March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Don't care, creepy as owt, get rid before they murder you in your sleep ;) 

Cant had them for 23 years, they are both in the SBS to hard for me to take on! Although Oscar did fling Rosie around when he was a pup

1 hour ago, noddyboater said:

Sounds like a good plan but I fear the owners may have more money than sense!

Slightly off topic.. CRT should definitely start refusing licences to owner's of boats who can't keep the roof clear of crap.

The amount of near head on collisions I've had lately is worrying.  A clear line of sight from the steering position shouldn't be an optional extra. 

I had one of those coming towards me on totally the wrong side. Widebeam with No forward visibility so I crossed to pass green to green. As we passed he moaned I was on the wrong side !

He couldn't see me until the last minute as his view was completely obstructed and he was going down the cut to his left side. When he did see me he altered course to the right but I had already positioned myself to go green to green as he didn't see me. 

Of course technically I was in the wrong but confronted with a large boat with apparently no helm the idea is to not crash into them. 

No contact was made because his manoover was so late that it made no difference. 

• Greenie 1

On 22/08/2023 at 01:11, Hudds Lad said:

Yes, my mate who worked at Dunsley’s did.

Admittedly it was years later and he studied Politics i think :D 

And there I was, about to respond, no, but politicians do, and I would have upset someone!

Junk on towpath side combined with even more junk, tree trunks, rubbish on roof, even on the actual towpath, obviously occupied all year round, ie liveaboards on CRT Waterside leisure moorings. SECTION 8

Edited by LadyG

Bloody widebeams they're everywhere these days!

29t-22p.jpg

5-boats-at-Eanam-Wharf.jpg

output.009.jpg

James davies Group (14).jpeg

JLyon.jpg

048.jpeg

On 22/08/2023 at 14:48, magnetman said:

I had one of those coming towards me on totally the wrong side. Widebeam with No forward visibility so I crossed to pass green to green. As we passed he moaned I was on the wrong side !

He couldn't see me until the last minute as his view was completely obstructed and he was going down the cut to his left side. When he did see me he altered course to the right but I had already positioned myself to go green to green as he didn't see me. 

Of course technically I was in the wrong but confronted with a large boat with apparently no helm the idea is to not crash into them. 

No contact was made because his manoover was so late that it made no difference. 

And nowhere in that story did you think of sounding your horn to make him aware of you - preferably when you first saw him on the wrong side? 

By the way, it's not just widebeams that have no forward visibility and travel on the wrong side on bends. Plenty of narrowboaters do it too but then of course that wouldn't fit in with the general  t̶h̶e̶m̶e̶ negativity of this thread. 😋

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 3

8 minutes ago, blackrose said:

29t-22p.jpg

output.009.jpg

JLyon.jpg

048.jpeg

Less issues though when there weren't inconsiderate boaters moored all over the place and steerers actually knew how to steer their boat.  And not a single pram hood in sight.

• Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, blackrose said:

29t-22p.jpg

output.009.jpg

JLyon.jpg

048.jpeg

And nowhere in that story did you think of sounding your horn to make him aware of you - preferably when you first saw him on the wrong side? 

By the way, it's not just widebeams that have no forward visibility and travel on the wrong side on bends. Plenty of narrowboaters do it too but then of course that wouldn't fit in with the general  t̶h̶e̶m̶e̶ negativity of this thread. 😋

Unfortunately the horn on my own wide beam boat was not working at the time or yes I would have given two blasts fo indicate green to green. 

• Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Less issues though when there weren't inconsiderate boaters moored all over the place and steerers actually knew how to steer their boat.  And not a single pram hood in sight.

No forests of rubber side pipe fenders either, to come off and foul other boaters' propellers. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

29t-22p.jpg

output.009.jpg

JLyon.jpg

048.jpeg

The boat with no forward visibility that tried to collide head-on with me was a widebeam, but I've seen narrowboats with just as much stuff on the roof. With a narrowboat you can at least stand/lean over to the port side and see past it, but you can't on a widebeam with tiller steering... 😞

So the weekends cruise out, within less than 4 minutes had to take evasive action with a fatty moored just the other side of an overhanging tree.20230828_215920.jpg.3a21bd2d2af8b071566260edba086f28.jpg

Then not much further on, 20230827_132510.jpg.81e1b45377386c6b4b5506e8de2d82a1.jpg20230827_132529.jpg.40d2c3f3e7804a2d1088e16526f77302.jpg

Inside of a sharp bend,  this one is an repeat offender on this pound..

20230827_132600.jpg.b7d94df2191d09153a2340363ee6d8f4.jpg

A humongous thing near Bugbrooke..

20230828_220556.jpg.a19cd3113df8962f2af50ac2fd2a264d.jpg

Then a strange lifeboat/barge thing appeared at blisworth ..20230827_185101.thumb.jpg.659ade6c658ca6c35c4a2ff29197a823.jpg

Ran the generator for 6 hours, then went to Gayton to turn round at 7pm, and must have gone back through the tunnel in the dark as it wasnt anywhere to be seen next morning.

There was one more, moored up to a sluice protection railing rather than stick a pin in the ground or find a better mooring. I did try to say hello twice, and sent him a message in the 2 numbers I had for him, but Steve on Jenlyn likes to hide his identity....20230828_221127.jpg.92f2d150a6c15eb43a32ecae8619c7bf.jpg

Best widebeam I saw all weekend was at Blisworth....

20230828_221148.jpg.2ff501709aaa6b3421840a16a1b1da85.jpg

I could not live with some of these, in fact one of the problems I had when buying a narrowboat was "getting my eye in".

It must have worked because numerous people compliment me on the boat, maybe they just know how to win friends and influence people :)

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It may say something about the owner when they name a boat after a Belgian lager also known in this country as wife beater....

20230916_110517.jpg

Love the historically accurate red and white stern bands... 😉

17 minutes ago, IanD said:

Love the historically accurate red and white stern bands... 😉

I thought stern bands were the bit below the counter, not above it . Like our boat, the stern is low in the water and two stern bands are not visible so a bit pointless painting red or white 

5 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Absolutely- it’s nearly a proper boat 😱 🤣

I think this is quite a frequent Aqualine trend. There’s a few on narrowboats or widebeams. 

All the cruiser stern Aqualines both narrow and wide have this solid steel monstrosity now.

Tunnel bands...

20230916_185851.jpg