Braunston Historic Narrow Boat Rally - 27Th & 28Th June.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Just to make this clear to myself, are we talking of only having a pilot take you through marina if I arrive at parade times? Travelling south and can time it to come through early or later on!

I think we have established that if you go South at parade times they want a pilot to travel on your boat, but only to advise not to take over. I'm not that concerned by that, but would be very unhappy if they insisted on the pilot steering.

If you avoid parade times, you will not be redirected through the marina, and hence it does not apply. But avoiding parade times is the tricky bit - fine if before (say) 10:30 or after (say) 18:30, but I wouldn't like to say that between those times there is any guaranteed time where there will be no parading. Delays have occurred in the past -very bad ones a year or two ago, but it has been less so recently due to somewhat less boats taking part.

but it has been less so recently due to somewhat less boats taking part.

Tim was telling me last week he has had a record number of boats registering to take part this year. WAY more than last year apparently.

He stated a figure which I promptly forgot...

I think we have established that if you go South at parade times they want a pilot to travel on your boat, but only to advise not to take over. I'm not that concerned by that, but would be very unhappy if they insisted on the pilot steering.

If you avoid parade times, you will not be redirected through the marina, and hence it does not apply. But avoiding parade times is the tricky bit - fine if before (say) 10:30 or after (say) 18:30, but I wouldn't like to say that between those times there is any guaranteed time where there will be no parading. Delays have occurred in the past -very bad ones a year or two ago, but it has been less so recently due to somewhat less boats taking part.

I've checked with the Parade Director, and the parades are due to start at 10am. and 2pm. Sorry for the mistake.

Regarding "pilots". Braunston Marina insurance requires that a member of the Marina staff be on board boats passing through the Marina. Not to take charge, just to direct the steerer where to go as there are a few sharp turns involved.( And to cover the Marina in case of accident)This applies to boats not taking part in the parades.

If the steerer of a boat refuses to accept a pilot, they must wait until the one way restrictions are lifted at the end of the parade.

That's the official ruling. I'm just passing on what I've been told. Hope this clarifies the situation

Sounds like a plan. Its mine also, but I am also currently on a 'commit to nothing' form of planning my time.

Daniel

Seeing as Emily Anne is up this neck of the woods (I gather from your post re. Middlewich), why not bring her up to Lymm next weekend?

Sounds like a plan. Its mine also, but I am also currently on a 'commit to nothing' form of planning my time.

Daniel

Luckily I have the day off from work on Saturday so it's a good chance to come up. No time to get the pair up though. Mind you, If there was I would have to turn up mid parade and go all Reverend on it!!!!! ;)

Cheers Monkeyhangar!

Nightwatch (or anyone else nearby), how is it looking at the two ends of Braunston for non-rally boat moorings at the moment?

Hiya. We are the wrong side of the tunnel to tell I'm afraid. There's a lot of boat movement, but you would expect that I guess.

We may see you over the weekend, we would like to come along by car. Have enjoyed in the past.

Cheers Monkeyhangar!

Nightwatch (or anyone else nearby), how is it looking at the two ends of Braunston for non-rally boat moorings at the moment?

I've just toddled down to the Turn. At the moment there's plenty of room on the Puddle Banks and about four or five spaces on the Oxford.

I'm told that there will be mooring restrictions from the Stop House to the Turn because larger numbers are expected this year.

we are unlikely to parade "Flamingo" until we find ways to encourage it to stop in a distance of less than 100 yards!

Perhaps a study of the steering techniques of Mr. Timothy West or of former Canal Time boaters would provide some tips.

I think you should be okay. It will be busy though with moored boats everywhere. I wouldn't anticipate using the water point out side Midland either.

It will certainly be an opportunity to earn points from people shouting 'slow down'.

Are there likely to be any hold ups or restrictions if travelling from Napton to Rugby and turning left at Braunston turn? We are planning to come through there on Friday night or Saturday morning.

Friday night will be fine. As for Saturday morning the parade winds at the turn by going up one side of the triangle towards Napton, reversing down the second side then forwards again towards the marina. Outside of the parade times you'll be fine but I can't remember if they have someone to wave you through if the parade is on.