Site Host Move

Paul C

Featured Posts

Canalworld will move to our new hosts on Tuesday morning (16th June 2015), during which there will be a short period of downtime while all the data is copied from one to another host.

The expected down time is around 2-3hours from 9am onwards.

Do you believe you'll be one of the few members who don't get migrated over to the new host properly?

You have got around to writing the bit of script that randomly lops one in a hundred of the members from the database as it passed from one host to the then next then? Good work. Keep them on their toes....

Daniel

You have got around to writing the bit of script that randomly lops one in a hundred of the members from the database as it passed from one host to the then next then? Good work. Keep them on their toes....

Daniel

I though it was meant to delete any member reaching 12,310 posts wink.png

Good luck Paul!

As it happens, I have no problems with response time or error messages this evening. Hopefully the new host will provide better support and thus avoid future problems.

Thank you for all your time and effort!

Alan

Edit: I spoke (posted) too soon! At 21:18 four posts I opened in new tabs and this one produced error messages like;

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 13631488) (tried to allocate 12288 bytes) in /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/publicOutput.php(1759) : eval()'d code on line 394

Edited by Alan Saunders

I would imagine the hard bit is timing the moving of the database etc to coincide with with propagation of the revised DNS records.

Hope it all goes to plan and the problems are fixed by the move. Here in Reading the site is virtually unusable tonight having been ok (ish) for the last few days while I've been on the boat.

Much thanks for all your work in doing this, Dan, Paul and anyone else involved.

Dan, are you planning to come to Braunston Rally? Will stand you a few pints if I catch you!

MtB

I would imagine the hard bit is timing the moving of the database etc to coincide with with propagation of the revised DNS records.

As I understand it he new hosts have set up a new nameserver, which mirrors the current one and hence directs to the current site, we have then move the DNS to point at there namesever, which propagates over the last 24hours. The new hosts nameserver is on a 1hour change whatsit

So tomorrow morning they new hosts will.

- Put the current iteration of the site into 'offline' mode to prevent changes to the database.

- Make the change on their name server, which everyone should be then be going through.

- Re-sync the database and any new files in the gallery etc to the current 'test site' on there server.

- The test site is then put live, which is now the live site on the new server will everyones up to date posts.

- Leaving us to mop everything up with the old host and stop paying them.

- Total downtime should be around 2 hours assuming nothing untoward occurs.

Dan, are you planning to come to Braunston Rally? Will stand you a few pints if I catch you!

Living life fairly day-to-day at the moment, but I plan to make an appearance by car, yes.

Will attempt to make myself obvious. I will also PM you my mobile no.

Daniel

Where is it we're going to again ? It's not Carlisle by any chance is it? Ah well, fingers crossed and I do hope we don't bounce too much on landing like that poor little explorer probe Philae on the comet.

Au revoir et bon chance!

LCx

..... are we there yet?

Edited by Lady Cassandra

Canalworld will move to our new hosts on Tuesday morning (16th June 2015), during which there will be a short period of downtime while all the data is copied from one to another host.

The expected down time is around 2-3hours from 9am onwards.

You're doing a great job!

Just for your info I'm getting this message when I try to get page 3 of one of my threads. Pages 1 & 2 no problem but page 3........

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 14942208) (tried to allocate 97833 bytes) in /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/ips_kernel/classDbMysqliClient.php on line 234