Whaley Bridge Evacuated

furnessvale

Featured Posts

The scenes yesterday were scary. This could seriously affect the Peak Forest, along with Whaley Bridge....the reservoir was built to feed the canal, not as a water supply.

The EA are evacuating the town as a serious threat to life exists.

DSCF0733.JPG.93ab86ca213da065096f2c065f0

The flood warning map shows the worst missing the canal at Whaley Bridge...but I would be concerned about the torrent damaging the aqueducts over the Goyt...

Hopefully CRTs maintenance of the dam wall was up to scratch...

2 minutes ago, Detling said:

They can always blame BW as was

Not really - Todbrook will be covered by the Reservoirs Act and subject to regular inspections (annual) and a regime to suit the risk of collapse and the zone of catastrophe. First question is did these inspections note anything that was then not attended to? 

20 minutes ago, rupertbear said:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/reservoir-sealed-police-people-told-16681771

I'm not good at reading contours but it looks like it could go straight down the canal?

I think you are correct.  The flood map is probably the forecast for a flooding river and excessive rain, not a reservoir emptying into the town. Hope they get the level down to a safe point. I guess they will then close the canal as the reservoir is too low to support boating......

10 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

More vandalism beyond C&RT's control will be declared I propose.?

What maintenance? It all been farmed off to folk who have difficulty knowing their a*** from their elbow.?

Put Julie Sharman in the stocks!?

"Yawn"

Repeat - it's a reservoir subject to the Reservoirs Act - annual inspection by a panel engineer, risk assessment in case of overflow, statutory maintenance regime, emergency plan if it does fail etc. These are not optional extras. 

5 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

"Yawn"

Repeat - it's a reservoir subject to the Reservoirs Act - annual inspection by a panel engineer, risk assessment in case of overflow, statutory maintenance regime, emergency plan if it does fail etc. These are not optional extras. 

Sorry if you are bored, perhaps you should resign your moderator post if you find it so boring? Have you had a humour extraction? 

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

"Yawn"

Ah yes, just like Carrillion was subject to all sorts of regulations, inspections, audits by all sorts of experts  These too were not optional.. Trouble is, every single person involved in any of the part of such a regime is only interesting on one thing, which is keeping their job until they can find another one by telling their immediate boss exactly what they want to hear...

• Greenie 4

10 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Sorry if you are bored, perhaps you should resign your moderator post if you find it so boring? Have you had a humour extraction? 

Or, you could always read and accept what people 'in the know' have stated.

It maybe OK in your world to 'guess', but in the real world it just makes you look silly.

• Greenie 2

18 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Ah yes, just like Carrillion was subject to all sorts of regulations, inspections, audits by all sorts of experts  These too were not optional.. Trouble is, every single person involved in any of the part of such a regime is only interesting on one thing, which is keeping their job until they can find another one by telling their immediate boss exactly what they want to hear...

Except in this case, I think a "panel engineer" is one allocated, from a panel of suitably qualified engineers. The owner  of the dam has no choice which engineer they get, and the engineer works for the panel and not the dam owner, so can't be sacked by them.

MP.

1 minute ago, MoominPapa said:

Except in this case, I think a "panel engineer" is one allocated, from a panel of suitably qualified engineers. The owner  of the dam has no choice which engineer they get, and the engineer works for the panel and not the dam owner, so can't be sacked by them.

MP.

I reckon some " experts " probably erected some scaffolding in Reading!!

16 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

What maintenance? It all been farmed off to folk who have difficulty knowing their a*** from their elbow.?

Are you an expert in these matters?
Somehow I doubt it.

Edited by Athy
Part removed following a report.
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Whaley Bridge evacuated as dam starts to crumble after heavy rain

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/01/whaley-bridge-evacuated-as-toddbrook-reservoir-suffers-partial-collapse-10501212/?ito=cbshare

Picture taken with permission from the Twitter feed of @fraglast of damage caused to the Dam Wall at Toddbrook Reservoir in Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire following heavy rainfall in the area. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Thursday August 1, 2019. See PA story WEATHER Rain. Photo credit should read: @fraglast/PA Wire NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder. / re: A reservoir in Derbyshire has been cordoned off by emergency services following fears it could collapse. Police are telling people to stay away from Toddbrook Reservoir in High Peak, which appears to have suffered substantial damage. Photos show the dam wall with what looks to be a huge hole at the side. A number of roads are in place, and Whaley Bridge Memorial Park is also closed.

From the latest pictures on the BBC'S page it looks as though the condition of the wall has deteriorated further since that picture was taken. 

BBC News - Whaley Bridge dam collapse: Town evacuated over Toddbrook Reservoir fears
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-49189955

I suspect it will all come down to austerity. Warnings and concerns flagged and then over ridden.

however and i know its no longer ok or pc as someones always to blame now , but there used to be acts of god-  stuff you couldnt control.

one of my friends bought a house in the town last year , hes not happy- cant get home

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

Given that Julie Sharman is a chartered engineer for once CRT have someone in charge who actually understands the engineering challenges...I don’t think

its fair to single her out at all. She is actually very hands on. 

• Greenie 2