Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

I had a couple of these made by Denis of Wolverhampton, who used to have a travelling blacksmith's forge on his boat.   They are therefore known as Denises.

Denis was in the smithy at the Backcountry Museum last time I visited. I don't know if he's still there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And here they are, made for me by Jason at Bollington Wharf on the Macclesfield Canal. Many thanks to all the help and suggestions on here.  They're going to make (I hope) a real difference to my aching back - hope to try them out next week.

hooks.jpg

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will you put your rope through the top eye or round the new extension like it was a hammered in pin?  Can you bend down enough to use the eye? I hope they do the trick for you.

Or you could put the rope through they eye first. ?

Edited by philjw
addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, philjw said:

Will you put your rope through the top eye or round the new extension like it was a hammered in pin?  Can you bend down enough to use the eye? I hope they do the trick for you.

Or you could put the rope through they eye first. ?

Plan is to put the rope through the eye first. The back isn't permanently bad, but slipped discs have a habit of returning at awkward moments. Now I need a solution to getting up and off a lock ladder when my right knee decides to go on strike. Last time, much to the the amusement of onlookers, I heaved myself up with my arms and pancaked myself onto the lockside with a sort of combination low level fosbury flop and forward roll. 

Alternatively, I could trade my wife in for one who isn't too busy to come boating with me... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/03/2019 at 21:35, Arthur Marshall said:

I've got a short trip planned for next week, but I'm just recovering from serious back trouble, and crouching down is a problem and getting back is worse. Last time this happened on the boat I had to get a passing cyclist to pick the rope and piling hook up for me. 

I usually use nappy pins on the piling, but I've seen boats moored with just a straight pin dropped through the piling, the rope through the ring. How safe is this? It would be a lot easier to lift it out than scrabbling around extricating the nappy pin. 

Don't have serious back trouble,thankfully,but after a few locks it starts aching horribly.

I have dungarees with knee pad pockets,and to save bending my back when mooring,I drop down onto one haunch and then my knees,do the business with the line,back to one haunch,and get up with the aid of my hands.

I don't reckon 'owt to this getting old business!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Plan is to put the rope through the eye first. The back isn't permanently bad, but slipped discs have a habit of returning at awkward moments. Now I need a solution to getting up and off a lock ladder when my right knee decides to go on strike. Last time, much to the the amusement of onlookers, I heaved myself up with my arms and pancaked myself onto the lockside with a sort of combination low level fosbury flop and forward roll. 

Alternatively, I could trade my wife in for one who isn't too busy to come boating with me... 

Before I moved on to chains I used piling hooks a lot, I spliced an additional rope to each eye - 1 forward and 1 aft - which made mooring even quicker. With the T handles as well you would be the fastest moorer in the West!

 

Howard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Alternatively, I could trade my wife in for one who isn't too busy to come boating with me.

That's about the best idea I've seen on CWF for a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/03/2019 at 11:51, matty40s said:

Ah...you've not seen my mooring stakes then have you...

20190311_114831.jpg

I bought 6 of those from the eBay seller about 10 years ago. Ex US army tent pegs. The best mooring pins I have yet to find. I left two behind once accidentally which was annoying. They were £7.20 noe £8.50. Still good value.

 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F111110765283

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for the piling one option is to use lengths of channel section RSJ the right size for the gap. If you do not wish to bend over then get a 5ft long piece and fit a shackle in the middle. Drop it into one of the gap between Armco and piling. the shackle will stop it from dropping all the way.cable tie some yellow scaff foam on the sticking up bit for visibility. 

 

Drop in lift out. Job done. I think it is something like 4" x1.5" but would need measuring. Always place beside one of the piling bolts as its more secure there and won't pull out. 

 

Box section would probably work as well.

 

Another option might be two pieces of 1/5" thick wall ally tube bolted together side by side that would probably work if the bolts didn't get jammed in the piling.

Edited by magnetman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I bought 6 of those from the eBay seller about 10 years ago. Ex US army tent pegs. The best mooring pins I have yet to find. I left two behind once accidentally which was annoying. They were £7.20 noe £8.50. Still good value.

 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F111110765283

I like then as they slide behind piling and don't move an inch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

...Alternatively, I could trade my wife in for one who isn't too busy to come boating with me... 

if they are available on bogof terms I'll take the other one...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

if they are available on bogof terms I'll take the other one...

Well, I'm on my fourth so you've got a bit of choice... 

  • Horror 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Well, I'm on my fourth so you've got a bit of choice... 

Fourth!!!

Reading your posts I thought you a very sensible chap.   But now.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/03/2019 at 17:28, Arthur Marshall said:

Well, I'm on my fourth so you've got a bit of choice... 

All wealthy and died young? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/03/2019 at 18:31, koukouvagia said:

I had a couple of these made by Denis of Wolverhampton, who used to have a travelling blacksmith's forge on his boat.   They are therefore known as Denises.

I gave them away to the new owner of our josher because they were stamped with the fleet number. So I don't have a picture of them.

They are made from 3/8" x 3" x 2' 6" steel.  One end is curled over and encloses a sturdy mooring ring.  They are brilliant because they just drop down through the armco and are heavy enough to stay in place.

The only problem was that they look so much like fixed mooring rings that boats often used to tie up to them, which was a problem if we wanted to leave early next day.

That is what I was referring to when I mentioned the Birmingham ones, I saw them quite a bit on the BCN

On 16/03/2019 at 16:06, magnetman said:

I bought 6 of those from the eBay seller about 10 years ago. Ex US army tent pegs. The best mooring pins I have yet to find. I left two behind once accidentally which was annoying. They were £7.20 noe £8.50. Still good value.

 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F111110765283

Why did he have to be up in Yorkshire?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 14:53, Arthur Marshall said:

And here they are, made for me by Jason at Bollington Wharf on the Macclesfield Canal. Many thanks to all the help and suggestions on here.  They're going to make (I hope) a real difference to my aching back - hope to try them out next week.

hooks.jpg

More or less what I made but the welding is MUCH better. I've got tee handles on mine and I've painted them white so people don't walk into them. Don't know how much they cost but they'll prove to be one of your better investments.

 

Frank.

 

When you come up with an answer for dodgy knees and lock ladders let me know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

All wealthy and died young? 

When I was young I was looking for an aged wealthy millionairess who owned a pub but sadly never found one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Slim said:

More or less what I made but the welding is MUCH better. I've got tee handles on mine and I've painted them white so people don't walk into them. Don't know how much they cost but they'll prove to be one of your better investments.

 

Frank.

 

When you come up with an answer for dodgy knees and lock ladders let me know

About eighteen quid for two pins and seventeen for the welding (they charge in half hour chunks). Didn't charge for the steel as he used offcuts. You can't say fairer than that. I'll paint the tops white too. 

3 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

All wealthy and died young? 

Mostly broke and buggered off, sometimes with the contents of my bank balance. Fun, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Slim said:

When you come up with an answer for dodgy knees and lock ladders let me know

 

23 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

About eighteen quid for two pins and seventeen for the welding

Wow! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Powerful electromagnets bolted to the hull will stick to piling like sh*t to a blanket.

 

Just cut the power when you want to move off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, carlt said:

Powerful electromagnets bolted to the hull will stick to piling like sh*t to a blanket.

 

Just cut the power when you want to move off.

Stick an eco fan on the roof and use it as a generator to power them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, carlt said:

Powerful electromagnets bolted to the hull will stick to piling like sh*t to a blanket.

 

Just cut the power when you want to move off.

Wouldn't you end up with every passing boat getting glued to the other side? 

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Wouldn't you end up with every passing boat getting glued to the other side? 

No, they’ll be repelled to the far side of the cut and have to cope with the reeds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, carlt said:

Powerful electromagnets bolted to the hull will stick to piling like sh*t to a blanket.

 

Just cut the power when you want to move off.

What about the level rising or falling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.