Bank Holiday tied up and secure!!

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

or its forgotten what a full days work is.....

Giz a shout if you need sum help, Paul is only practicing tonneau cover gymnastics - got removal down to 37 seconds now.

Thanks again Matty for the offer. ALL sorted and I refuse to answer questions ?

39 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

And how interesting to have religious holidays as state holidays, despite the 1905 legal separation of church and state.

Ah, let us remember the pragmatism of the French. For example, faced with the inescapable fact that everyone would slope off to visit their family graves on Toussaint (All Saints' Day) and thereby cause work absenteeism on a literally industrial scale, they no doubt declared it a public holiday and thereby resolved the problem.

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

On the move today lubbly jubbly then half way down Buckby flight and B.O.A.T sprang into action ☹️

No wonder it's started raining.

Just got tied up at the Black Country Museum as it started to rain.

Just now, ianali said:

I am going for something on the prop? Can’t imagine mrsmelly would have gone done weedhatch as it’s always raining on him, plus of course he would never have a pramhood to keep him dry...

That's my suspicion as well, when I picked a keepnet up on the prop my first thought was the gearbox had gone bang. Fortunately I humoured mrs-M  when she suggested checking the weedhatch rather than calling RCR to a failed gearbox.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Ah, let us remember the pragmatism of the French. For example, faced with the inescapable fact that everyone would slope off to visit their family graves on Toussaint (All Saints' Day) and thereby cause work absenteeism on a literally industrial scale, they no doubt declared it a public holiday and thereby resolved the problem.

Something similar to New Years Day after everyone getting hung over from New Years eve

3 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

That's my suspicion as well, when I picked a keepnet up on the prop my first thought was the gearbox had gone bang. Fortunately I humoured mrs-M  when she suggested checking the weedhatch rather than calling RCR to a failed gearbox.

A mate had a worse one than that, lost drive so checked prop all clear so pulled boat into marina and called RCR, chap arrived said I don't know anything about that old stuff(Lister) and left saying someone else would come out, nobody else came in his place.

Called Jono from Branston, its now 3 day later and he came out same day. Start engine puts it in gear. Looks over the back and tells my mate to give it some welly, he then took the boat hook and got a lorry tilt. They eventually hauled it out from under the boat. With everything still you couldn't see anything, but in gear it just stopped all the water getting to the prop.I don't know why it didn't chew it onto the blades but it didnt.

4 hours ago, matty40s said:

or its forgotten what a full days work is.....

Giz a shout if you need sum help, Paul is only practicing tonneau cover gymnastics - got removal down to 37 seconds now.

You can come and do ours!

54 minutes ago, ianali said:

I am going for something on the prop? Can’t imagine mrsmelly would have gone done weedhatch as it’s always raining on him, plus of course he would never have a pramhood to keep him dry...

Ok Ok you lot. Well I could lie and you would never know but as I can give it so can I take it. So coming out of lock major noise seemed like something on prop but much worse so I coasts to side and bro in law ties up behind me. Boards up nowt to see so OBVIOUSLY somett ont prop. Bro  in law younger and fitter than me so he says he will check prop which he duly does. Hes a newby with only about 15 years boat ownership but he is a switched on bloke and after a thorough check pronounces " Nowt ont prop!! " Checked gearbox oil level and spot on so rather than do further damage :banghead:  rings RCR who duly attend nice chap takes me at face value and checks gearbox................. and then prop.........................................He did say it was easily missed as it was that huge and heavy it had floated below the skeg....................but it was a big very knotted piece of rope. :blush: Talk about feel and look like a twatt!! Guilty as charged me lud. Now I know you lot will not believe me when I tell you it was bro in law who missed it................. BUT ITS TRUE................moral of story of course is check yersen!!

RCR was a top bloke and managed not to laugh......................at least till he was out of sight :cheers:

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

:blush:

• Haha 4

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Thankyou Rusty..............It didnt take you long innitt :D

Sorry smelly glad it was something simple and you can continue your summer cruise. Put that "boat" back under your matress for a rainy day (tomorrow). 

• Happy 1

Last summer I asked an RCR bloke if they get together in the pub of a Friday for a 'Pillock of the Week Award'.

We were moored in Leighton Buzzard. Came to start the engine.......nothing. Complete lack of everything. No click, no beeping, no dials lit up. Absolutly nothing.

Checked the engine, checked the wiring to the control panel, checked that big connector at the back of the engine. Everything seemed in order.

After I calmed down I phoned RCR. They got a very helpful chap to phone me. He talked me through everything he thought might need checking, including the 40 amp fuse helpfully hidden behind the gearbox oil cooler (Beta 43, BTW). Everything in order.

"OK" he said "Lets get back to basics. Have you checked the battery isolation switches?"

I looked. I'd pushed something into the corner where they are, knocking one of them off.

Flicked it back, turned the key and my helpful friend heard the engine warning beeping loudly!

I thanked him for his help, apologised for being such an idiot and in answer to my question he said "Don't worry. We've had much worse than this!"

Edited by Victor Vectis
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Something similar to New Years Day after everyone getting hung over from New Years eve

You're a mind-reader - I almost mentioned that too.

Come on, we've all been there, I remember some years ago losing a couple of hours trying to establish why the engine wouldn't fire and coming to all sorts of potentially expensive conclusions. If I had been with RCR I would have rung them.   

It was an old BMC and I hadn't pushed the engine stop pull switch back in fully.

In post 43, and a few subsequent posts, we went off topic for a while and onto the subject of sourdough bread.

I've added some more stuff but in a new thread in the Recipes forum for anyone interested.

It's here...

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Ok Ok you lot. Well I could lie and you would never know but as I can give it so can I take it. So coming out of lock major noise seemed like something on prop but much worse so I coasts to side and bro in law ties up behind me. Boards up nowt to see so OBVIOUSLY somett ont prop. Bro  in law younger and fitter than me so he says he will check prop which he duly does. Hes a newby with only about 15 years boat ownership but he is a switched on bloke and after a thorough check pronounces " Nowt ont prop!! " Checked gearbox oil level and spot on so rather than do further damage :banghead:  rings RCR who duly attend nice chap takes me at face value and checks gearbox................. and then prop.........................................He did say it was easily missed as it was that huge and heavy it had floated below the skeg....................but it was a big very knotted piece of rope. :blush: Talk about feel and look like a twatt!! Guilty as charged me lud. Now I know you lot will not believe me when I tell you it was bro in law who missed it................. BUT ITS TRUE................moral of story of course is check yersen!!

RCR was a top bloke and managed not to laugh......................at least till he was out of sight :cheers:

:blush:

I can't believe you have blamed someone else.:ninja:

• Happy 1

12 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Come on, we've all been there, I remember some years ago losing a couple of hours trying to establish why the engine wouldn't fire and coming to all sorts of potentially expensive conclusions. If I had been with RCR I would have rung them.   

It was an old BMC and I hadn't pushed the engine stop pull switch back in fully.

Been there and done that. Only we did it with the fuel cut off which we never switch off when onboard :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, cuthound said:

Is it raining there yet? ?

?

9 hours ago, matty40s said:

well, MrSmelly has managed to get past Stowe Hill without any further mishaps. 

Stoke Bruerne  :P