Where are all the volockies...?

Rob-M

Featured Posts

So having boated from Saul Junction to Braunston via the Droitwich, Worcester Birmingham, Stratford and Grand Union we haven't seen a single volunteer lock keeper. I thought all the big flights had them on now but none at Tardebigge, Lapworth, Hatton or Stockton as we came through.

We went up the Hanwell/Norwood Flight a couple of days ago and on the last lock out of 8 there were three of them. Would have been nice if they had tried looking past the last lock!

I don't get the point of the Cowley Lockie. End/Start of a massive lock free pound and you have a volie. Explain.

Edited by mark99

There were two very helpful Voluntary lock keepers at Hilmorten the week before last, and another equally helpful pair at Atherstone, but after that all the way up the Staffs and Worcester and Shropshire, where they would have been useful, there were none at all.

We have seen them on the Watford flight, Hillmorton, Middlewich, a couple when we went up the Wigan flight, one on the Bingley three rise, and on another 3 rise on the L&L but can't remember which one, Two in Middlewich on Wednesday, one on the Middlewich arm on Thursday, in the last 8 weeks so they are out there.

Maybe CRT need to position them at the first lock hirers will encounter after leaving the hire base. At the Hawkesbury lock a few weeks ago (an isolated single lock with only a one foot rise where the North Oxford joins the Coventry, for those who don't know the area), we met a couple who'd started out from Rugby some while before, for whom this was their first lock. So I just explained basic lock operation to the lady, who had a windlass but little idea what to do with it. They'd either had no instruction, or had forgotten it in the intervening time doing a long lock-free stretch.

I wouldn't say no to a volunteer doing a lock for me, but I can't see any reason why CRT would invest time and effort in it, what is the point ? If they were painting stuff or cutting hedges I would see a good job being done, but I've never wanted CRT to do my locks for me. I can't think of a worse waste of volunteer man hours.

I wouldn't say no to a volunteer doing a lock for me, but I can't see any reason why CRT would invest time and effort in it, what is the point ? If they were painting stuff or cutting hedges I would see a good job being done, but I've never wanted CRT to do my locks for me. I can't think of a worse waste of volunteer man hours.

The cynic in me says its so that CRT can boast about how much volunteer involvement they have - and let's face it, there will be more volunteers prepared to work locks, than to litter pick etc.

Plus, to be fair, at the honeypot sites they are also there to field gongoozlers and introduce them to the ways of the cut.

I suspect that the reason there are some popping up at quieter places and yet none at other busier places is more to do with the volockies being prepared to work on their nearest flight rather than the one that potentially makes more sense logistically for us

Helped a widebeam up Caen a few weekends ago on a Saturday mid-morning start and not one seen.

Mind you season only just starting so only a dozen or so boats moving on the 16.

Probably will see more when the hirers kick in.

[edit for pressing go too soon. Doh!]

Edited by Dinz

Maybe CRT need to position them at the first lock hirers will encounter after leaving the hire base. At the Hawkesbury lock a few weeks ago (an isolated single lock with only a one foot rise where the North Oxford joins the Coventry, for those who don't know the area), we met a couple who'd started out from Rugby some while before, for whom this was their first lock. So I just explained basic lock operation to the lady, who had a windlass but little idea what to do with it. They'd either had no instruction, or had forgotten it in the intervening time doing a long lock-free stretch.

Last year this was happening at Hillmorton, volockies present weekends to help the un-initiated. Have not been there this year.

There was one at Braunston last weekend, somewhat stressed at the behaviour of some boaters!

i have edited the title :)

Sorry only three out of ten for that one GG

The cynic in me says its so that CRT can boast about how much volunteer involvement they have - and let's face it, there will be more volunteers prepared to work locks, than to litter pick etc.

Plus, to be fair, at the honeypot sites they are also there to field gongoozlers and introduce them to the ways of the cut.

Let them gongoozle it's free. Introduction? Get time on a boat it's no part of their remit as I see it. Surely CRT could Marshall them better.