Changing a boat's name.

Mad Harold

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Halsey said:

FYI - anecdotally there is also a superstition that you should only change a name if the boat is out of the water otherwise it brings bad luck...…………….

I bought into this old twaddle and changed my second boat name out of the water, and put a sign up inside acknowledging the previous name just as per the folklaw. Bote didn't sink.

Recently I changed my latest bote name in the water just using the CRT website. Bote still afloat....

(I hope!) 

• Happy 1

53 minutes ago, Halsey said:

FYI - anecdotally there is also a superstition that you should only change a name if the boat is out of the water otherwise it brings bad luck...…………….

Nonsense!  It'll be perfectly all right as long as you make a paper replicate of the boat with the old name, and launch it in flames.

Only at the full moon, obviously.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Halsey said:

Don't you lot know that it is very unlucky to be superstitious?

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I bought into this old twaddle and changed my second boat name out of the water, and put a sign up inside acknowledging the previous name just as per the folklaw. Bote didn't sink.

Recently I changed my latest bote name in the water just using the CRT website. Bote still afloat....

(I hope!) 

CaRT's web site has a special dispensation, signed by his Holiness to make sure that the holiness isn't in the boat hull.

10 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Nonsense!  It'll be perfectly all right as long as you make a paper replicate of the boat with the old name, and launch it in flames.

Only at the full moon, obviously.

That should do the trick.

12 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

I would like to change my boat's name. Is there a website where I can check if the name I choose is not on another boat?

Any help gratefully received. 

It does not matter if there is another boat with the same name.

EA Thames will soon tell you and demand you change the proposed name or add a number. Broads and EA Fens seem to use numbers. CaRT use the number but also have a field for the name. When I get a gold license my official Thames boat name becomes JennyB72685 where as CaRT are happy with JennyB but if there is another one will then ask for the number.

1 minute ago, mark99 said:

Bylaw 4b if you are moored on the Wey, you you have to incorporate the word "Wey" into the name in some witty wey.

Ah yes.  When I get a boat on the Wey I’m gonna call it “On The Wey”. 

Then when someone calls me and asks where I am, I can say I’m on the Wey. A triple entendre which no-one else has ever thought of, obvs. 

My thanks for all the replies. Cuthound especially for the link.

Dreamcatcher,I stopped counting at 40.

Narrow escape 40+

My own boat [Popsie] I found one other with the same spelling and one with a different spelling.

It's quite likely that whatever name I come up with [ unless it's outrageous or offensive] will be on someone's boat.

So Popsie will remain Popsie while I own her.

• Happy 1

40 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah yes.  When I get a boat on the Wey I’m gonna call it “On The Wey”. 

Then when someone calls me and asks where I am, I can say I’m on the Wey. A triple entendre which no-one else has ever thought of, obvs. 

"Mike on the Wey"

or 

"Howards Wey"

I'm gonna call mine Milky Wey!

Edited by rusty69