Braunston Historic Boat Rally 2018

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Dartagnan said:

In that case I retract my comment with apologies 

I wouldn't.

I think that's an obscene amount of money regardless of where it ends up.  At that rate it won't be long before inspecting the cars in the car park will be as popular as gazing at the boats, if only to observe who is rich enough to pay that much and what sort of 'jam jar' they drive.

There are many with walking difficulties and small youngsters they wish to educate who won't be able to perambulate from the next nearest car parking area (which incidentally is where? Busy main road, Unhappy pub landlord's car park, Swindler's customers, parking ??????)

I give to charity regularly and I volunteer ….. as and when I want, and not because I'm held to ransom.  I'm not coughing up for Tim's OBE.

It's become a point to shame people with in this country now. "Ah, but it's for charity!" So what? It's coming out of my depleted pockets, don't try and shame me until you've walked 5 miles in my underpants!

• Greenie 4

15 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

It's become a point to shame people with in this country now. "Ah, but it's for charity!" So what? It's coming out of my depleted pockets, don't try and shame me until you've walked 5 miles in my underpants!

That vision has just put me off my dinner!

George

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

That vision has just put me off my dinner!

George

……. serves you right for eating dinner.  You should be on Badger's counter drinking tea from an oversized cup and saucer like any decent Josher steerer!

1 hour ago, BWM said:

Charity is normally a gift freely given, not extracted in the form of a charge. 

Really?? Many charities charge for access to their services eg, The National Trust.

Entrance to the show is free, the charge is for using the car park, which I agree is a bit of a hike from previous years, but unfortunatley ever increasing health and safety legislation makes mounting such events increasuingly expensive, have you been to a vintage steam fair recently? most charge at least £10 per person, so the charge is comparable (unless you are on your own)

Edited by David Schweizer

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

I wouldn't.

I think that's an obscene amount of money regardless of where it ends up.  At that rate it won't be long before inspecting the cars in the car park will be as popular as gazing at the boats, if only to observe who is rich enough to pay that much and what sort of 'jam jar' they drive.

There are many with walking difficulties and small youngsters they wish to educate who won't be able to perambulate from the next nearest car parking area (which incidentally is where? Busy main road, Unhappy pub landlord's car park, Swindler's customers, parking ??????)

I give to charity regularly and I volunteer ….. as and when I want, and not because I'm held to ransom.  I'm not coughing up for Tim's OBE.

It appears that it was originally one mile in moccassins:

https://jamesmilson.com/about-the-blog/judge-softly-or-walk-a-mile-in-his-moccasins-by-mary-t-lathrap/

Whoever's walking five miles from the car park at Braunston is taking a very roundabout route.

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

Really?? Many charities charge for access to their services eg, The National Trust.

Entrance to the show is free, the charge is for using the car park, which I agree is a bit of a hike from previous years, but unfortunatley ever increasing health and safety legislation makes mounting such events increasuingly expensive, have you been to a vintage steam fair recently? most charge at least £10 per person, so the charge is comparable (unless you are on your own)

Some fair points made, but I don't think a national trust property is comparable with an event like Braunston, which aims (I presume), to introduce people to our canal heritage. Being where it is, most folks attending will have invested both in time and fuel to reach the event, and for some I would see this as being a barrier to attending. 

1 hour ago, BWM said:

I would see this as being a barrier to attending. 

Don't know about attending, it could well be a barrier to parking. I'm expecting Braunston to be full of creative parking

Richard

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

The police have never charged a penny to Tim over the years and provided all the traffic cones and officers on site free of charge, where does this massive hike cost come from??

17 minutes ago, GeoffS said:

Bletchley is a new addition to their fleet.

I thought this was a separate business operated by Alan Buckle, operated on the Nene, athough he does work with Ryan and Jules when picking up stock from Jacksons.

Edited to add, I believe Alan has a new boat coming and Bletchley went off yesterday to her new owners??? 

Liam??

Edited by matty40s

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I thought this was a separate business operated by Alan Buckle, operated on the Nene, athough he does work with Ryan and Jules when picking up stock from Jacksons.

That's also what I thought, and the pictures of Bletchley towing Bideford looked to me like Alan was at the tiller on the motor, so I would be surprised if that were not still the case.

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

That's also what I thought, and the pictures of Bletchley towing Bideford looked to me like Alan was at the tiller on the motor, so I would be surprised if that were not still the case.

I haven't seen any pictures but I can assure you Jules was steering it through Braunston yesterday!

5 hours ago, zenataomm said:

I wouldn't.

Absolutely agree.  I went into Wickes to buy one replacement blow lamp gas cylinder and each customer in front of me in the checkout queue got the same utterance from the young female on duty "youriiiiiyte - doyer wanna add 50p to your bill for xxxxx charity"?

Each customer said NO.

I give up. Its free to walk cycle parachute roller skate levitate beam in boat canoe bus ‘ get dropped off. However if you wish to take a lump of polluting depreciating metal and plastic and park it on a private field, the owner will legitimately charge you, and then because he’s a decent human being donate that income voluntarily to charity.

• Greenie 1

53 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The police have never charged a penny to Tim over the years and provided all the traffic cones and officers on site free of charge, where does this massive hike cost come from??

I don't see what that has to do with anything. There are a lot of costs involved which have gone up over the years and have to be met. There is a limit on what stall holders can be charged before they dcide not to attend,  so the rest has to come from the only other form income generation which is car parking. The cost will includeH hiring and erecting marquees, hiring toilets, hiring bands for entertainment,  hiring PA systems, expenses for visiting folk/morris dabce teams, Risk Assesment and Public Liability Insurance, etc etc. the cost of which has gone up over the years.

Tim's biggest failing is to have not increased the parking charge annually, and now I doubt whether the income generated is providing very much for local organizations, so the charges have to go up. I would be interested to learn what contribution in either time or cash the main complainers actually do to benefit charitable organizations..

32 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

Surely fairer  to charge each boat £10 and the same for the cars

I disagree, as suggested by Alan Fincher, it costs them a lot more to get there than the £20 car parking fee, and perhaps you could explain how they can charge for attending and mooring on the towpath which is owned by C&ART and not Braunston Marina?

6 hours ago, zenataomm said:

I wouldn't.

You don't have to attend

2 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I disagree, as suggested by Alan Fincher, it costs them a lot more to get there than the £20 car parking fee, and perhaps you could explain how they can charge for attending and mooring on the towpath which is owned by C&ART and not Braunston Marina?

You don't have tio attend

I shan't be, I am however entitled to have an opinion.

Incidentally tio is Uncle in Spanish and I am neither.

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I don't see what that has to do with anything.

I do, for if they had charged for attendance and policing as they do at other events, the costs would have been far higher than most of Tims other costs.

9 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I do, for if they had charged for attendance and policing as they do at other events, the costs would have been far higher than most of Tims other costs.

The Police routinely attend and police public events which are charitable or not profit making without making a charge. I ran a lot of public events when I was working, and the Police never submitted an invoice for their services. If the show was a commecial event, they probaby would charge, but it isn't.

35 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I shan't be, I am however entitled to have an opinion.

Incidentally tio is Uncle in Spanish and I am neither.

Tio Pepe, uncle Peter. I didn't know that