Genny thief Rugby

Neil Walker

Featured Posts

Nothing to apologise for Neil, this forum is well known (sadly) for being populated by the kind of sad t''ts that any decent individual would roll their eyes at and move down the bar a bit to get away from.

Somebody does the right thing by giving advice or a heads up and they come out of the woodwork.

Greenie

Nothing to apologise for Neil, this forum is well known (sadly) for being populated by the kind of sad t###s that any decent individual would roll their eyes at and move down the bar a bit to get away from.

Somebody does the right thing by giving advice or a heads up and they come out of the woodwork.

Take a green one. You said it better than I could.

Bob

Edited by DHutch

I've regularly moored in Brownsover, both sides of the cut and stayed overnight. Only problem I've ever had is a pin being pulled out by a passing boat but as I was at Tesco somebody kindly pulled the boat in and did the best to secure us.

In previous threads about genny's it's been argued that they should be on the towpath, well away from the boat while running, to avoid getting fumes into the boat. How does that square up with keeping them chained up when running? I've never seen a genny running on the towpath, away from the boat, with a long chain securing it.

In previous threads about genny's it's been argued that they should be on the towpath, well away from the boat while running, to avoid getting fumes into the boat. How does that square up with keeping them chained up when running? I've never seen a genny running on the towpath, away from the boat, with a long chain securing it.

Probably because it would be a really stupid thing to do.

The genny can be positioned on board a boat to sufficiently disperse the fumes.

........ another Pork Pie Rabbi?

I do like pork pies but I am not Jewish let alone a Rabbi so I am not sure what you mean.

I do realise there are a number of you who see t*** as an innocuous word however in the circles I mix with and live among it means the same and ranks alongside the C word. I sincerely trust you wouldn't countenance using that word on the forum.

However I will take your point and not issue any nudges in future I will go straight to report.

In previous threads about genny's it's been argued that they should be on the towpath, well away from the boat while running, to avoid getting fumes into the boat. How does that square up with keeping them chained up when running?

Chaining it to piling a short distance from the boat makes sense to me, or a convenient mooring ring if present.

But you'd have to be careful that by moving it away from your boat you don't stock it next to somebody elses boat/window/hatch whatever.

I run my genny on the towpath. To secure it I use one of these http://www.spyrabase.co.uk/product_info.php?ID=9973 screwed into the ground and one of these to secure it to the genny. http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-lights-locks/bike-locks/master-lock-integrated-chain-lock-1000mm

Ken

Perhaps they moor there because they have never heard of Brownsover and don't know of its reputation. I have often moored in Rugby, though never overnight, and it has never struck me as being a place teeming with villains and ragged persons. We usually stop as near to the footpath which leads down to Tesco (bridge 58?) as we can.

Well if you look at the number of boats that moor for quite some time both near the toilet block, on the tow path opposite and even near the aqueduct they cant find it to bad. People say Birmingham is safe but I have a friend who had their boat broken into there mid afternoon.

No where is 100% safe

I run my genny on the towpath. To secure it I use one of these http://www.spyrabase.co.uk/product_info.php?ID=9973 screwed into the ground and one of these to secure it to the genny. http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-lights-locks/bike-locks/master-lock-integrated-chain-lock-1000mm

Ken

Am I missing something? It looks to me as if all a thief has to do is quietly unscrew the spyrabase from the ground then unplug and run.

Theft prevention has two levels, to stop the opportunist and/or the planner.

First one is possible, second one almost impossible.

Sorry to say in this case neither were applied.

As for Brownsover, moored there many times and even left the boat for days, no problems.

I think I realise where this location is. We have moored there quite a few times over the last twelve years, even before the building of the new houses just off the tow path and alongside the path to tescos. Never had a problem.

I was followed once from Tesco to the canal by two dodgy looking lads. I did a stock check of what I had on me, phone,wallet etc. Anyway no problem. But it does tighten certain muscles.

Ah, the good old days of uk.rec.waterways!

It is still there, but sadly depleted of membership

I came here in 2008 because uk.rec.waterways had been taken over by spam and trolls. I just took a look, and there seems to be some moderation now, but very few posts. But I see Canaldrifter (Tony Haynes) is still posting.

Am I missing something? It looks to me as if all a thief has to do is quietly unscrew the spyrabase from the ground then unplug and run.

Yes, but it's quite difficult in practice as the bike chain winds itself up, making it even more difficult. You end up having to turn the complete set-up, genny included, to unscrew it. Also they would need to be carrying some sort of tool to unwind it. Like any security device, it's only a deterrent to an opportunist. If I am moored next to Armco the genny can be chained through that instead.

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana

Yes, but it's quite difficult in practice as the bike chain winds itself up, making it even more difficult. You end up having to turn the complete set-up, genny included, to unscrew it. Also they would need to be carrying some sort of tool to unwind it. Like any security device, it's only a deterrent to an opportunist. If I am moored next to Armco the genny can be chained through that instead.

Ken

Ah so not as easy as it looks.

Be careful when chaining a suitcase type generator up through the handle, the handles themselves are often only plastic inside, and can be quickly and easily cut with a battery powered hot wire cutter.

Or more simply, a junior hacksaw.