Braunston Historic Narrow Boat Rally - 27Th & 28Th June.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Blimey,no need to go on. I have apologised.

No harm done. Crikey!

It's even happened to me, believe it of not.

Martyn

Edit. You boys with your old toys stick together. I can see the attraction now.

Edited by Nightwatch

DAR ratio? Display aspect perhaps, so a "bigger blade" ?

"Disc area ratio".

Wider blades and less space occupying the circle the blade tips describe. This leads to better brakes in my experience. There must be a downside to increasing the DAR but I'm not sure what it would be. Increased turbine effect I'd imagine.

http://www.wildcatprops.com/propeller-terminology.asp

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

"Disc area ratio".

Wider blades and less space occupying the circle the blade tips describe. This leads to better brakes in my experience. There must be a downside to increasing the DAR but I'm not sure what it would be. Increased turbine effect I'd imagine.

http://www.wildcatprops.com/propeller-terminology.asp

MtB

I had a boat with a "high efficiency prop", that was as you describe. It's only real downside was that it did tend to push you sideways, but was great at low speed control.

No, a high efficiency prop is something else. They have blades fatter at the base than at the tip. Weird.

My high DAR prop has the classic big circular 'mickey mouse ears' blades.

Then mine wasn't a high efficiency prop either! The blades were like mouse ears, but the trailing edges were swept back, so when viewed from the back, there was hardly anything but prop visible.

Virtually all the top gates on the Buckby Flight te-open when you are leaving , if you shut one, the other will swing open. This is also the same with the bottom gates at locks 10, 11 and 12.

The lower gates of the Bratch bottom lock have their own special installation of blue string to keep them closed long enough to get some water in the lock.

MP.

We are heading that way . Will it be very awkward to get through on Saturday or Sunday? Advice on best time to pass through is welcome!

The parades normally start around 1pm, so you should aim to get through before then if you can.Usually there will be two parades, with the second one taking place later in the afternoon. Sometimes you can sneak through between parades if you're lucky. If there is a large number of boats taking part, the first and second parades have been known to "morph" into one.

Bear in mind that on some parts of the cut, boats will be moored four (or more) abreast, and to allow passage of boats through the festival, a "one way" system of navigation will be in place.

If you are heading towards Braunston turn you will go straight through, albeit very slowly. If you are headed for Braunston locks, you will be directed through the Marina to avoid the places where mooring congestion is worst. If you are taking the "marina" route you will be required to have a "pilot" on board to direct you around the route. The pilot will be provided free of charge ( well, maybe a cup of tea would be welcome) by Braunston marina. The idea is so the boats moored in the marina will not be damaged.

There will be plenty of stewards (of which I am one) in high viz jackets to help and advise you. I'm normally stationed by the road bridge.

If you can, try to stop and have a look, it really is a lovely festival. You should be able to find a mooring on the puddle banks, or above the top lock before the tunnel. Enjoy it! Jack

Edited by monkeyhanger

The parades normally start around 1pm, so you should aim to get through before then if you can.Usually there will be two parades, with the second one taking place later in the afternoon.

If you are heading towards Braunston turn you will go straight through, albeit very slowly. If you are headed for Braunston locks, you will be directed through the Marina to avoid the places where mooring congestion is worst. If you are taking the "marina" route you will be required to have a "pilot" on board to direct you around the route. The pilot will be provided free of charge ( well, maybe a cup of tea would be welcome) by Braunston marina. The idea is so the boats moored in the marina will not be damaged.

There will be plenty of stewards (of which I am one) in high viz jackets to help and advise you. I'm normally stationed by the road bridge.

If you can, try to stop and have a look, it really is a lovely festival. You should be able to find a mooring on the puddle banks, or above the top lock before the tunnel. Enjoy it! Jack

I'm not sure I agree with all of this- the first parade is usually supposed to go off at 10.30am but is usually nearer 11am, rather than 1pm- aside from the first one last year where everyone got caught with their pants down when one boat went to wind at 10am, another six or so thought it was starting and followed him, and like dominoes, so did everyone else while they scrambled to rally the narrator and crowd! :D

I am also not sure that they make a "pilot" take you through the marina, I know they direct boats going through but I haven't seen them send someone aboard with you; I'm not sure they could insist on it anyway, as it is them redirecting you from the true navigation out of their choice, not yours?

I'm not sure I agree with all of this- the first parade is usually supposed to go off at 10.30am but is usually nearer 11am, rather than 1pm- aside from the first one last year where everyone got caught with their pants down when one boat went to wind at 10am, another six or so thought it was starting and followed him, and like dominoes, so did everyone else while they scrambled to rally the narrator and crowd! biggrin.png

I am also not sure that they make a "pilot" take you through the marina, I know they direct boats going through but I haven't seen them send someone aboard with you; I'm not sure they could insist on it anyway, as it is them redirecting you from the true navigation out of their choice, not yours?

That's how I remember it too.

Was reluctant to contradict Monkeyhanger as he is a steward and I imagined he would know better than me!

Even though I was in the parades! (I think...)

I'm not sure I agree with all of this- the first parade is usually supposed to go off at 10.30am but is usually nearer 11am, rather than 1pm- aside from the first one last year where everyone got caught with their pants down when one boat went to wind at 10am, another six or so thought it was starting and followed him, and like dominoes, so did everyone else while they scrambled to rally the narrator and crowd! biggrin.png

Sorry if I got the times wrong-- for some reason I had it in my head that the parades were 1pm and 4pm, and that obviously cannot be correct. I reckon your times sound much more sensible.

As regards the pilot-- I believe that Braunston Marina insist on it as they are responsible for the safety of the boats which are moored there. We stewards ask that boats passing through wait at the Stop House for pilot assistance, and they comply with that. What would happen if someone insisted on their right of navigation, I'm not sure.

I would suspect that the marina is private with no "through" navigation rights, so a boat heading for the locks would have to stay on the main line-- and meet all the parade boats coming towards it! I'm sure the situation will happen one day, if it hasn't already. When I find out, I'll let you know

.As regards the pilot-- I believe that Braunston Marina insist on it as they are responsible for the safety of the boats which are moored there. We stewards ask that boats passing through wait at the Stop House for pilot assistance, and they comply with that.

This sounds absolutely ridiculous to me.

If I understand correctly you are saying that if I turned up at Braunston and wanted to pass through heading south on my 'historic' narrow boat I would have to be piloted through the marina by somebody who knows nothing about my boat. Alternatively I could 'exhibit' my 'historic' narrow boat at Braunston and pass through the marina without a pilot regardless of my competence, but this is O.K..

In reality the 'historic' narrow boat bit is irrelevant and there is a huge presumption being made about the competence of all boaters passing through Braunston on that weekend.

I was thinking of coming to Braunston on the Sunday but I am certainly not now captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

It is sad (and rather ridiculous!) if they now insist on a pilot. I'm sure they used to offer it, if someone prefers, but not to insists.

Are we really sure it is correct you must now have one? Pete makes a completely valid point. (Even the ex working boatmen taking part have been know to misjudge things!)

I turned up late Sunday afternoon last year and had to go through the Marina with a pilot . Strange as I had been boating a lot longer than he had and also years ago moored at the marina so was familiar with it. Didn't complain as I wanted to get through.

I turned up late Sunday afternoon last year and had to go through the Marina with a pilot . Strange as I had been boating a lot longer than he had and also years ago moored at the marina so was familiar with it. Didn't complain as I wanted to get through.

For clarity, do you mean them riding "shotgun" just directing you which way to go, and what to avoid, or do you mean they actually took the tiller and the controls?

As regards the pilot-- I believe that Braunston Marina insist on it as they are responsible for the safety of the boats which are moored there. We stewards ask that boats passing through wait at the Stop House for pilot assistance, and they comply with that.

If Braunston Marina insist on a pilot due to their 'responsibility (sic) for the safety of boats which are moored there' then will Braunston Marina shoulder liability for any incident involving a boat being piloted, or will that liability fall to the pilot ?

I hope the pilots understand what they could be liable for in this day and age captain.gif