Angling contests on the Shroppie

dor

Featured Posts

The last fisherman of note had the following comment for me...

"You're the 4th f@!$&£ boat to come in here and churn everything up, I'm going to throw barbed wire in the f*^" things up for you boaters"

He didn't seem to understand that boat have to use winding holes to turn around

On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 21:49, mrsmelly said:

If I were a cyclist I would cycle on roads these are designed for vehicles of which a bicycle is.

If I were an angler I would fish on the many rivers and lakes that abound.

If I were a runner I would attend a running track.

If I were a swimmer I would go to a swimming pool as the name suggests.

I am a boater in a boat designed for use on a canal which is were I am so why does every one of the above feel the need to grab my space?

It is not 'Your' space.

It is an amenity which you have permission to keep a boat on.

4 hours ago, chubby said:

Goodness me

Ok . Im not lost as to why anglers will annoy boaters . Last time i was out i ended up tangling up a boaters lines cos he ignored me whilst i pulled into the lock landing he was sat on .  

Eh?  Are you saying his boat was on the lock landing?  If so why was he using lines?

As for people getting selfish because they've paid shed loads of money to use a resource and then find themselves seriously restricted in how they use it, I have to agree with you.  If you really want to see licence payers getting really prissy over non licence players, then go and play hopscotch on the M6.  Lorry drivers' are messing about on the road with a vehicle that costs nearly £2k to licence, and they take a pretty dim view of you using the road to play this ancient game which dates back to Roman Times.

I've found most fisherman to be courteous and willing to engage if you give them the chance. I always go down the middle on the basis that they are fishing the opposite bank with their roach poles. I go gently but not at tickover. 

If some poor sod has drawn the peg on the lock landing they will have to accept what's coming to them. They shouldn't be there. I'll try to accommodate them but my crews safety comes first. 

Just now, Cheshire cat said:

I've found most fisherman to be courteous and willing to engage if you give them the chance. I always go down the middle on the basis that they are fishing the opposite bank with their roach poles. I go gently but not at tickover. 

If some poor sod has drawn the peg on the lock landing they will have to accept what's coming to them. They shouldn't be there. I'll try to accommodate them but my crews safety comes first. 

I've asked the Angling Trust to clarify whether they will be pegging lock landings (within 50 yards) and Visitor Moorings.

They have declined to respond.   Take that as you will.

30 minutes ago, dor said:

I've asked the Angling Trust to clarify whether they will be pegging lock landings (within 50 yards) and Visitor Moorings.

They have declined to respond.   Take that as you will.

According to the CRT website's fishing guidelines:

" Where not to fish

• Fishing is not allowed in lock chambers, within 25 metres (one boat length) of a lock approach, within 25 metres of a water point or in the vicinity of overhead powerlines."

So if lock moorings are pegged out, the organisers will be in breach of the guidelines (as well as unfair to the competitors who are allocated those particular pegs).

That said, the information is not easy to find on the CRT website, so you can understand anglers might be unaware.

I'm slightly confused about the event in question, it's organised by Hodnet Angling club so presumably anglers will only be fishing in waters where the club own the rights. That can't possibly include lock landings and visitor moorings surely?

12 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

Just like to say thanks to you for collecting all this info and passing it on.

CWDF at its best :clapping:

Their answer is :

Hi Stephen, as advised, any questions need to be directed towards the match manager or if you would like to discuss it with ourselves you can reach John Ellis at fisheries@canalrivertrust.org.uk. The information we provided before is all we have here. Siân L

So I think that means yes - they are pegging across the 48 hour mooring at Black Flat.  I wonder if they are going to post notices at each end basically telling you so you can plan not to stop... I feel sorry for the poor sods who are heading north or south and find that they can't stop when they want to.

10 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Their answer is :

So I think that means yes - they are pegging across the 48 hour mooring at Black Flat.  I wonder if they are going to post notices at each end basically telling you so you can plan not to stop... I feel sorry for the poor sods who are heading north or south and find that they can't stop when they want to.

Have CRT issued a Stoppage Notice suspending these Visitor Moorings for the duration of the angling match?  If not then surely the standard CRT guidelines apply:

"When fishing at visitor moorings be prepared to pack up and move if yours is the only space available for mooring. When visitor moorings are likely to be busy think whether it is sensible to fish there."

When I went through  the national a few years back, all the 48 hour  moorings  I  passed were pegged. Lock  landings in general weren't but were pegged right up to them so it was almost impossible to get in without disturbing the fishermen, and certainly in one case there was a bloke right by the lock. Pleased to say I outcursed him. 

I would wonder whether CRT have a " presence " at such events ? . If they have given permission for an angling competition then thats one thing , but IF theyve  failed to provide clear guidelines as to where is & is not to be pegged - lock landings for instance then id expect a degree of conflict as no one should be pegged on them . 

If this is the case then is suggest CRT are completely at fault as theyve failed to foresee potential problems . 

Would i find that surprising ... not really 

cheers

It would seem that an email to fisheries@canalrivertrust.org.uk is in order - I suspect that C&RT will have basically said "stuff the boaters" which is what happened last time there was a major match on the Shroppie.

Email sent:

Hi

Can you tell me if the 48 hour visitor moorings on the canal at Blackflat Bridge are being suspended for the duration of the angling competition(s). They would seem to have been marked out for pegs over the past couple of weeks which would suggest that standard C&RT guidelines on fishing locations are being overridden,

Also given the length of this match are you going to post notices in advance so that people know that general mooring is going to be suspended and that they should expect transit of the canal to take longer than normal - especially given that this match is taking place in the peak holiday season for the canal.

Finally can you confirm what actions boaters should take through the lengths of the match - should they expect to stay in the middle of the channel and maintain a constant slow but reasonable speed or should they expect to be told to move to one side of the canal or the other depending on the whims of individual anglers (which is very often the case).

Thanks

Steve

And yes I'm feeling a bit confrontational ... I'm stuck at home on call for the Easter weekend for the second year running rather than being out enjoying my boat.

Edited by StephenA

I can only imagine that unless CRT declare a stoppage then boaters carry on as normal . If people r pegged on lock landings then they can expect to have boats pulling into thier swim as CRT have ok d it . Unless a stoppage notice is declared the canal is open and so stopping at lock landings is legit as CRT have failed to advise otherwise . 

I do wonder whether CRT have someone on hand at such events incase of friction but thats a little bit too close to forward thinking for such a bunch of innefficient office bound suits innit 

The sensible thing to do, if possible, would just seem to be to stay put for the day of the competition, which is what a lot of boats seem to have done when i went though. If you're moored up on a 48 hour mooring on the Saturday, you're entitled to stay there till Monday and if you're on a peg, presumably the fishermen will have to budge up a bit to the end of your boat.  There are enough dumped boats which are presumably not going to move anyway.

I remember when one of these was pegged out on the Loughborough section of the Soar a few years ago with over 250 pegs.

Lots of notices were put up asking boaters to moor between alternate pegs only.. if they really had to moor up.

The pegs were 30 feet apart.

Edited by matty40s

17 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I remember when one of these was pegged out on the Loughborough section of the Soar a few years ago with over 250 pegs.

Lots of notices were put up asking boaters to moor between alternate pegs only.. if they really had to moor up.

The pegs were 30 feet apart.

This sounds like a sign that would have the CRT logo on it 

If you want to play football with a few friends, fine. If you want to play (or watch) in a local league, fine. If you want to attend a super-league event with 100,000 people congregating then you need a special venue dedicated to the event and lots of extra facilities and regulation, and information for non-attenders to negotiate the traffic.

If you want to fish, fine. But if you want to practise this largely solitary sport on a super-league scale requiring miles and miles of waterside then you need special facilities and regulation and communication in a similar manner. This does not seem to happen. I would happily stay moored for a day if I knew an event was on, but I need a simple way of finding out. Actually the same applies to avoiding boating events that I do not intend to attend.

And why do the practitioners of an essentially solitary event need to congregate anyway? It is not as if they all get the same fishing conditions as a result. I don't understand fishing. Anybody want to join my new drone-flying-along-canals club? It makes as much sense as fishing. We are going to have a world championship and will need 200 miles of canal.

• Greenie 2

I wonder what fishermen taking part in these big competitions do when nature calls  I am not thinking of watering the hedge but the other activity 

Can't remember ever seeing portaloos on the towpath 

Probably best not to think too hard :-).  And folk complain about dog poo! 

Haggis 

3 hours ago, haggis said:

I wonder what fishermen taking part in these big competitions do when nature calls  I am not thinking of watering the hedge but the other activity 

Can't remember ever seeing portaloos on the towpath 

Probably best not to think too hard :-).  And folk complain about dog poo! 

Haggis 

Walk a length after a match and your nose will soon tell you!!

14 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

They are not there for the fishing, they are there to win the competition 

What in, worm drowning?

• 2 weeks later...

The answer from C&RT's Fisheries team is  :

the best thing for you to do is to speak with the event organisers who are Terry Nutt 07970 181824 and Dave Watkins 07725 556159 they will be able to help you with all queries.

So not sure quite why C&RT have a fisheries team if all they're going to do is tell people to talk to other people

It's a while since we last did the Shroppie but having done the entire length last week I'd suggest folk stay well away from it on August 19th.  I don't remember all the miles and miles of linear moorings and I had forgotten how shallow the cut is especially at the edges.  So add to that a few miles of roach polers and you probably have the most turgid experience possible on a narrowboat.  Especially if it happens to be raining.

We hit a match on Sunday as it happens, and most of the competitors were quite affable but they do like you to go as slow as possible.   

Yes, definitely keep away from the Shroppie at all times. It is truly awful. I only use it as an alternative to self-flagellation and my mooring here is as a penance. All these boats that use it are not here because it is an attractive canal, they are only here because they have not managed to get past the shallow shelf to find a way out.