New instructions to hire boaters ?

Top cat

Featured Posts

On our recent trip on the Oxford canal there were three occasions when three different hire boats stopped ( or tried to) when they saw an approaching boat. One was passing moored boats at speed then seeing us coming the other way did a crash stop, lost it and slewed across the cut hitting a moored boat. Seeing two others do something similar within a few days makes me wonder if someone has been giving "helpful" instructions at hire bases lately.

T C

We noticed this too. We met several hire boats that stopped and then more or less lost control over the boat.

Last October, when we were on the Trent & Mersey, one boat coming the other way saw us, stopped and then moved over so far to the off-side that it became well and truly stuck.

The people on board said they thought our (narrow-) boat was wider than it was, and that they were instructed to stop if in doubt.

Helen

What happens around here, is they see another boat coming and are usually going at a fair wack. So they panic, ram the boat into reverse which makes the front swing round and usually end up in either the trees or another boat. It comes as quite a surprise when you suggest they may like to power off first.

A few months ago, we saw a hire boat on the Oxford summit which stopped and sent crew ashore with bow and stern lines whenever a boat approached from the opposite direction. Progress was slow.

Came up behind one of these on the Shroppie this summer. They looked most surprised when I carried on past them between their effectively moored-up boat and the one coming the other way. Plenty of room for everybody.

A few months ago, we saw a hire boat on the Oxford summit which stopped and sent crew ashore with bow and stern lines whenever a boat approached from the opposite direction. Progress was slow.

The Oxford summit reminds me off a couple of summers ago, on one of the many tight bends a hire boat coming the other way at a fair lick realised the corner was tight and he was going too fast so he pulled the power off.

You can guess what happened next........ the boat almost ended up in the field on the offside. Luckily I had seem him coming and was holding back.

I can remember doing that when I first hired and going to fast round a bend and running aground, getting shouted at for going to fast passed moored boats, wacking the paddles up on locks thinking I was helping. I know better today, but we all start somewhere

• Greenie 1

Even worse when boats of all percussions do it in a tunnel, loose control and slew across to the oncoming boat.

Looks as if autocorrect is inadvertently giving the correct interpretation!

I run a day boat myself. This is a difficult subject. I train them as follows:

When a boat approaches travelling in the opposite direction move slightly to the right of the canal, but do not allow them to force you into the side. Reduce speed to tick over revs as you got closer to the approaching boat. Try to maintain a good (spreads arms widely apart) clearance both the approaching boat, and the canal bank, if the canal is wide enough for this. If the canal is too narrow to allow this clearance reduce speed well in advance of passing the approaching boat by engaging a little reverse, then into forward and 'crawl' through the smaller gap. If all else fails and you think you're going to hit something hard engage full reverse. Phoenix has a 42hp engine, unrestricted in reverse, it stops very quickly.

All the above is practised, either for real or with an 'imaginary' boat, before I leave them to it.

That's the best I can do really, but always open on ideas how to instruct them better.

I don't understand why people find it so difficult. I seem to recall my first hire boat experience in the '70s was quite straightforward. A couple of puzzled looks at the first lock, but then common sense tells you what to do. After all, you can borrow one with NO training! Can't be that hard can it?

Now a HELICOPTER, I could understand, needs a bit of training before hire!

About 7 or 8 years ago I hired a boat on the Kennet & Avon over Xmas week, It was 55ft x 10ft.

This was my first experience of boating.

The tuition consisted of a brief explanation of the interior i.e. toilet, galley etc, and a brief explanation of the mechanics of the boat i.e stern gland greaser, bilge pump, weed hatch etc.

This done we were off for the cruising tuition.

We cast off and just as we were about to get underway another boat passed us, the lady hiring the boat said "this was handy as it would pull out bow out into the center of the channel". So as our bow came away from shore I engaged forward drive, let the boat pull away a little and then steered back into the center.

we cruised for about 1/4 of a mile with a bit of instruction on how to constantly center the boat in the channel when the instructor said "I could pull up next the next moored boat and let her off". I asked "Is that it then"? She replied, "I think you've got the hang of it, when we set off you steered back in, most people don't"

to me it was obvious, the mechanics of how a boat works are not complicated, but it does worry me that people who cannot even grasp a simple concept like "you actually have to steer the boat" are allowed to hire one.

But then the older I get I constantly wonder how human beings ever managed to climb out of the stone age.

I run a day boat myself. This is a difficult subject. I train them as follows:

When a boat approaches travelling in the opposite direction move slightly to the right of the canal, but do not allow them to force you into the side. Reduce speed to tick over revs as you got closer to the approaching boat. Try to maintain a good (spreads arms widely apart) clearance both the approaching boat, and the canal bank, if the canal is wide enough for this. If the canal is too narrow to allow this clearance reduce speed well in advance of passing the approaching boat by engaging a little reverse, then into forward and 'crawl' through the smaller gap. If all else fails and you think you're going to hit something hard engage full reverse. Phoenix has a 42hp engine, unrestricted in reverse, it stops very quickly.

I wouldn't do all of that. You don't need a 6 ft clearance between boats. I pass with less than a foot when I believe that the other guy knows what he is doing. For your hirers 3 ft or so of clearance to the other boat should be fine' providing you keep on at least half revs and steer round the other boat.

Don't slow down to tickover and don't reverse. At tickover you will lose all steering and get sucked into the other boat. Reverse will probably put you diagonally across the cut so the other guy has virtually no chance of avoiding a collision.

In May we hired a cruiser from Caley Cruisers on the Caledonean Canal. Before you were allowed on the boat you had to sit in a room and watch a half hour instructional video followed by a Q&A session. I think all hire companies should do this.

It was only after this that we were shown around the boat and then allowed to leave the marina.