Which stove to buy ???

Lundy

Featured Posts

3rd - ed for the Hobbit. It's heating a 57' all porthole narrowboat (centrally placed) very well. It's really really controllable and, from the small ash output, pretty efficient. Very little to go wrong (although i'd have spare glass and rope and adhesive around! ninja.gif ) It will happily stay in all night with a decent log and a few bits of coal.

Downsides are; bit messy to lug coal about and empty the ash. biggrin.png

Diesel stoves are more expensive to buy and cleaner (no ash), more controllable (lit and hot within a few minutes, easily turned up, down & off).

However diesel tends to be more expensive than coal, although running cost is similar at the moment. Not sure how much longer cheap diesel will be around due to weak pound against dollar. They can be modified to run on even cheaper kerosene (home heating oil), but then need a seperate tank.

Unfortunately, unlike solid fuel stoves, they cannot be run off freely available wood (although some unscrupulous scrotes run them of freely available stolen diesel).

They are less common, hence harder to find someone to sort problems, but simple enough for DIY.

I was sceptical of mine (it came with the boat) but am now happy with it.

Edited due to premature posting.

Edited by cuthound

Morso squirrel every time. Very controlable, last for years speaking a s aliveaboard with umpteen years of using them and ocasionaly lesser stoves. Cheap enough considering how good they are. NEVER get a diesel stove I tried that once and ohhhhh noooooooo never again.

Tim

Morso squirrel every time. Very controlable, last for years speaking a s aliveaboard with umpteen years of using them and ocasionaly lesser stoves. Cheap enough considering how good they are. NEVER get a diesel stove I tried that once and ohhhhh noooooooo never again.

Tim

Why did you not like the diesel stove? What make/model was it?

Tim

I agree. Squirrel. We have replaced door glass, internal fire bricks, the riddle grate & back blanking plate lugs. All easy to do and inexpensive. We paint it when required and have scraped out the fire cement around the collar and replaced. Looks new.

We have had this fire for thirteen years and it wasn't new when we bought the boat all those years ago. (Actually twelve years, but I can't spell twelve.)

Worth the money in my view.

Martyn

Edit to add, yes,you can buy different colours of different makes, they all go black at sonetime.(nor can I spell sometime)

Edited by Nightwatch

... and can't decide on a bubble diesel stove or a multi fuel stove and which brand...

If you're attracted by the Bubble Diesel, then don't overlook Haworth Heating's range Bubble solid fuel stoves. I find my Bubble Corner 5kw multi-fuel to be excellent.

Thank you everybody for your answers I will look at all your suggestions and if anybody knows where to buy stoves that are reasonably priced please could you let me know as a multi fuel or diesel costs over a £1000 pound with the extra

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morso-1410-Squirrel-multi-fuel-stove-made-in-Denmark-/182316266869?hash=item2a72e57575:g:VjQAAOSwYIxX95jT

Refurbed.

Edit to add. Interesting comments he makes regarding the operation of the fire. So according to the add, I have been doing it wrong.

Edited by Nightwatch

Bought mine from this seller, very happy with it.

He refurbs them and ships over from europe to a fella down south who handles the ebay part, everything had been replaced and the body repainted.

Only issue was the size of the collar was 4 3/4" so had to buy a new one.

I made an offer of £400 and it was accepted.

3rd - ed for the Hobbit. It's heating a 57' all porthole narrowboat (centrally placed) very well. It's really really controllable and, from the small ash output, pretty efficient. Very little to go wrong (although i'd have spare glass and rope and adhesive around! ninja.gif ) It will happily stay in all night with a decent log and a few bits of coal.

Downsides are; bit messy to lug coal about and empty the ash. biggrin.png

Ash output is to do with your chosen fuel rather than your stove. Swap to Taybrite and spot the difference. ;)

I like my Boatman stove. A simple 4kw stove with not much on it that can go wrong. It's mainly steel so you don't hear stories of them cracking like Morso stoves. And they're much cheaper. But I think most people will swear by the type of stove they have installed. They all have their little foibles.

http://boatmanstove.co.uk/boatman-stove-new-colour-range

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Can you say why you think it was "utter crap" what was it that you didnt like about it?

Hi

It was very expensive and I paid lots more to have it correctly fitted in a brand new boat so no corner cutting. It looked the biz. It was utter crap in every way imaginable and did nothing that it said on the tin.

Tim