Whaley Bridge Evacuated

furnessvale

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, Murflynn said:

let's be honest here - even if the whole of the British Army had been 'monitoring' the dam during the recent freak (??) weather, any 'decisions' about what to do would have had no impact on the water being 'allowed' to overtop the dam.  It was, simply, inevitable.  Much of civil engineering is about dealing with the inevitable and minimising the consequential damage, be it related to dams, sea defences, sewers, river banks, earthquakes, landslips, or whatever.

I'm not disagreeing with you, merely asking some questions.

It will be interesting to hear when the first call of possible danger/disaster was made...... and by who to who....

8 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I'm not disagreeing with you, merely asking some questions.

It will be interesting to hear when the first call of possible danger/disaster was made...... and by who to who....

According to the BBC it was the vicar. SOS on the church bells etc.

17 minutes ago, PaulD said:

According to the BBC it was the vicar. SOS on the church bells etc.

Ha,,ha,,  no church bells in Whaley bridge ,, the nearest are at taxal  church , and it dosn,t have a resident vicar ,,   it was actually reported by  John golpin the steward and landlord at Whaley bridge bowling club 

I was born  in Whaley bridge 1/2 mile from toddbrook  and spent the first 50 years of my life there ,,

3 hours ago, Spanners said:

Ha,,ha,,  no church bells in Whaley bridge ,, the nearest are at taxal  church , and it dosn,t have a resident vicar ,, 

I guess you’ll have to tell Father Jamie MacLeod that he doesn’t exist then, and that he doesn’t have any church bells. 

From the Mail:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7317403/Weeping-return-Whaley-Bridge-Families-tears-briefly-allowed-home.html

“Father Jamie MacLeod, who rang Whaley Bridge Church bell to raise the alarm during the evacuation on Thursday, had taken tea and coffee to emergency workers at the dam.

He said: 'Everybody's frightened and shocked.

'We had an ecumenical vigil last night and it was calm and peaceful. We had prayers and people lit candles and gave each other support.'

Reverend Timothy Keith Sandow, from Whaley Bridge Uniting Church, said: 'We are hopeful now.

'The RAF and the emergency services have been superb and we are very grateful.'”

And from the BBC:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-49275929

Father Jamie Mcleod was the first person to raise the alarm

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I guess you’ll have to tell Father Jamie MacLeod that he doesn’t exist then, and that he doesn’t have any church bells. 

From the Mail:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7317403/Weeping-return-Whaley-Bridge-Families-tears-briefly-allowed-home.html

“Father Jamie MacLeod, who rang Whaley Bridge Church bell to raise the alarm during the evacuation on Thursday, had taken tea and coffee to emergency workers at the dam.

'We had an ecumenical vigil last night and it was calm and peaceful. We had prayers and people lit candles and gave each other support.'

Reverend Timothy Keith Sandow, from Whaley Bridge Uniting Church, said: 'We are hopeful now.

'The RAF and the emergency services have been superb and we are very grateful.'”

And from the BBC:

Father ,,,Jamie,, lives at Whaley hall its a retreat and just has a small chapel within the hall , the uniting church ,,formally the Methodist church ,  hadn,t got any bells it hadn,t even got an organ it was taken out and sold to America along which most of the church pew,s 

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

From the Mail:

And from the BBC:

From Wikipedia so it might be true (probably at least as likely as anything the Daily Fail says). The vicar in question was apparently on Antiques Roadshow a while back with a major bargain/discovery.

The Church of England parish of Whaley Bridge has two churches. St James, Taxal stands on a site a mile from the town centre and was established in the 12th century. Parts of the tower may date back to that time, although much of the church was rebuilt in the 17th and 19th centuries.[24][failed verification] Holy Trinity, Fernilee was established near the town centre in 1905.[24] Parts of the town are included in the Cheshire parish of St John, Disley, and are served by the Church of St John the Divine, Furness Vale.[25]

The Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart, Whaley Lane, serves the parish of Whaley Bridge and Disley.[26]

The United Reformed Church and Methodists formed a local ecumenical partnership, the "Whaley Bridge Uniting Partnership" in 1983, subsequently joined by the Baptists. The partnership has three places of worship: Whaley Bridge Uniting Church, Fernilee Methodist Church and Kettleshulme Chapel.[27]

The Good News Church is an evangelical church based in the Gospel Hall, Old Road.[28][29]

Whaley Hall is a large detached Victorian house near Toddbrook Reservoir. Since 1979 it has been a retreat house and conference centre run by the Community of the King of Love, an ecumenical community of men and women.[30] The painting Magistrate of Brussels, by Anthony van Dyck, hung there, unrecognised, during the first decade of the 21st century.[31]

Just walked under the dam wall on a sunday walk . All i can say is it looks like it was an enormous job, it is still heaving with workers, and judging by the erosion and run off debris. They came close.

i imagine dam inspectors are on overtime everywhere else.

Edited by roland elsdon
Spell

6 hours ago, Spanners said:

Ha,,ha,,  no church bells in Whaley bridge ,, the nearest are at taxal  church , and it dosn,t have a resident vicar ,,   it was actually reported by  John golpin the steward and landlord at Whaley bridge bowling club 

I was born  in Whaley bridge 1/2 mile from toddbrook  and spent the first 50 years of my life there ,,

According to some posters on here you were lucky to survive! ?

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

According to some posters on here you were lucky to survive! ?

Cuthound I,m up in Yorkshire  these days , but if I had been back home I would have been perfectly safe  I was born and lived at the top of the hill above the dam on the right ,,

• Greenie 1

• 4 years later...

Work has gone on to restore the dam since the "emergency" of 2019. And it still goes on in what must be a very complex reconstruction project,

When will it be finished?

5 hours ago, Heartland said:

Work has gone on to restore the dam since the "emergency" of 2019. And it still goes on in what must be a very complex reconstruction project,

When will it be finished?

CRT's water management team reckon not until 2026 will the Cheshire Ring be doable by hire boats without any impact because of reservoir levels.

You can follow CRT updates here ...Restoring Toddbrook Reservoir | Canal & River Trust (canalrivertrust.org.uk)

Their latest update from 29th January 2024 is :

We are anticipating much of the new spillway construction work will be completed by the end of 2024 and the reservoir restoration work finished by summer 2025. This will be followed by demobilisation of the construction site, building the new sailing club and extensive landscaping to return Toddbrook Reservoir and Memorial Park back to public use. We are now expecting a project end date around autumn 2025.

Edited by JoeC

I do like demobilisation. I wonder if they mobilised the construction site in the first place, though I suppose that would the second place, as they'd have mobilised it from the first place, in the first place, to Tod, which would then be the second place.

I wonder though how you can demobilise a site, unless you just take the wheels off.

Not that it matters. Happy St Pat's Day everyone, I'm off to play me fiddle.

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I do like demobilisation. I wonder if they mobilised the construction site in the first place, though I suppose that would the second place, as they'd have mobilised it from the first place, in the first place, to Tod, which would then be the second place.

I wonder though how you can demobilise a site, unless you just take the wheels off.

Maybe they just give it a demob suit?

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I suspect that someone has heard the project manager talking about mobilisation without understanding what it means.

It is the contractors and sub-contractors that are mobilised, i.e. they turn up on site to do some work and de-mobilised when they finally leave site at the end of the job.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

It is the contractors and sub-contractors that are mobilised, i.e. they turn up on site to do some work and de-mobilised when they finally leave site at the end of the job.

And the mobilisation and demobilisation stages of a construction project include the setting up and subsequent removal of the contractors compound(s) (I.e. site offices, plant storage and maintenance facilities, materials storage areas etc) as well things like temporary access roads needed to facilitate the main construction works.

Edited by David Mack

48 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And the mobilisation and demobilisation stages of a construction project include the setting up and subsequent removal of the contractors compound(s) (I.e. site offices, plant storage and maintenance facilities, materials storage areas etc) as well things like temporary access roads needed to facilitate the main construction works.

We just knew the set up phase as "site establishment" 

And the phase at the end as "site disestablishment"

We had both cost and time allowances for both.

But then again out here in the colonies we don't use the Proper English.

That reminds me of a guy I used to work with who, when reminiscing about his days doing National Service,  mentioned the sergeant who ordered his squad to dismantle some tables, take them to another hut, and mantle them back together again.

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1