First volockie irritation of the year.

nicknorman

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, haggis said:

I think the same thing was said to me at Fradley but I am a bit deaf so  didn't hear her properly and carried on then asked what she had said when I was finished . She wasn't best pleased ? 

haggis

They are not there for you to please them. What they think ,‘report’ ( are they ex teachers?) see , is an irrelevance. They have no power or authority.

They are supposed to be happy helpers if needed thats all.

if they are happy and competent and safe they get a good interaction, if they are dangerous, miserable or intrusive they deserve to be requested to leave matters alone.

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, MartynG said:

I believe a boat (or ship) wears  a flag.

Never mind about that, what about the boaters who persist in using the term 'driving the boat'?!!

One steers a narrow boat, one doesn't drive it, as any fule kno!

5 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

Will these volockies, or whatever they are, report you for things like pushing gates open with the boat and other sins?

The most recent one I met suggested I did that (whilst he was closing gates at the previous lock). I also watched him step across the gates! Though I'm guessing by that point he'd worked out I had a good idea what I was doing - I did do my best job of only nudging the gates very gently.

Probably shouldn't mention where this was so I don't get him into trouble ;) 

28 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Never mind about that, what about the boaters who persist in using the term 'driving the boat'?!!

With a horse pulling a boat one can only steer?

With an engine one can drive (and steer)? 

Just an idea. 

37 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

They could always sail it instead! 

22 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I know what you are saying, but this particular vollie buys me beers as well!

Right, this worked well.

I bumped into said vollie in a pub this afternoon, and he bought me a beer!  If he is reading this, I quite like single malt Scotch Whisky too ....

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

With a horse pulling a boat one can only steer?

With an engine one can drive (and steer)? 

Just an idea. 

Look, in order to be a good narrow boater one needs to be dogmatic, awkward and and argumentative, ok? 

Now shape up and stop arguing. One STEERS a narrow boat. 

Errr.....

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Look, in order to be a good narrow boater one needs to be dogmatic, awkward and and argumentative, ok? 

Errr.....

or perhaps  ''pilot''   or ''helm''

The term ''drive'' a motor boat is certainly applied to cruisers.

Just now, MartynG said:

or perhaps  ''pilot''   or ''helm''

The term ''drive'' a motor boat is certainly applied to cruisers.

Yes and...????

The term 'steer' is correct for narrow boats, as I keep saying.

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Errr.....

I’m improving my continuous mooring skills so I have to neither steer or drive. 

To steer or drive is one dilemma too much. 

Just now, Goliath said:

I’m improving my continuous mooring skills so I have to neither steer or drive. 

To steer or drive is one dilemma too much. 

How many dilemmas would be about right then? Neither too many, nor too few? ?

• Happy 1

49 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Just wait for that equally idiotic term "helms" which seems to be growing in popularity!

Howard

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

They are not there for you to please them. What they think ,‘report’ ( are they ex teachers?) see , is an irrelevance. They have no power or authority.

They are supposed to be happy helpers if needed thats all.

if they are happy and competent and safe they get a good interaction, if they are dangerous, miserable or intrusive they deserve to be requested to leave matters alone.

Oyyyyy,what is wrong with ex teachers? I'm not a volockie but I am an absolutely lovely ex teacher,ex teachers aren't all bolshy g**s you know.?Other half is a volly in Brum & does help boaters with the locks if  they desire help.He doesn't force himself upon them...?

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

Oyyyyy,what is wrong with ex teachers? I'm not a volockie but I am an absolutely lovely ex teacher,ex teachers aren't all bolshy g**s you know.?Other half is a volly in Brum & does help boaters with the locks if  they desire help.He doesn't force himself upon them...?

But does he know what he is doing? ?

41 minutes ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

What did you teach?

We are considering home ed for our little one, and every retired teacher we know think it's a great idea to keep out of the currrent school system as far as possible!

If you have a specific skill that you enjoy teaching a bright kid, what is it, but be warned we might come looking for you for a fortnight or so!

45 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

What did you teach?

We are considering home ed for our little one, and every retired teacher we know think it's a great idea to keep out of the currrent school system as far as possible!

If you have a specific skill that you enjoy teaching a bright kid, what is it, but be warned we might come looking for you for a fortnight or so!

Primary school for 35 years.Spent the latter years sorting out year 6 kiddiwinks who needed a push to achieve decent levels for high school-my pupils did really well.Afternoons were spent teaching French,German & a spattering of Japanese.

2 minutes ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

Primary school for 35 years.Spent the latter years sorting out year 6 kiddiwinks who needed a push to achieve decent levels for high school-my pupils did really well.Afternoons were spent teaching French,German & a spattering of Japanese.

Konnichiwa!

Gesundheit!

(Je suis désolé, couldn't resist such a good feeder line...)

What are your thoughts on keeping a little one out of the modern school system?

10 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

What did you teach?

An(other) ex teacher writes.......

When asked this question I would answer 'children'.

Another one, when asked what I liked about teaching:

'August. July is good but August is better. September? Don't even think about it'