pontcysyllte aqueduct

beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

Featured Posts

I don't like heights. My knees go weak. Its horrible.

So today this was quite an experience.

Stunning views mind.

A mixture of excitement and wonder with terror.

No towpath down one side, it felt like I was floating through the air.

And when the boat touched the side.. not a good feeling.

Just thought I'd share this, as I have no strangers to talk to.

Had the canal to myself so easy through the narrows.

Would be interesting to know how others deal with it (the aqueduct).

Is that when you say to your wife " your turn to stear" and then nip below.

We went across a few years ago with a family of friends with us, the wife/mother was not impressed and on the return journey she scurried off below looking out of the towpath side window. Travelling at tick over the rest of us got off and walked beside the window, you should have seen her face as she counted us, her husband, son, my wife and me who was supposed to be steering, she came up from below like a rabbit chased by a ferret.

Ha ha.

I thought about getting off and running across, letting the boat stear itself.

But the towpath is closed while they work on the iron railings.

I got off and walked to the front of the boat to take pictures for a bit, it's not like you need to steer, there is no where to go

I got off and walked to the front of the boat to take pictures for a bit, it's not like you need to steer, there is no where to go

I wouldnt be able. Me legs would go to jelly and I'd cry.

Just stare forward,

The worst is looking behind, thinking I must be half way, ..no just starting.

On our first trip to Stratford in a borrowed Dolpin cruiser, some time in the late 60s, my Father set off across Wootton Wawen aqueduct while my mother and sister were sunbathing on the cabin roof. I can still remember the screams as they saw the traffic passing below, clinging on grimly to the handrails. Dad was left in no doubt that he was to tell them before we entered Edstone Aqueduct!

Used to moor very near there and after the first few times I had no problems.

It became a giggle tbh, I would sit on the roof on the scary side, walk along the roof ( that was a bit too much), get out and walk along side and pop back down into the boat and put kettle on or just avoid the photographs.

Beautiful place

Many years ago we were crossing on a hire boat when we realised that one of our dogs was standing on top of the front rope on top of the bows. She had taken on the task of chasing duck out of the canal and we spent the whole trip across hoping that no ducks would appear or that she would lose her balance. We didn't say anything as we thought if we called her, she might fall as she turned round. A frightening journey!

haggis

Used to moor very near there and after the first few times I had no problems.

It became a giggle tbh, I would sit on the roof on the scary side, walk along the roof ( that was a bit too much), get out and walk along side and pop back down into the boat and put kettle on or just avoid the photographs.

Beautiful place

Nutter

?

We had a strong crosswind blowing us against the non towpath side, made me nervous when we bumped into the side of the trough, took comfort in logic, i.e. we would be the first boat in 200 years to break through and plunge to the ground (with me and the missus screaming all the way down to a violent and bloody death - gulp)

I am absolutely terrified of heights. We once went on a driving tour of France and when we approached the Pont De Normandie I just froze and stopped the car. We had to swap over drivers whilst a lot of impatient french drivers honked their horns. I can't drive over the Severn Bridge or the Barton Bridge near Manchester. The weird thing is I am ok flying and have been in a couple of helicopters, once over the Grand Canyon and another over New York and I was fine. I think it has something to do with having your feet on the ground but being high up. I couldn't do the last bit of the Eiffel tower and, if you are scared of heights be careful if you ever go to the Imperial War Museum in Manchester. It is designed with three interlocking 'shards' to represent land, water and air. The first two are ok but you go up in a lift to the 'Air' platform. When you get out only about 2% is the metal platform, I turned straight round and fought my way straight back into the lift!!!!sick.gifsick.gifblush.png.....

ps...... having said that I would still love to go over the Pontcysyllte Aquaduct......

Edited by Numpty
  • Greenie 1

Going over the Edstone Aquaduct years ago I thought I'd take a picture, stood on the roof with camera, looked through old fashioned viewfinder, boat touched the side, I wobbled, suddenly realised that it was horribly dangerous and very carefully sat down. Very Scared.

er........ morbid to ask....... but has anyone actually ever fallen off??ohmy.png

Yes, it would appear many people have as recently as last year:

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/pontcysyllte-aqueduct-fall-man-benjamin-11721987

Am not aware of any boaters having fallen off though.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Actually that is probably what I am afraid of, falling rather than just the height. From as early as I can remember I have always had quite bad dreams where I fall so it may something psychological........ but then I also had a dreadful childhood so I have a few other phobias as well......wacko.pngwacko.pngwacko.png