Really strange?

frahkn

Featured Posts

Moored in the rain at Hawkesbury yesterday I was sorting out the memory card in my camera and taking a few snaps to test the result.

I snapped one of a passing boat which I thought was mooring nearby. It wasn't mooring, it just stopped for a moment so that the steerer could come back, in the rain, to ask me why I had taken the photo.

He was perfectly pleasant about it and seemed happy when I said it had nothing to do with either his, or the boat's merits.

So, why stop and ask?

Of course he may have been someone famous - I wouldn't know anyone except cricketers and 60's rock stars.

(Sorry if this coms out strangely, there seems to be something wrong with my version of the site at the moment).

Frank.

I am always quite surprised how many people ask permission to take a photo of my boat.

We moored next to a "well known" TV personality on the cut recently, he came up to us and engaged us in conversation. After a while he said "you do realise who I am don't you". I don't watch telly so didn't have a clue who he was. I think he would have been really pleased if we had taken his photo!

Once took a photo of a boat on the K&A and the owner looked scared and covered his face. He didn't look like an aborigine so I reckon he was a criminal. Did once take a photo of an aborigine and felt very guilty when he hid!

............Dave

We moored next to a "well known" TV personality on the cut recently, he came up to us and engaged us in conversation. After a while he said "you do realise who I am don't you". I don't watch telly so didn't have a clue who he was. I think he would have been really pleased if we had taken his photo!

Same as that. I imagine that 99% of "celebrities" would go totally unrecognised by me.

Out of interest, who was it?

Talking about 'celebrities', the other night I was in the pub at Barlaston, which has been renamed 'The Plume of Feathers with Neil Morrisey'. It was plastered with pictures of and info about him.

I had vaguely heard of him, but perhaps confusing with Morrissey the singer. And no, I wouldn't recognise either of them.

Same as that. I imagine that 99% of "celebrities" would go totally unrecognised by me.

Out of interest, who was it?

Dunno, he told me his name and it still meant nuffin' to me. He said he is heavily involved in making canal related programs and we have downloaded a couple of these but I am the sort of person who watches the "content" rather than the celebrities, and I certainly don't read the credits. I think he was responsible for that rather lovely silent K&A film recently.

............Dave

Talking about 'celebrities', the other night I was in the pub at Barlaston, which has been renamed 'The Plume of Feathers with Neil Morrisey'. It was plastered with pictures of and info about him.

I had vaguely heard of him, but perhaps confusing with Morrissey the singer. And no, I wouldn't recognise either of them.

Well he does own the Plume of Feathers so I reckon he's entitled to be there. He serves behind the bar sometimes. I'll always remember him for 'Rocky' in the Boon tv series with the late Michael Elphick.

Edited by Flyboy

Strewth if I stopped and asked everyone why they've pointed a camera my way I'd never get anywhere.

Same here.

I once took a picture of a nice old wooden NB on the Shroppie when a head popped out of the canvas and told me to f&*k off. I have been a bit more careful since.

had a nice meal in there

Same here.

I once took a picture of a nice old wooden NB on the Shroppie when a head popped out of the canvas and told me to f&*k off. I have been a bit more careful since.

I'm guessing it was the same one who told me to do the same when I boated past on Usk and hailed a fellow wooden boat owner.

Well he does own the Plume of Feathers so I reckon he's entitled to be there. He serves behind the bar sometimes. I'll always remember him for 'Rocky' in the Boon tv series with the late Michael Elphick.

Yes, but it's just an ego trip, isn't it? But I suppose we should be grateful he kept the pub open.

Why should it be just an ego trip actors aren't continually in work and need some form of income. When was he last in a long running series/production?

I have no idea, since I have only vaguely heard of him. If buying a pub and changing its name to include yours and plastering it with your picture and CV isn't an ego trip, I don't know what is. One of the images on an ever-changing screen informed us that he was at present filming episodes of 'Grantchester' with Robson Green, if that is of any interest.

I did say that we should be grateful that he kept the pub open and it has in fact improved. But his omnipresence (even in his absence) did grate a bit.

Edited to remove a 'c' which also grated!

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

We had dinner with the gentleman above, his family and a certain Leslie Phillips. Was a restaurant opening hosted by Henry Dimbleby, son of David. They are a lovely family. Mr Phillips , also lovely made my wife's night when he patted her stern. Wonderful chap .

Am surprised, the last time he went into the pub business it bankrupted him.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-1679417/Neil-Morrissey-25m-debt-after-property-firm-fails.html

Tim