First volockie irritation of the year.

nicknorman

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Yes just sent a somewhat displeased chasing email. But really, one shouldn’t have to. Just gives the impression that this supervisor of volunteers regards actual boaters with contempt.

From my memories of offices and complaints, it takes a couple of days for the complaint to be read, then it gets thought about a bit, then it gets shoved upstairs for a week. Then, if the complainant is known, it gets bunged up another level, where it stays for a week. Then someone writes a reply, which goes upstairs to be checked. That takes a week. Then it gets OKd and sent back to the originator to send, who forgets about it for a week. If anyone got a reply within three months from my old office , I'd be surprised. No I wouldn't, I'd be amazed. 

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

I agree, perhaps after a couple of escalations it might be interesting to see what Richard Parry thinks off his underlings customer focus?

As good a way of wasting your time as any.  I should just go to the pub and forget about it.  CaRT is a 'charity' - so it can do no wrong.

1 minute ago, Mike Tee said:

In any further complaints it might be easier to just copy Richard Parry from day one.

Certainly what I would do. Apart from anything else, it puts a bit of heat under the fundament of the local manager from the get go, knowing that Head Office is aware of the complaint.

On 06/03/2019 at 15:49, billS said:

I think there is a valid point here. Complaining on here is neither here nor there, but I don't think you have a right to complain to CRT if you didn't actually say anything to the chap at the time. If you had, he may have just shrugged and agreed with you.

Of course you have a right to complain if you didn't actually say something at the time. Different people have various reasons for not wanting to say anything at the time. They may not be comfortable with confrontation and be unsure of the other person's reaction, or they may even be unsure of their own reaction and not want to get into an argument. It seems to me that in wanting to restrict valid complaints only to those which had preliminary face to face interactions you have an odd idea of "rights".

In the broader discussion of whether it's worth Nickorman complaining, I think polite feedback to CRT will help them with training so he's actually doing them a service rather than just ignoring it. Trivial or not I also think it's worth him posting his experience on here too as it helps us to know what to expect and what the role of a volockie actually is. If you read or engaged in this thread from whatever angle then you have benefited.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Of course you have a right to complain if you didn't actually say something at the time. Different people have various reasons for not wanting to say anything at the time. They may not be comfortable with confrontation and be unsure of the other person's reaction, or they may even be unsure of their own reaction and not want to get into an argument. It seems to me that in wanting to restrict valid complaints only to those which had preliminary face to face interactions you have an odd idea of "rights".

In the broader discussion of whether it's worth Nickorman complaining, I think polite feedback to CRT will help them with training so he's actually doing them a service rather than just ignoring it. Trivial or not I also think it's worth him posting his experience on here too as it helps us to know what to expect and what the role of a volockie actually is. If you read or engaged in this thread from whatever angle then you have benefited.

.. and to whip up the anti-volockie brigade.

25 minutes ago, rgreg said:

.. and to whip up the anti-volockie brigade.

Most boater seem to like having volockies on 'duty', which puzzles me somewhat. I don't see locks as obstacles to my cruising, a nuisance to be negotiated as quickly and painlessly as possible, the way most latter day boaters seem to view locks. hence them liking having vollies doing it for them..

I actually enjoy working the historic architecture. It is one of the reasons I buy my licences and go boating. For me, seeing a volly hanging about at a lock wanting to squirt me through rather spoils the experience.

This is not me being 'anti-volockie brigade' as you put it. Lots of vollies are very nice people but I'd rather they just weren't there.  It is my opinion and I don't think I'm alone in holding it.

I wonder if my comments above will whip up the pro volockie brigade, to borrow your parlance.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 2

22 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Most boater seem to like having volockies on 'duty', which puzzles me somewhat. I don't see locks as obstacles to my cruising, a nuisance to be negotiated as quickly and painlessly as possible, the way most latter day boaters seem to view locks. hence them liking having vollies doing it for them..

I actually enjoy working the historic architecture. It is one of the reasons I buy my licences and go boating. For me, seeing a volly hanging about at a lock wanting to squirt me through rather spoils the experience.

This is not me being 'anti-volockie brigade' as you put it. Lots of vollies are very nice people but I'd rather they just weren't there.  It is my opinion and I don't think I'm alone in holding it.

I wonder if my comments above will whip up the pro volockie brigade, to borrow your parlance.

You certainly aren't alone that is my feeling exactly.

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I know we've had this discussion before and, like you, I enjoy working locks myself and don't need or particularly want help. Having said that, I've had mostly courteous and pleasant experiences with the many volockies I have met on my travels,  and they are only present on a fraction of the locks worked overall.  

I Just accept that the volunteer role gives others the opportunity to get involved with the added benefit that many boaters appreciate their assistance with the caveat, of course, that this needs to be done to a satisfactory standard.

On balance, I just feel that people are more ready to criticise than praise.

Just saying like...........arrived at Beeston Lock yesterday afternoon. Two, perhaps three volockies, third in same coloured polo shirt. As we were coming off the river onto the canal use daily section the levels were very close. My expert and superb crew member was actively scratching her head. (Must get nit treatment). I tied up and walked over to the lock. Volockies looking on but in deep conversation with passers by. No intension to assist. Got through Lock okay. Stopped for water and gash ditching duties. Crew member went across to waste compound to be 'assaulted' by said mature lady wanting wifey (I dislike at term, must stop using it) to sign up to CRT Assist or whatever it's referred to. Showing graphs of the decline of funds available. Lots of pressure. (No need for that). Anyway my wife returned to boat flustered and annoyed at the same time, not wanting to be rude, as I think I may have been, didn't know what to say. It really gave the wrong impression to the missus (I hate that term, must stop using it) and I. Joe Public must believe this nonsense. They shouldn't. Remind me, how much is Mr Parry and his fellow directors on? 

I dont 'alf feel better for getter that off me chest.

Edited by Nightwatch
  • Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, Jerra said:

You certainly aren't alone that is my feeling exactly.

Room for all of us... As I get older and my back gets more knackered and my knee plays up, the sight of a vlockie waving me on cheers me immensely. I always wander up to the lock if in a queue and offer to help (and chat) - where's the difference? 

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Remind me, how much is Mr Parry and his fellow directors on? 

This is of course, the natural question to ask these chuggers, especially if you already know the answer (what IS he on anyway?) I usually just point out I currently support CRT to the tune of about £8k a year already. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Sodding spellcheck interfering
  • Greenie 1

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is of course, the naturalist question to ask these chuggers, especially if you already know the answer (what us he on anyway?) I usually just

point out I currently support CRT to the tune of about £8k a year already. 

When Mr Cameron was PM and Mr Parry became what he is, I think it was bounded around that he, Mr Parry, was on more than Mr Cameron. Don't quote me on this, but figures mentioned was summat like £230,000 per annum. Someone will put me out of my misery very shortly I'm sure.

If you can high salaries, then good for you, but should we have begging teams out and about, such as this. 'Lady' yesterday. 

7 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Room for all of us... As I get older and my back gets more knackered and my knee plays up, the sight of a vlockie waving me on cheers me immensely. I always wander up to the lock if in a queue and offer to help (and chat) - where's the difference? 

Ever so slightly off topic. May I ask which knee is playing up? My right knee, gives me issues. My theory is 'clutch pedal knee'.

24 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Crew member went across to waste compound to be 'assaulted' by said mature lady wanting wifey (I dislike at term, must stop using it) to sign up to CRT Assist or whatever it's referred to. Showing graphs of the decline of funds available. Lots of pressure.

I am sure that the CRT team continue to increase "Friends" exponentially year on year if you believe the annual statement......along with saving salaries by having 100k volunteer hours and rising and 31.9 trillion visits a week to the canals by Joe Public.

Selling off the marinas must have realised a nice chunk, shame there's no income from that any more.

....and with the latest announcements about online moorings being allowed again, expect the Waterside Moorings to be sold off soon as well.

Edited by matty40s

20 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

One difference is you offer to help many vlockies I have come across assume you want help and just start things on their own without asking.   If they invariably asked and stood back when I said I wanted to work the lock myself i would have no problem - sadly they don't.

20 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Ever so slightly off topic. May I ask which knee is playing up? My right knee, gives me issues. My theory is 'clutch pedal knee'.

Right knee... You could have a point, except wouldn't clutch pedal be left one? Brake  & throttle possibly - I've not driven a car with a clutch for years. It might be the result of an old biking injury, too. Or just old age, which seems to be approaching rapidly. 

47 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Just saying like...........arrived at Beeston Lock yesterday afternoon. Two, perhaps three volockies, third in same coloured polo shirt.

More evidence of CRT cutbacks. 

How did they operate the lock without ripping the polo shirt? ?

40 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Left knee for me, possibly because every time I came off my bike, if I had the time to decide, I would always come off left side down - don't ask, I have no idea!!

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Right knee... You could have a point, except wouldn't clutch pedal be left one? Brake  & throttle possibly - I've not driven a car with a clutch for years. It might be the result of an old biking injury, too. Or just old age, which seems to be approaching rapidly. 

Left knee Martyn, left knee. A numpty is what I am.