Braunston Historic Boat Rally 2018

Featured Posts

If that was a linen jacket, have you ever tried keeping one crease free?

Equally he may be one of those people who just naturally render freshly pressed clothing a mess, simply by putting them on. I used to work with a man who did this. One lunchtime in a city pub, he was there, in a rumpled suit, tie up round his ear, and shirt partially hanging out of his trousers. The suit was new on that morning, it was a skill he had, making clothes look lived in. :)

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

If that was a linen jacket, have you ever tried keeping one crease free?

Equally he may be one of those people who just naturally render freshly pressed clothing a mess, simply by putting them on. I used to work with a man who did this. One lunchtime in a city pub, he was there, in a rumpled suit, tie up round his ear, and shirt partially hanging out of his trousers. The suit was new on that morning, it was a skill he had, making clothes look lived in. :)

That's a bit like me, I never look smart no matter what I try to wear or do

I would like to thank all those who entertained me during the weekend, especially anybody who provided cups of tea. I don't know why but I thought this year was a really good event, but it is the people (on the boats) that made it good rather than the boats :captain:

8 hours ago, pete harrison said:

I would like to thank all those who entertained me during the weekend, especially anybody who provided cups of tea. I don't know why but I thought this year was a really good event, but it is the people (on the boats) that made it good rather than the boats :captain:

Seconded.

We had probably our best Braunston ever, despite the overall visitor numbers looking a bit thinner than some years.  (It's actually not great fun when you can't get across or under any of the bridges, nor find a good vantage point to view from!)

The number of boats attending is curious.  I made no attempt to make a list, but they certainly claimed 80 plus, despite some lengths of mooring appearing to have boats moored one less abreast than in some years.

Particularly pleasing to see lots of boats that have not been regular attendees in the past, and particularly several interesting wooden examples, something we get precious few of these days.

Both our boats got to parade, which was great, as last year a gearbox failure meant we only got one to the show.  The Sunday parade was particularly chaotic, but nobody seemed to mind!

(Oh, and David Schweizer and I got to be rude to each other as well, which is now a firmly established bit of Braunston tradition!)

Edited by alan_fincher
  • Greenie 1

We're now recovering from a weekend of non-stop talking to friends old and new.

Was it my imagination, or has the standard of steering greatly improved?  Many more boats this year seemed to take the ladder bridge turn in one go.

Incidentally, congratulations to David Daines who stepped into Norman's shoes admirably as the new commentator. 

6 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

We're now recovering from a weekend of non-stop talking to friends old and new.

Was it my imagination, or has the standard of steering greatly improved?  Many more boats this year seemed to take the ladder bridge turn in one go.

Incidentally, congratulations to David Daines who stepped into Norman's shoes admirably as the new commentator. 

And we were led to believe that you were the only one to achieve that!! ??

6 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Seconded.

We had probably our best Braunston ever, despite the overall visitor numbers looking a bit thinner than some years.  (It's actually not great fun when you can't get across or under any of the bridges, nor find a good vantage point to view from!)

The number of boats attending is curious.  I made no attempt to make a list, but they certainly claimed 80 plus, despite some lengths of mooring appearing to have boats moored one less abreast than in some years.

Particularly pleasing to see lots of boats that have not been regular attendees in the past, and particularly several interesting wooden examples, something we get precious few of these days.

Both our boats got to parade, which was great, as last year a gearbox failure meant we only got one to the show.  The Sunday parade was particularly chaotic, but nobody seemed to mind!

(Oh, and David Schweizer and I got to be rude to each other as well, which is now a firmly established bit of Braunston tradition!)

With that shirt, how could anyone take you seriously ? ?

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

15 hours ago, pete harrison said:

I agree, we thoroughly enjoyed meeting many old aquaintances. The musical entertainment was also much better, particularly Milke Askin and his friends who delivered an excellent range of acoustic/rock folk music.

19 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

From memory I have made a list, and I am sure there will be a few more:

ADAMANT

ALSAGER

AQUILA

ATLANTIC

BADGER

BARROW

BEAULIEU

BIDEFORD

BLETCHLEY

BRIGHTON

CAMEL

CARNABY

CASSIOPEIA

CEDAR

CEPHEUS

CHERTSEY

COLUMBIA

CORONA

CYPRUS

DAPHNE

DODONA

DORADO

EILEEN

EMU

ENCELADUS

FENNY

FLAMINGO

FULBOURNE

GERALD

GLOUCESTER (reproduction)

GORT

HADLEY

HAMPTON

HASTY (reproduction)

HAWK

HELEN

HOLLAND

JOE

KEW

LION

LYNX

MANCHURIA

MERCURY

NUNEATON

NUTFIELD

OBERON (reproduction)

ORPHEUS (reproduction)

OXFORD No. 1

PADDINGTON

PANTHER

PELICAN

PINTAIL (B.W.B. push tug)

PURTON

RAVEN

RAYMOND

RENFREW

SCULPTOR

SEAFORD

SICKLE

SOUTHERN CROSS

STANTON

STAR

TARDEBIGGE

TUG No. 2 (ALGOL)

VESTA

VICTORIA

WHITBY

WILLIAM

(68 including 4 reproductions and a B.W.B. push tug)

also resident at Braunston:

BODMIN (in marina)

CLENT (on the bank at Braunston Turn)

JAMES LOADER (on the bank at Braunston Turn)

LUCY (on the bank at Braunston Turn)

MONARCH (in marina)

RAT (offside at Braunston Turn)

RENNIE (south of Ladder Bridge)

TOUCAN (offside south of Ladder Bridge)

1 hour ago, X Alan W said:

Noted that Corona attended Who owns/was steering it

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I was wondering that too. I think I saw Paul Barber steering in in a parade.

I believe it is now in the same ownership as Alsager/Rollo, but their names escape the at the moment.

I doubt Paul was steering it, but people do take turns on other people's boats, so it is possible.

Edited by alan_fincher

5 hours ago, pete harrison said:

also resident at Braunston:

BODMIN (in marina)

CLENT (on the bank at Braunston Turn)

JAMES LOADER (on the bank at Braunston Turn)

LUCY (on the bank at Braunston Turn)

MONARCH (in marina)

RAT (offside at Braunston Turn)

RENNIE (south of Ladder Bridge)

TOUCAN (offside south of Ladder Bridge)

Attending list should include

SHARPNESS

Also resident list should include (at least)

JOSEPH (in marina)

VULCAN (in marina)
ZODIAC (offside)

MONARCH did come out on parade

Still can't see how they got to 80 plus, though!

Edited by alan_fincher

We really like this picture by Key Maslin, who takes really good shots at these events.

Not sure it will appear to non Facebook users though

35888192_1991227657589273_66797441762522

Edited by alan_fincher

55 minutes ago, jake_crew said:

Tug Typhoon should be added to the list.

What was up with Gloucester's K2 - only running cleanly on 1 cylinder I guess. 

Had a chat with them going up braunston flight. Both cylinders were firing even though it sounded and looked otherwise. Loosening the injector bypass on one cylinder then the other did not make the engine stop. Most puzzling and they were very worried about it. Masses of white/pale grey smoke and a very uneven sound made me think it was another Skandia!

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Had a chat with them going up braunston flight. Both cylinders were firing even though it sounded and looked otherwise. Loosening the injector bypass on one cylinder then the other did not make the engine stop. Most puzzling and they were very worried about it. Masses of white/pale grey smoke and a very uneven sound made me think it was another Skandia!

Bad fuel?

3 hours ago, X Alan W said:

Noted that Corona attended Who owns/was steering it

Whoever it is, they are contenders for the rudest, most bad humoured boaters on the system. Whatever you do, don't give them a hearty hello and mention the previous lovely owner...………………………...

Whoever ends up owning Corona will have a hard act to follow.

Along with the boat comes Trevor.

It wouldn't matter if you changed its name and painted it pink, everyone you pass will make the same unoriginal comments, best get used to it.