Worst boat names

blackrose

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, DRP said:

It's hard not to get exasperated by all the combinations of ". . . Dreams" there seem to be.

Funnily enough, you never seem to see the wet variety.

Although the title is worst boat names, can't resist one of the best which used to be a tiny fibreglass cruiser on the Macclesfield; "Shy Tot".

I have seen "Shy Tot"on our travels. Also seen a non canal boat called "Shy Talk."

55 minutes ago, DRP said:

It's hard not to get exasperated by all the combinations of ". . . Dreams" there seem to be.

Funnily enough, you never seem to see the wet variety.

Although the title is worst boat names, can't resist one of the best which used to be a tiny fibreglass cruiser on the Macclesfield; "Shy Tot".

I have seen a 'wet' one - although, on closer inspection, there were very small letters interspersed to actually make it 'sweet'...

51 minutes ago, catweasel said:

I have seen "Shy Tot"on our travels. Also seen a non canal boat called "Shy Talk."

There was a Narrowboat called Shy Talk  

Shy Talk Built by Cole Craft Eng. Ltd - Length : 18.18 metres ( 59 feet 8 inches ) - Beam : 2.07 metres ( 6 feet 9 inches ) - Draft : 0.53 metres ( 1 foot 9 inches ). Metal hull N/A power of 37 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 46558 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Sunday 11th April 2010 )

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

There was indeed.  She was one of the Navy's narrowboats, running from Yardley Gobion and later from Calcutt iirc.  We hired her a couple of times in the late 80s or early 90s. For those unaware, Shite Hawk is another name for a Seagull.

17 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

)

There is also:

Chy Tyak Built by S.Goldsbrough Boats - Length : 17.68 metres ( 58 feet ) - Beam : 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft : 0.61 metres ( 2 feet ). Metal hull N/A power of 43 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 504283 as a Powered Motor Boat.

The owner claimed it had nothing to do with shite hawks.

21 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

There was indeed.  She was one of the Navy's narrowboats, running from Yardley Gobion and later from Calcutt iirc.  We hired her a couple of times in the late 80s or early 90s. For those unaware, Shite Hawk is another name for a Seagull.

Met her many years ago, probably 18 -20 I wonder if she is still about

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Met her many years ago, probably 18 -20 I wonder if she is still about

That one's gone, I believe. Others still run from. Calcutt: Emma, Andrew and Trafalgar I think are current,  although time marches on. I saw Trafalgar heading towards the Hatton flight in a homeward bound direction a couple of weeks ago. On that evidence Sailors, unlike policemen and Blue Peter presenters, are definitely not looking younger every day! The crew looked a right bunch of knackered old farts... ;)

18 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

That one's gone, I believe. Others still run from. Calcutt: Emma, Andrew and Trafalgar I think are current,  although time marches on. I saw Trafalgar heading towards the Hatton flight in a homeward bound direction a couple of weeks ago. On that evidence Sailors, unlike policemen and Blue Peter presenters, are definitely not looking younger every day! The crew looked a right bunch of knackered old farts... ;)

I think most of them do. Can't remember which one we saw last week

Passed a narrowboat on the southern end of the GU last year called "The Slowness of Cows".   This rather amused me, so I wouldn't actually nominate it as a worst name.

Edited by malp

13 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh my sides...

There used to be a boat on the Eastern K&A called Miss Behavin. We talked to the owner who told us he had just been released from a significant prison sentence, though I think the boat name was only an interesting co-incidence.

.............Dave

I knew, knew it would be Isis as i opened this thread, we saw her up the cut a few weeks ago and then again in our home marina (gayton marina) when we mored up for the first time. 

I have no idea why you would call a boat such a thing, we did again see her today.