutes ago, Tom766 said:

That's the one. We'll I've ground off as much as I dare from the outside of the sockets. Hopefully my new keys will fit down the tube.. 

Was it worth the trouble when you can buy one for a few bob, you need a second for when you drop the first

56 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

To add explanation for those readers who think that they have signed in to a sleazy sex site by mistake, the term "handcuff " started when the auxiliary locks that looked like half  a pair handcuffs were fitted to paddles on the Leeds Liverpool and other canals to counteract vandals draining the canals. They are operated by screwing a retained bolt into the opposite half of the cuff.  The bolt has a 1/4" square head down a tube so that a special key is needed.

Later the same key was used in a welded on lock mechanism where the twist retracts a sliding bolt that obstructs the paddle operation.

Just to add to this, the "handcuff" key is just that, a key for handcuffs, the operating end happens to be the same as these BW devices.  When I first joined the police, some years ago, the issue handcuffs used such a key.

1 hour ago, Tony1 said:

You completely miss the point.  The handcuffs are to ensure that, having launched off the wardrobe, the intended target is still in place when you land!