Removing green algae on topside

steviebravo

Featured Posts

I've used "Lock Keepers Secret" in the past.

Expensive but reasonably effective.

You could try some patio cleaner, which should be cheaper and possibly more effective.

You'd need to check to make sure that the brand you use is safe for the waterways...

I use any "boat wash" in water and elbow grease. You may need a scrubbing brush on non-slip surfaces. "boat wash" because it should not harm the environment despite the International version saying it should not go into water courses. I have also used sugar soap to good effect but am not sure what it does to the paint finish.

If you wait a week or two, aldi do a very effective caravan and patio furniture cleaner for a couple of quid, may well be out for easter.

Is it safe to use near water?

Also what is effective for cleaning the crstch cover of verdigree?

matty40s, on 15 Mar 2016 - 11:07 AM, said:

If you wait a week or two, aldi do a very effective caravan and patio furniture cleaner for a couple of quid, may well be out for easter.

Yes. It is well regarded in caravanning circles.

Do you mind keeping it to yourself though its often hard enough to get hold of as it is....

Does anyone know of an effective solution to removing green mould from the topside of a boat?

Power washer?

Hi,

A power washer is tempting, but use with care or if you have any microscopic blistering on your paint you will find the top paint surface is blown off and numerous white dots appear, preparation and over-painting is then needed. this is particularly prevalent on on flat surfaces finished with 'Raddle Red'.

L.

I'm not sure if we really want patio cleaner and some of these other solutions in our waterways?

Often a boat will get green algae on its shady side if it's moored for long periods with no direct sunlight on that side. Turning the boat around occasionally can help to prevent it.

Does anyone know of an effective solution to removing green mould from the topside of a boat?

Does pure alcohol work?

Doesn't get rid of the mould, but it does stop you worryin g about it...

• Greenie 2

Aldi have the caravan items on sale from tomorrow:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/dates/Thursday-17th-March/c/2016-03-17/?sort=popular&q=%3Apopular%3AtransactionalStatus%3Atransactional%3AtransactionalStatus%3Anontransactional%3AlatestVersion%3Atrue%3AEvent%3ACaravan

Jays fluid is good at killing the alge, just brush it on leave over night and wash off.

Neil

But should we really be putting this stuff into the waterways?

Jeyes Fluid

Safety

1. Outdoor use only - do not use indoors.

2. Use away from pets, especially cats & fish.

3. If split wash area immediately with cold water.

4. Store in a warm place, protect from frost.

5. Formula may stain, soften plastics or discolour brick & paintwork.

6. Do not exceed recommended concentrations.

7. Avoid contact of product with plant life.

8. Use only as directed.

Danger

Contains: 4-chloro-m-cresol and Tar Acids.

Harmful if swallowed or in contact with skin.

Causes skin irritation.

May cause an allergic reaction.

Causes serious eye damage.

If medical advice is needed, have product container or label at hand.

Keep out of reach of children.

Read label before use.

Wear protective gloves/eye protection.

If in eyes: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.

Immediately call a Poison Centre or doctor/physician.

If Swallowed: Call a Poison Centre or doctor/physician if you feel unwell.

If on skin: Wash with plenty of soap and water.

If skin irritation or rash occurs: Get medical advice/attention.

Wash contaminated clothing before reuse.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=250401742

Edited by blackrose

But should we really be putting this stuff into the waterways?

Jeyes Fluid

Safety

1. Outdoor use only - do not use indoors.

2. Use away from pets, especially cats & fish.

3. If split wash area immediately with cold water.

4. Store in a warm place, protect from frost.

5. Formula may stain, soften plastics or discolour brick & paintwork.

6. Do not exceed recommended concentrations.

7. Avoid contact of product with plant life.

8. Use only as directed.Danger

Contains: 4-chloro-m-cresol and Tar Acids.

Harmful if swallowed or in contact with skin.

Causes skin irritation.

May cause an allergic reaction.

Causes serious eye damage.

If medical advice is needed, have product container or label at hand.

Keep out of reach of children.

Read label before use.

Wear protective gloves/eye protection.

If in eyes: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.

Immediately call a Poison Centre or doctor/physician.

If Swallowed: Call a Poison Centre or doctor/physician if you feel unwell.

If on skin: Wash with plenty of soap and water.

If skin irritation or rash occurs: Get medical advice/attention.

Wash contaminated clothing before reuse.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id

=250401742

Fair comment, did not think it was that evil, does a great job on the motorhome and the drive tho.

Neil

Water! Wait until a damp foggy day and the stuff goes soft enough that it will come off with a mop, elbow grease and plenty of water, whereas in hot dry weather it goes rock hard.

I'm not sure if the use of elbow grease is environmentally friendly, i.e. compatible with the environment of the canals and rivers.

I see many algae and vegetation-covered boats lying in (otherwise) idyllic rural locations that have clearly not had any elbow grease expended on them in years.

Clearly the environment in the area has not been degraded apart from the domestic junk that accumulates on the immediately adjacent river/canal bank but which may not be directly related to a lack of elbow grease.

PS: I agree, I took a scrubbing brush to my green and mouldy yogurt pot the other day and it now looks as good as new. Even duck poo on teak decking was easily scrubbed away.

I was ay one time a marine valet, had to bring floating GRP gin palaces back to show room condition.

Starbrite boat-wash-in-a-bottle will do the job. Damp down the surface to br cleaned and then using some sort of spray bottle mist over the work are, allow to soak a bit then scrub and hose off. This method works for all canopies cratch civets etc.

For areas such as cabin tops that are painted and sanded use Starbrite Foaming Deck Cleaner, follow the instructions on the bottle.

These chemicals are safe to use quick and effective.

Always makes me smile when I see people laying out canopies etc on the ground and scrubbing them so much hard work!

Just wet the canopy, spray with Boat wash, soak for a fee minutes, scrub, hose off and watch the green wash away.

I used and still have a hard bristled extending broom to scrub with.

As for pressure washer well we never ever used one. Causes to much damage

Phil