London

tommytelford

Featured Posts

I have just had one of the worst experiences on the waterways last weekend. We are moving our from Roydon on the river Stort back to Mercia Marina on the T & M.

This has, of course necessitated travelling through London. All was well until Actons Lock where there is a cocktail pontoon moored just below the lock, it was virtually impossible to moor before the lock due to moored boats, some had been moored and there was nobody aboard but one narrowboat was actually tied up to the lock bollards with probably 25 people sitting on the top of the boat, so there was no chance of them moving. We and 6 other boats were forced to drift around for over an hour whilst waiting to get through the lock.

On Sunday morning we left St Pancras at 7.30am ready to attack the Camden locks and arrived at the lower lock just before 8. What awaited us made me feel ashamed to be British. Around all the locks were dozens of bottles cans and God knows what other detritus. The whole area smelt like a public toilet and there were probably 30 youngster sitting on the towpath having I guess been there all night, surrounded by dozens of bottles and cans. To top this there were 2 couples having sex on the towpath in full view of their friends and whoever else was passing by.

This area is a major foreign tourist venue and people were already arriving as the various food places were opening. I cannot think what impression people will take back to there various homes.

Apart from all this it is obvious that CRT have completely lost the plot with regards to the mooring problem in the area with boats moored up to 4 abreast and every mooring unavailable, also the green weed seems to be covering most of the water surface.

Thank goodness this will probably be the last time I will travel through London as the whole canal system through the captital is a disgrace

• Greenie 3

ohmy.png

Sunday morning really has to be the worst time to go through Camden! (apart from after about 9pm on a Saturday night of course!) For the rest i'm afraid i couldn't comment as i've pretty much given up my towpath walks in E London due to the crazy speeding cyclists... (about 20-30 in a half-mile stretch!)

All was well until Actons Lock where there is a cocktail pontoon moored just below the lock, it was virtually impossible to moor before the lock due to moored boats, some had been moored and there was nobody aboard but one narrowboat was actually tied up to the lock bollards with probably 25 people sitting on the top of the boat, so there was no chance of them moving. We and 6 other boats were forced to drift around for over an hour whilst waiting to get through the lock.

If there's a boat tied up on the lock mooring, then just breast up to it and climb across.

I have just had one of the worst experiences on the waterways last weekend. We are moving our from Roydon on the river Stort back to Mercia Marina on the T & M.

This has, of course necessitated travelling through London. All was well until Actons Lock where there is a cocktail pontoon moored just below the lock, it was virtually impossible to moor before the lock due to moored boats, some had been moored and there was nobody aboard but one narrowboat was actually tied up to the lock bollards with probably 25 people sitting on the top of the boat, so there was no chance of them moving. We and 6 other boats were forced to drift around for over an hour whilst waiting to get through the lock.

On Sunday morning we left St Pancras at 7.30am ready to attack the Camden locks and arrived at the lower lock just before 8. What awaited us made me feel ashamed to be British. Around all the locks were dozens of bottles cans and God knows what other detritus. The whole area smelt like a public toilet and there were probably 30 youngster sitting on the towpath having I guess been there all night, surrounded by dozens of bottles and cans. To top this there were 2 couples having sex on the towpath in full view of their friends and whoever else was passing by.

This area is a major foreign tourist venue and people were already arriving as the various food places were opening. I cannot think what impression people will take back to there various homes.

Apart from all this it is obvious that CRT have completely lost the plot with regards to the mooring problem in the area with boats moored up to 4 abreast and every mooring unavailable, also the green weed seems to be covering most of the water surface.

Thank goodness this will probably be the last time I will travel through London as the whole canal system through the captital is a disgrace

Not sure how you can blame CRT. What should they be doing about these revellers and exhibitionists?

London party's on Saturday night, though I respect the fact that your probably past that stage of your life.

The answer is don't go through London at weekends, I know I wouldn't.

I have been through London many times at weekends and thoroughly enjoy it. In fact i enjoy any opportunities to boat through London.

Agreed.

Love boating through at any time, far nicer and safer than walking the towpaths!biggrin.png

It seems that I am always going through Camden at the weekends.

I treat it as a bit of fun and the chance to have the crack with the can swiggers, who generally are a happy bunch of all sorts, with no malice to them!

Though it would be nice to stop for an hour or two at the visitors moorings sometime instead of motoring past the line of Pallet carrying boats that never seem to move! icecream.gif

Nipper

Hopefully as a result of your complaint to CRT (you have complained to them aswell haven't you, not just on here?) they will put up some 'No Heavy Petting' signs around the locks.

they were only at second base last time we encounteredsuch behaviour. I feel cheated!

It seems that I am always going through Camden at the weekends.

I treat it as a bit of fun and the chance to have the crack with the can swiggers, who generally are a happy bunch of all sorts, with no malice to them!

Last time i locked through there i nicked a spliff off of one of the stoners.... (no inhaling m'lud ninja.gif) for the sheer hell of it!

Perhaps it should be renamed Condom, closedeyes.gif

Bit of wishful thinking there methinks!

Last time i locked through there i nicked a spliff off of one of the stoners.... (no inhaling m'ludninja.gif ) for the sheer hell of it!

Bit of wishful thinking there methinks!

Twinned with the town of the same name in France.

I keep a set of cards with numbers on so that I can give the off-piste performers the benefit of my expert assessment in the fashion of the ice-skating judges as my boat passes. The last pair I saw scored 5.4 for artistic impression but only 4.8 for technical merit. I suppose I should move with the times and video them so that the assessment could be done by the wider Internet community...