Changing a boat's name.

Mad Harold

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I spit on your quavers and offer you a 36 year old clip of 19 year old MW above. Semi quavers, for sure, but at that speed more like demi semi... :P

Well yeah, but he is a trombonist - I can't even play the trumpet anywhere near that well (though I can probably manage demi-semis as long as the tempo is slow enough...)

• Happy 1

14 hours ago, WotEver said:

I spit on your quavers and offer you a 36 year old clip of 19 year old MW above. Semi quavers, for sure, but at that speed more like demi semi... :P

I didn’t get that reference either so that’s two of us missing the point. 

I am not a musician, so I ask if 'spit' is a metaphorical comment, or is it literally a playing technique needed to get the right notes ?

3 hours ago, Horace42 said:

I am not a musician, so I ask if 'spit' is a metaphorical comment, or is it literally a playing technique needed to get the right notes ?

‘Twas metaphorical sir. Spitting is not a technique as far as I’m aware although double tonguing and triple tonguing is for most (all?) brass instruments.

7 hours ago, WotEver said:

‘Twas metaphorical sir. Spitting is not a technique as far as I’m aware

It's not, though tonguing requires fairly similar technique, and it's something I think is suggested to beginners as being similar to help them get the idea of the muscle control.

Am pretty rubbish at double/triple tonguing, though that's a complete non issue when playing the trombone for me!

On 26/10/2018 at 19:25, aracer said:

I is confused - I play trombone* and can't hear any on that video - is there some point I'm missing?

*I'm a trumpet player, wouldn't call myself a trombonist (I just use it for a couple of songs my band plays), but can definitely play at least quavers ;)

No, there is no Trombone on Lady G's video.It was the speed that I was referring to.  It was in response to Arthur Marshall's  post about boat names.

He has  "come out " and admitted he plays the Trombone.

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

No, there is no Trombone on Lady G's video.It was the speed that I was referring to.  It was in response to Arthur Marshall's  post about boat names.

He has  "come out " and admitted he plays the Trombone.

Aha - a reference it wasn't possible to get just from reading this thread (though all is clear now I've searched!)

BTW I was curious and had a brief try - I reckon I could play that at tempo on the trombone, but it would take a bit of work to nail the sequences at slower speed first as I'd need to be doing it from muscle memory rather than having to think about each note (I could manage all the phrases after a few tries, just not put them together - that usually means I could play the whole thing with practice).