Running engine after 8pm

GUMPY

Featured Posts

I can't believe people saying run your engine when you want.Do they only care about themselves ? Rules are there for a reason- people being relaxed/content etc.Sat on Gloucester& Sharpness on an idyllic mooring,nice guy in front ran his (quiet) genny for a while then turned it off at 8. We are now sitting in peace outside while he fishes & we read,perfick.

Edited by The Bearwood Boster
  • Greenie 1

I've only ever asked two people to switch their engines off... both times receiving a stream of abuse - the first was actually on my home mooring and I asked politely at 11pm as he was filling my boat with diesel fumes, and the other was the prat at Stone who started running his at midnight, then left his boat to go and park his car, came back half an hour later. Again, I was reasonably polite... he carried on running the engine till 2am. I don't bother any more...

I can't believe people saying run your engine when you want.Do they only care about themselves ? Rules are there for a reason- people being relaxed/content etc.Sat on Gloucester& Sharpness on an idyllic mooring,nice guy in front ran his (quiet) genny for a while then turned it off at 8. We are now sitting in peace outside while he fishes & we read,perfick.

Sounds ideal I am on my way :)

Right, so at 18:45 (ish) a boater moors opposite and starts their engine for a power up. You get jumpy because he may, or may not run it passed 20:00 and ask advice on the Internet.

During the time before the guy has to turn of his engine you have been offered various advice, ranging from ignore it to talk to him.

Bloke then turns engine off and you decide that he probably would have told you to F off if you had spoken to him.

I get the feeling that this guy can't win what ever he does.

That has to be the shortest engine run in history.....

Just gone off.

Panic over

Oh and as for going to talk to him I wont, just in case he takes offence when asked politely to do something like turn their engine off. Usually with the phrase who the f are you and why don't you mind your f-ing business.

I think I experienced the shortest ever on the Ouse when the engine started about 6am and ran for maybe 5 minutes at the most, just enough to wake me up, two mornings running.

Right, so at 18:45 (ish) a boater moors opposite and starts their engine for a power up. You get jumpy because he may, or may not run it passed 20:00 and ask advice on the Internet.

During the time before the guy has to turn of his engine you have been offered various advice, ranging from ignore it to talk to him.

Bloke then turns engine off and you decide that he probably would have told you to F off if you had spoken to him.

I get the feeling that this guy can't win what ever he does.

19.45ish. (just sayin) lol

I can't believe people saying run your engine when you want.Do they only care about themselves ?

The people enforcing their hours on others are the ones only thinking of themselves. Not everyone lives a 9-5 life . Do I get to tell my neighbour to turn off his engine when he starts it at 9:30 am when I am still in bed? Of course not,, that would be only caring about myself. If you can't sleep with an engine running nearby, deal with it.

Edited by Delta9

I think I experienced the shortest ever on the Ouse when the engine started about 6am and ran for maybe 5 minutes at the most, just enough to wake me up, two mornings running.

Sounds like microwaved porridge....... or summat similar!

The people enforcing their hours on others are the ones only thinking of themselves. Not everyone lives a 9-5 life . Do I get to tell my neighbour to turn off his engine when he starts it at 9:30 am when I am still in bed? Of course not,, that would be only caring about myself. If you can't sleep with an engine running nearby, deal with it.[/quote

If you can't abide by the rules,then maybe you need to bomb off & find a nice solitary spot where no-one annoys you & you don't annoy anyone else.If you are unable to follow rules then maybe you just like being awkward.

40 years ago I was sleeping on the guest bed at the back of my mates nb. We were moored in the middle of nowhere when a hire boat came along at 10.30pm and moored right on our back end. After about half an hour the engine was still running at well above tick over. I was now wide awake and every minute seemed like 30.

I put up with it until midnight and then popped next door. I quite firmly knocked on the cabin side in order to get over the volume of the TV, suddenly the back door literally burst open and a bottle of beer speedily emerged at arm's length quickly followed by a man who was not only unaccustomed to mounting stairs in order to exit a door but was even less practiced at ducking from slide hatches that reduced head room suitable for people with a stature nearing three and a half feet.

His leading foot tripped on the top step at the same time his head collided with the bolted hatch. I watched with interest as he crumpled to a halt and then adopted a praying position on the back deck.

Staring at me in a demented manner he took a deep breath and calmly screamed at me ......

"Wha .... wo ... s'my engine! N'stayin on all night 'cos got battery flats twice now n' boat yard'll charge me next time.... so F*** off!" I surmised from that he'd anticipated the reason for my neighbourly sojourn to his blood stained rear deck.

I told him I cared not a jot for his "battery flats" nor whether he turned it off or not, however if he insisted on running it all night I would merely return in a few hours time to ensure he got his money's worth from the fuel by untying his ropes and putting it into gear. This in turn would ensure he ended up somewhere likely to be devoid of others which perhaps is what he should have done in the first place.

He swayed on his knees and with screwed up eyes gave an impression of someone struggling with logic. Meanwhile a a female voice coo'ed to him from inside "Leave it Wayne, he's not wurf it"

As I turned away I complimented him on the half Pike and twist upon his arrival and all without spilling any beer.

He smiled at me in a simpering manner, and as the blood ran down his cheek he advised me I was alright really and with that he turned the engine off.

If you can't abide by the rules,then maybe you need to bomb off & find a nice solitary spot where no-one annoys you & you don't annoy anyone else.If you are unable to follow rules then maybe you just like being awkward.

I do abide by the rules, I have a home mooring so I'm plugged in most of the time and have no need to run my engine for electrical generation. I think the rules are daft though, I would have no problem with a nearby boater running their engine at any time of day or night, and don't see why people should stick to rules that favour people who live by an arbitrary set of hours.

The people enforcing their hours on others are the ones only thinking of themselves. Not everyone lives a 9-5 life . Do I get to tell my neighbour to turn off his engine when he starts it at 9:30 am when I am still in bed? Of course not,, that would be only caring about myself. If you can't sleep with an engine running nearby, deal with it.

Everybody keeps different hours, which means that if there were no rules, everybody would run as suited them, and we would have the peace disturbed all the time.

There has to be a set of rules, such that some people don't run engines at all hours, and conversely others don't demand them turned off ridiculously early.

Yes people don't have 9-5 lives. I get up at 5:30 each morning. Perhaps I should put the engine on then? Perhaps I should demand engines off by 6pm.

No, I accept that other people keep different hours. I can't make excessive noise when I get up, and I can't demand everybody else tiptoes around in the evening.

It is those who won't follow the rule who think only of themselves

• Greenie 3

Everybody keeps different hours, which means that if there were no rules, everybody would run as suited them, and we would have the peace disturbed all the time.

I would hardly describe an engine on tickover as disturbing the peace. Let everyone run them whenever it suits them

There has to be a set of rules, such that some people don't run engines at all hours, and conversely others don't demand them turned off ridiculously early.

8pm is ridiculously early to force people to turn off their engines.

Yes people don't have 9-5 lives. I get up at 5:30 each morning. Perhaps I should put the engine on then? Perhaps I should demand engines off by 6pm.

No, I accept that other people keep different hours. I can't make excessive noise when I get up, and I can't demand everybody else tiptoes around in the evening.

So why demand everyone turns off their engine in the evening?

It is those who won't follow the rule who think only of themselves

It is those that try to rule over others and impose their lifestyle/living hours upon others that only think of themselves.

Well indeed tempting but given that when they got back they were alcohol fuelled so rather drunk and noisy I did not want to escalate a difficult situation.

Whilst out and about years ago something similar happened to us, it didnt bother me but clearly pxxxxd off the boat next to him as while they were at the pub they towed him away and left it moored miles away engine still running. Of course we then had the police etc when the pubs closed and drunk gits discovered their boat gone clapping.gif We passed it the next day still running tied to a tree foned it in the police so funny not suggesting you do this.................................but it did get rid of the problem

Peter

I would hardly describe an engine on tickover as disturbing the peace. Let everyone run them whenever it suits them

8pm is ridiculously early to force people to turn off their engines.

So why demand everyone turns off their engine in the evening?

It is those that try to rule over others and impose their lifestyle/living hours upon others that only think of themselves.

So, because an engine doesn't disturb YOU nobody else is allowed a different view?

Many people find the constant drone on an engine all evening very disturbing, but "i'm all right Jack" says we shouldn't.

Allowing engine running from (say) 6am to 10pm would suit those who keep conventional hours but not those who aren't 9-5 because they will be disturbed even more.

To be honest, your attitude is exactly why people take to forums about this. Those who won't obey the rules aren't doing so because they don't know, but because they are the kind of self centred idiots who ignore rules that they don't like.

Such people are not known for being well disposed to people reminding them of the rules.

• Greenie 3

To be honest, your attitude is exactly why people take to forums about this. Those who won't obey the rules aren't doing so because they don't know, but because they are the kind of self centred idiots who ignore rules that they don't like.

Such people are not known for being well disposed to people reminding them of the rules.

And they get exactly one polite friendly request to not be arses.

Then I be an arse too. A 6ft arse with a sledgehammer.

But I learn fast, and cast em off in gear is genius. And I'll do exactly that next time.

Edited by TheBiscuits

Yet you think it is fine to impose your daft rules on others.

Yet you think it is fine to impose your daft rules on others.

Please can you post on here when you leave your mooring & keep your location updated so the rest of us won't have the misfortune to moor anywhere near you.

Many thanks

Gareth

• Greenie 2