Removing green algae on topside

steviebravo

Featured Posts

Plain old water, scrubbing brush and lots of elbow grease will do it.........I am not sure some of these chemicals mentioned are all that effective anyway.

Well I know that the ones I mentioned do work, couldn't spend hours on a boat, made a very comfortable living out of cleaning boats and use of those chemicals made my boss quite wealthy.

Phil

Buy an old fashioned string head mop. Buy an old fashioned galvanised mop bucket. Fill bucket with water from the Cut.

Wet the mop in the bucket. Rub the boat with the mop, every so often you will need to rinse the mop in the bucket.

When the water is dirtier than the canal throw it back in the canal and get some more. Continue until boat is cleaner than it was.

Canal water contains very fine silt, this is very mildy abrasive...

• Greenie 1

Patio Magic

IS that safe to go into watercourses? I guess it often ends up there when used on patios any? Not sure.

All of the above sounds a lot of work given we just use a soft cotton mop, once damp, it comes of with plain canal water in my experience.

Daniel

IS that safe to go into watercourses? I guess it often ends up there when used on patios any? Not sure.All of the above sounds a lot of work given we just use a soft cotton mop, once damp, it comes of with plain canal water in my experience.Daniel

I doubt that a mop and water would clean a green canopy or cratch cover, nor a dirty roof which had non-slip grit or whatever mixed into it.

Phil

We do not have non-slip paint, which I expect isnt as easy, depending on the nature of the paint.

And the vinyl curtain we have around the back deck, wipes clean well if I am honest, although again I expect canvas is harder to clean then pvc.

Daniel

We do not have non-slip paint, which I expect isnt as easy, depending on the nature of the paint.

And the vinyl curtain we have around the back deck, wipes clean well if I am honest, although again I expect canvas is harder to clean then pvc.

Daniel

Perfectly correct Dan, green on gloss paint is easy to shift, likewise vinyl, the issue is with canvas type canopy materials which by there very nature tend to hold on to algae and grime.

Phil

I was ay one time a marine valet, had to bring floating GRP gin palaces back to show room condition.

Starbrite boat-wash-in-a-bottle will do the job. Damp down the surface to br cleaned and then using some sort of spray bottle mist over the work are, allow to soak a bit then scrub and hose off. This method works for all canopies cratch civets etc.

For areas such as cabin tops that are painted and sanded use Starbrite Foaming Deck Cleaner, follow the instructions on the bottle.

These chemicals are safe to use quick and effective.

Always makes me smile when I see people laying out canopies etc on the ground and scrubbing them so much hard work!

Just wet the canopy, spray with Boat wash, soak for a fee minutes, scrub, hose off and watch the green wash away.

I used and still have a hard bristled extending broom to scrub with.

As for pressure washer well we never ever used one. Causes to much damage

Phil

Phil

Do you know if the Starbrite Foaming Deck cleaner, is safe to use on painted surfaces, that will be repainted, as soon as dry?

I have a sanded roof that is peeling, and covered in green alge, the idea is to power wash (carefully) the loose flaking paint away, treat any remaining alge, and repaint.

Bod

Phil

Do you know if the Starbrite Foaming Deck cleaner, is safe to use on painted surfaces, that will be repainted, as soon as dry?

I have a sanded roof that is peeling, and covered in green alge, the idea is to power wash (carefully) the loose flaking paint away, treat any remaining alge, and repaint.

Bod

Having used it on my own boat prior to painting the decks I can say that I never found any problems.

Phil

Does anyone know of an effective solution to removing green mould from the topside of a boat?

Power washer?

I'll second that, we had a cheap one and it worked perfectly to remove the green stuff.

Bob

PS we had a non slip roof.

edit for PS

Edited by Hawkmoth