Coal price

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Never mind the price, what about the quality! The last load of Excel I bought I am having difficulty in keeping alight! Normally my problem is preventing overheating, but not this stuff. Its garbage.

And there lies the problem. There only used to be 3 or 4 named smokeless fuels but recently in the last ten or fifteen years or so there are now about eighty four million supposedly different named fuels many of which are totally different each year. Some years good some years crap. Phurnacite is usualy very good but who knows this year?

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

And there lies the problem. There only used to be 3 or 4 named smokeless fuels but recently in the last ten or fifteen years or so there are now about eighty four million supposedly different named fuels many of which are totally different each year. Some years good some years crap. Phurnacite is usualy very good but who knows this year?

I usually favour phurnacite

5 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Anthracite 6.75 for a 25 kg bag from local coal merchant burns superb mate and I have just taken delivery of a ton each

Anthracite is theeee best by far when its cold and the vents are open but harder to keep alight on tickover. Cold winters and I buy nowt else.

21 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Anthracite is theeee best by far when its cold and the vents are open but harder to keep alight on tickover. Cold winters and I buy nowt else.

My Rayburn was clearly designed for it, it ticks over at 150 degrees c half a turn is about 190 and one turn is toooooo bloody hot!!

These are oven temps and the turn is the air screw/chrome knob, It lights with a used paper element oil filter and once winter gets here will burn 24/7 until spring. At the moment I am burning the old wood interior of the bathtub great for cooking on but not as easy to control as the anthracite. 

4 minutes ago, peterboat said:

My Rayburn was clearly designed for it, it ticks over at 150 degrees c half a turn is about 190 and one turn is toooooo bloody hot!!

These are oven temps and the turn is the air screw/chrome knob, It lights with a used paper element oil filter and once winter gets here will burn 24/7 until spring. At the moment I am burning the old wood interior of the bathtub great for cooking on but not as easy to control as the anthracite. 

Rayburns are fab but as I have a silly skinny boat at the moment its no rayburn for me. I have had one in a house though in a previous life and they are a great bit of kit.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Coal, or other bags, 25kg or 20kg???

Now there's a question! We've used 2 bags so far this autumn bought from the marina but forgot to look at the brand or whether it was 20 or 25Kg. Looks like we will need 2 bags per week. Need to do some homework. Great info as usual.

if i remember i used 30/35 bags of blaze from bm stores .but also used logs ..but all the old hands out there , now there is an art to making a fire last for ever and i take my hat of too you all ,i thought a fire was fire ..but have learnt thats not the case ..sometimes  i get it right most times not .i have got to the stage of getting the fire to stay in all night ...where its not uncomfortably to hot and believe me thats an art in its self ...someone asked me if i ever do an upside down fire ...i thought here we go no such thing ,,but there is ...answers on a postcard please

Our current boat has a diesel drip stove, but the two shareboats has multi-fuel stoves.

I found Taybrite to be the most consistent from year to year,  easy to light and stays in overnight but it does create a lot of ash.

Anthracite is a proper coal with smokeless properties. It can be difficult to light but burns really hot.  Someone advised me to light the fire with Coalite (easy to light but not very hot, nor will it stay in overnight) than add the Anthracite.

Worked well but I never could keep Anthracite in overnight.

I've boat 25kg bags of Excel from my local coal boat for £9.70 per bag.  Added bonuses are: 1.  It gets delivered right to my mooring and neatly stacked for me.  2.  I don't even have to be there when it arrives.  3.  I'm helping to keep a historic boat running.

No brainer really.

I've had no bother lighting it either.  Seems the same as last year but with slightly less ash I think.  Result.

11 hours ago, haza said:

if i remember i used 30/35 bags of blaze from bm stores .but also used logs ..but all the old hands out there , now there is an art to making a fire last for ever and i take my hat of too you all ,i thought a fire was fire ..but have learnt thats not the case ..sometimes  i get it right most times not .i have got to the stage of getting the fire to stay in all night ...where its not uncomfortably to hot and believe me thats an art in its self ...someone asked me if i ever do an upside down fire ...i thought here we go no such thing ,,but there is ...answers on a postcard please

I launched a dawn raid to rescue you from the chatroom, as you'd been init fror ages and ages, but you weren't in there!  but it seems you've left a ghost behind. I got up early for nuffink.  :huh:

3 hours ago, Psycloud said:

Whatever you're paying there's a good chance it will go up next week as our marina supplier has told us that prices will rise on the likes of Taybrite/Pureglow/Supertherm etc on 1st October.  

that's why I stockpile in July/August/September got 60 bags stashed now for the winter for Cottage and boat.

• Greenie 1