Weighing In Old Leisure Batteries

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I have always taken expired batteries to the council recycling tip - I know they will get properly dealt with.

Increasingly though I have noted that people reckon they have a "significant" scrap value, and I was surprised that a certain chandlery the other day was offering me prices of about £8 less per battery if I had an old one to part exchange. (Unfortunately it wasn't that great a deal even if I did!).

A quick "Google" has not made it obvious to me whether I might find anywhere close to hand, or what I might expect to get. I suspect it would only be worth doing if it were somewhere I was going to drive pretty close to anyway.

I have 3 * 110Ah batteries, of at least (I'm guessing) 22Kg each, so maybe about 66Kg altogether.

So is it ever going to be worth it, or do I just take them to the council tip. I'm guessing £20 maximum ??

I'm in Berkhamsted/Hemel Hempstead area of Herts.

Pop them on Python as she passes - Our crew will recycle them for you and the funds will go to Chesterfield Canal Trust.

They crew weighed in some batteries earlier this year, I have no details of how many or the size but I know the income was helpful

definitley worth taking to a recycling place that pays for scrap.

i tend to save up my batteries, plumbing fittings and offcuts of copper tube from the DIY jobs and when there is a reasonable amount take them to the local scrap yard. I'm lucky there are a couple within 10 minutes drive. even old central heating radiators are worth a couple of quid, basically if its metal don't throw it away.

Last time a I took a couple of old car batteries, a 85ah leisure batt and some small sealed lead acid alarm batteries and was very pleasantly surpised at the money I got for them. (and it was cash which I don't think they are allowed to do now unless you are a gyppo)

Before we retired we ran an auto electrical business. We let the scrap batteries build up then would take them to the local scrapyard. They would put us on the weighbridge before and after and pay us by the kilo or cwt. The prices always varied but it was always worthwhile. Obviously make sure they are all full of water beforehand!

I notice coming through Birmingham that there is a scrapyard just before Cuckoo Bridge advertising that they buy old batteries.

Regards

Pete

I had six batteries on here which I removed. They weighed 54 kilos each with huge lead plates. I was going to take them and weigh them in then thought about possible damage to car and lifting them so I gave them to local gypsies who were well chuffed and took em out my way in a jiffy biggrin.png

Tim

I got £36 for three dead 110Ah batteries from Uxbridge Boat Centre last month.

But was that on a part exchange for new ones, rather than they just bought old ones without supplying new?

The problem for me was that their price for a part exchange deal was more than another place for just buying new, and the brand of battery they were selling seemed impossible to research.

there's a good battery man in Croxley, Watford who will pay for a bit more than the scrap man for old batteries or apply discounts to his already generous prices for new ones when you arrive with your old ones. Google 'Denka Croxley'

they have a closed loop recycling system so they can offer a very attractive deal.

I got around £35 for 3x110ah batteries from the scrap dealer Taroni's in Birmingham last year. No part exchange just money in my pocket.

Taroni's is on Rocky Lane between locks 2 and 3 (I think) on the Aston flight.

Edited by Dave_P

I got around £35 for 3x110ah batteries from the scrap dealer Taroni's in Birmingham last year. No part exchange just money in my pocket.

Good grief, is Taroni's still trading?

Richard

Pop them on Python as she passes - Our crew will recycle them for you and the funds will go to Chesterfield Canal Trust.

They crew weighed in some batteries earlier this year, I have no details of how many or the size but I know the income was helpful

River Gipping Trust raises a lot of cash selling scrap

You will be lucky to get money today, a cheque if you produce a driving licence and a utility bill

River Gipping Trust raises a lot of cash selling scrap

You will be lucky to get money today, a cheque if you produce a driving licence and a utility bill

True. This was just before the rules changed.

Good grief, is Taroni's still trading?

Richard

Very much so Richard. Mr Taroni seems to own half of Aston these days.

......, basically if its metal don't throw it away.

The side hatch doors opn the boat I've recently bought was plastered with about 25 of those metal discs depicting different canals that the previous owner had been on. I removed them and wondered if I'd get a few bob in scrap metal value for them but haven't got round to doing anything about it yet.

I had six batteries on here which I removed. They weighed 54 kilos each with huge lead plates. I was going to take them and weigh them in then thought about possible damage to car and lifting them so I gave them to local gypsies who were well chuffed and took em out my way in a jiffy biggrin.png

Tim

And..they carefully disposed of the dangerous acid before removing the lead plates...?

The side hatch doors opn the boat I've recently bought was plastered with about 25 of those metal discs depicting different canals that the previous owner had been on. I removed them and wondered if I'd get a few bob in scrap metal value for them but haven't got round to doing anything about it yet.

Probably better sticking them on ebay.

Sell them on E-bay, You make more money.

I never ever throw away or give away any old metal. It all has value, especially non ferrous. To me it would be like tossing pound coins away whilst walking down the street.

I even strip the brass out of old 3 pin plugs and door locks. It is amazing how quickly it can add up to some sensible money. It usually makes for a very generous beer fund at the Great Dorset Steam Faircheers.gif