Buckby lock No 8

nigel carton

Featured Posts

Its a lock key. You can't get through a lock without one so its a key.

Its not a windlass, that has a barrel and other gubbins. You could call it a windlass handle but why bother, windlass is not a nice sounding word.

Bradshaw 1904 (which I happen to have to hand tongue.png ) states that a windlass, also known in some districts as a crank, is for opening and closing lock paddles, being L shaped with a square hole at one end to fit the spindle of the paddle

I think in Ireland they were known as Lock Keys on the Grand Canal, someone else will know better than me!

Another reason this needs to/will be fixed ASAP is the Leicester summit is fed not only from the Welford Resorvoir, but also back pumping up the Buckby flight/Watford flight. Last year this system was used to keep the Foxton-Leicester stretch in water as there was so little at Welford.

The lower gates of the damaged lock are so bad, they can empty this lock in a very short time, the upper gates are the only thing holding pumped up water in the pound for the top pumps to take to the Norton Junction level.

Leicester line is currently bout 3" down on normal after the weekends boats coming up to Crick.

Bradshaw 1904 (which I happen to have to hand tongue.png ) states that a windlass, also known in some districts as a crank, is for opening and closing lock paddles, being L shaped with a square hole at one end to fit the spindle of the paddle

I think in Ireland they were known as Lock Keys on the Grand Canal, someone else will know better than me!

and an Ouse key on the Great Ouse.

What about Naseby and Sulby Reservoirs?

what about them.

It is standard practice to back pump up Buckby to keep Norton level in water, and when Crick show is on, they always back pump up Watford flight to top up the pound, not rely on the reservoirs as this may be needed later in the Summer.

What about Naseby and Sulby Reservoirs?

May I suggest contacting Canal & River Trust (through their South East enquiries) and ask if you may attend one of Peter Gray's 'Water Lectures' - opened my eyes to how CRT manage their water especially in the area Matty40s mentions. Peter is passionate about the water that is supplied to the Braunston Summit area.

May I suggest contacting Canal & River Trust (through their South East enquiries) and ask if you may attend one of Peter Gray's 'Water Lectures' - opened my eyes to how CRT manage their water especially in the area Matty40s mentions. Peter is passionate about the water that is supplied to the Braunston Summit area.

I'd love to attend one of these lectures, I'm fascinated by this kind of thing.

You missed out "HSE risk assessment statement written, submitted, returned, amended, re-submitted, approved" !

RAMS = risk assessment and method statement.

Supported by COSHH assessments for canal water.

Edited by mark99

RAMS = risk assessment and method statement.

Supported by COSHH assessments for canal water.

You would hope that this sort of task is frequent enough (that is, removing, repairing and replacing a gate) that CRT would have off the peg paperwork ready to go, only needing the odd tweak for the local circs. Certainly that's how WRG do it for their repetitive tasks.

You would hope that this sort of task is frequent enough (that is, removing, repairing and replacing a gate) that CRT would have off the peg paperwork ready to go, only needing the odd tweak for the local circs. Certainly that's how WRG do it for their repetitive tasks.

If we use last weeks failure at lock 19 Lapworth as an example. Failure on Monday, site prepared fencing, tug placed in lock as a working platform on Tuesday, repair started Wednesday, and completed Thursday morning with the fencing and tug removed by lunch time Thursday. Friday wait for the mortar to start going off, lock open limited hours on Saturday and Sunday, fully open today. So I believe that CRT can move quickly.

Safety fence, stop planks , lifting equipment, pumps, a plan and then it can start

It looks to me as if all that is required is to remove the balance beam, lift the gate back in and then refit the balance beam. If so, there should be no need to drain the lock. Only if the gate doesn't drop straight back in should it be necessary to put in the planks.

It looks to me as if all that is required is to remove the balance beam, lift the gate back in and then refit the balance beam. If so, there should be no need to drain the lock. Only if the gate doesn't drop straight back in should it be necessary to put in the planks.

I agree, but its how they lift the gate, and will it drop into the cup. If they could refix the beam then it could be jacked up from there. I got stuck at Knowle once due to the pair in front lifting the top gate out or the cup, but that was the only damage, CRT lifted it back in in hours.

So how did it happen? I don't mean physically but logically.

Two boats, so guessing at least two people, probably more.

Why was the boat so far forward? Why did no-one notice in time? Or would something like, getting the bow of your boat jammed, filling the lock enough to lift the gate off its pivot, happen so fast that nothing could be done?

Could the boats have become wedged together, preventing the jammed boat from moving back?

Might the "offending" boat have the sort of helmsman who likes to hold the boat against the top-gate by leaving the boat in forward gear?

Any ideas?

So how did it happen? I don't mean physically but logically.

Two boats, so guessing at least two people, probably more.

Why was the boat so far forward? Why did no-one notice in time? Or would something like, getting the bow of your boat jammed, filling the lock enough to lift the gate off its pivot, happen so fast that nothing could be done?

Could the boats have become wedged together, preventing the jammed boat from moving back?

Might the "offending" boat have the sort of helmsman who likes to hold the boat against the top-gate by leaving the boat in forward gear?

Any ideas?

You don't need to be in forward gear to be held against the top gate of these locks. Unless your stern is positioned within a couple of feet of the lower gates, you will be pulled firm;y forwards to the top gate by the water entering via the ground paddles and no amount of reverse gear will hold the boat back. This doesn't necessarily apply on those locks which have gate paddles, provided you lift them fully and they are not blocked by debris in their stupid little grills, but this particular lock doesn't have gate paddles. Also of course it won't happen if you have a securely tied rope, but with two boats in the lock a rope is generally regarded as unnecessary.