Litter Towns/cities

pendle

Featured Posts

Is there a worse stretch of towpath for litter than the stretch in Leamington spa? I cannot believe the level of sh*t/cans/decaying food. Is it because of the absence of litter bins/dod fouling bins?

This is in comparison to the wonderful Jepson Gardens only 1/4 mile away

Is there a worse stretch of towpath for litter than the stretch in Leamington spa? I cannot believe the level of sh*t/cans/decaying food. Is it because of the absence of litter bins/dod fouling bins?

This is in comparison to the wonderful Jepson Gardens only 1/4 mile away

Yes. Walsall Canal.

I hate the amount of litter that is stewn around at the moment I took a foto of a Audi convertable throwing Mac Donalds rubbish all over the road.( Mobiles are wonderful things) and informed the council with the foto they hope to prosecute the driver! My friend who was driving wanted to throw all the rubbish over the "ladies" that were driving the car!!

I hate the amount of litter that is stewn around at the moment I took a foto of a Audi convertable throwing Mac Donalds rubbish all over the road.( Mobiles are wonderful things) and informed the council with the foto they hope to prosecute the driver! My friend who was driving wanted to throw all the rubbish over the "ladies" that were driving the car!!

I believe someone in London did just that and got stabbed to death by the car occupants for his trouble.

George ex nb Alton retired

Perry bar locks, BCN. We had to spend some time hauling all the detritis (cans, bottles, bags,etc all mixed up with copious amounts of weed) out of the top lock before we could exit it. However the parts of the BCN we visited we found to be much better than we had imagined. We were astounded at the lack of boats of any sort. No Cc'ers or moored boats anywhere that we visited. Some days we did not see any moving boats any hardly any moored boats at all. Shame as apart from the very low water levels the canals are definitely worth a visit.

Its the one of the worst I've come across.

Lots of Fly tipping from the road above if I remember correctly.

Glenn

Rochdale Canal around Miles Platting.In the mission statement justifying restoration of the canal,it says some where to the effect that a high standard of maintenance will be required .Saw no evidence of this last week .In fairness to CaRT,I think this may be a local authority issue .Pity,as much has been done to improve the area.

On a more posotive note, travelling through Leicester last month, I was impressed by the lack of rubbish both in the canal and along the towpath. They seem to have got their act together. Well done Leicester.

• 3 months later...

Leamington is no worse than countless other stretches of canal, Blackburn, Nuneaton and Ashton spring to mind.

But I have never seen anywhere like Birmingham for graffiti, there's money to be made out of spray paint in that city.

My other half volunteers for CRT in central Brum.(he does not do anyone out of a job,funnily enough the CRT blokes don't like steering the workboat but P does.)Most of the rubbish is from the local bars ie bottles,umbrellas,chairs and even Xmas decorations.

The Rochdale coming into Manchester was grim. Very depressing to see office workers eating lunch at lock sides and chucking rubbish down. Pretty poor in Rochdale itself but met determined CRT volunteers trying to clear up. Good for them.

Urban rubbish is everywhere though - especially where kids have been: from whittlesey to York we've seen playing fields and skate parks covered in bottles, can and wrappers.

I have to say that I am oft horrified by the rubbish on the but of the Paddington Arm that I am on. It's a never ending battle but I am starting to take a leaf out of Maffi's book and getting involved with cleaning it up.