Body found in Harecastle Tunnel

junior

Featured Posts

Rats' nests too :)

Wast Hill Tunnel - no supervision, no-one to see who goes in or who comes out. And 4 million unemployed?

A 'leaking cable' for mobile phones could be run through the tunnel, would help in case of emergencies - what do you do if the engine stops mid-way? Wait for a boat to come behind and push you? It wouldn't be possible to steer...(?)

I put a red flashing lamp at back of boat for tunnels, shows boats behind there's something in front...

How about a rope suspended from the ceiling so you can pull the boat through in an emergency? (engine failure)

well I hope I never have to follow you.

Ian

Yes, pipistrelles in the Sapperton tunnel on the Thames and Severn, I was told.

But it'll be many years before we can take a boat through there...

We had a look in there in the late 90's and concluded that there were no bats, just leaves hanging from cobwebs...

However so called 'experts' have since decided that these leaves were actually bats :P

We had a look in there in the late 90's and concluded that there were no bats, just leaves hanging from cobwebs...

However so called 'experts' have since decided that these leaves were actually bats tongue.png

My experience too.

I have nudged endless numbers of bat-leaves on cobwebs in tunnels hoping to find a bat, but no luck so far...

MtB

Got stopped dead in Gosty Hill tunnel last year by a tyre round the prop

so had plenty of time to watch the roosting colony of bats near the Hawn basin end of the tunnel..

There were a lot of bats!!

Edited by Gillie

I haven't read the whole thread so this may have already been posted. Just to prove that newspapers often get it all wrong, I read that the deceased was standing on the roof of his boat when he hit his head and fell in. (Not possible to stand)

Phil

Rats' nests too smile.png

Wast Hill Tunnel - no supervision, no-one to see who goes in or who comes out. And 4 million unemployed?

A 'leaking cable' for mobile phones could be run through the tunnel, would help in case of emergencies - what do you do if the engine stops mid-way? Wait for a boat to come behind and push you? It wouldn't be possible to steer...(?)

I put a red flashing lamp at back of boat for tunnels, shows boats behind there's something in front...

How about a rope suspended from the ceiling so you can pull the boat through in an emergency? (engine failure)

Why not fit the correct stern light, A white one of suitable wattage.

Red flashing light from my bicycle set - I thought it looked quite good. I mean, you see a red flashing light half a mile ahead and think - ah! Could be another boat (hardly a bicycle in the tunnel?!).

Except the rules say a white light! Red indicates port side of a boat

Yes but in respect of canal tunnels, especially the "one way at a time" ones up north. How do you know the white light that you can see in the tunnel is a boat going away from you or one coming towards you? I think CaRT should see about advising a color that can not get mistaken OR no stern light at all.

Red flashing light from my bicycle set - I thought it looked quite good. I mean, you see a red flashing light half a mile ahead and think - ah! Could be another boat (hardly a bicycle in the tunnel?!).

Not a good idea!!

Bob

Yes but in respect of canal tunnels, especially the "one way at a time" ones up north. How do you know the white light that you can see in the tunnel is a boat going away from you or one coming towards you? I think CaRT should see about advising a color that can not get mistaken OR no stern light at all.

The one coming towards you will be bright, and getting brighter. The stern white light will be dim. ( I don't know the correct power).

Bob

Shouldn't need a stern light as 1) you shouldn't be on the tail of another boat so close as to need to avoid a collision and 2) your headlamp would clearly illuminate them and 3) you can normally tell from the view through a straight tunnel that the silouette of the exit has a boat in it, or is blocked out (ok I know there's long and/or twisty tunnels) and 4) you'd also hear them if their engine wasn't super-quiet.

If you really must put a stern light on, for tunnels, don't have it as a white light because it may be confused as a distant oncoming boat. I'd suggest red and green lights at the edge of the bodywork if you really must, but also suggest that you don't need and shouldn't have one.

• Greenie 2

Shouldn't need a stern light as 1) you shouldn't be on the tail of another boat so close as to need to avoid a collision and 2) your headlamp would clearly illuminate them and 3) you can normally tell from the view through a straight tunnel that the silouette of the exit has a boat in it, or is blocked out (ok I know there's long and/or twisty tunnels) and 4) you'd also hear them if their engine wasn't super-quiet.

If you really must put a stern light on, for tunnels, don't have it as a white light because it may be confused as a distant oncoming boat. I'd suggest red and green lights at the edge of the bodywork if you really must, but also suggest that you don't need and shouldn't have one.

Our boat like a lot of other semi trads and cruisers has a white cockpit light which I avoid using in tunnels if I can for the very reason that don't want to confuse another boat that there is another boat in the distance coming the other way.

Fair enough they would probably cotton on eventuality, particularly as it would 'come and go' as I moved across it, but equally they might just think it was a boat with a dodgy tunnel light.

Well Mi'lud, I didn't like white, yes I know the regulations say white but I preferred (pick your own colour).

If you do not want to comply then go without a stern light as it is not required on the canals .

I like bats! I was watching them under bridges last night whilst working Oldbury locks on the Titford Canal (BCN) Our native British bats our so small it is amazing and if you see one in close proximity they are actually quite cute! I went to a talk by a bat expert once and she was able to show us a bat which by law she was allowed to look after as it was injured (laws protecting them otherwise) so i saw it in her one hand, tiny and not at all scary.

So tunnels are dark and can be dangerous but so can crossing the road and i would never let it stop me from doing things. It is very sad what happened in Harecastle but, as yet, very few if any people know how this man sadly lost his life. But before this incident i'm sure he had been enjoying his time boating.

Yes, pipistrelles in the Sapperton tunnel on the Thames and Severn, I was told.

But it'll be many years before we can take a boat through there...

I think the truth is there may be bats, but that is near enough for the wildlife lobby

• 2 weeks later...

When I wandered through Catesby Tunnel (on the old Great Central line) about 7 years back; it was a 'bat fest'. I'm not saying anyone should try this; though I noted recently the tunnel is now permanently locked to 'explorers' like myself (I visit the southern bore at Charwelton quite regularly). Remember, this country has a good percentage of railway infrastructure 'out of use' thanks to Beeching. I've spent many a happy time exploring such things.

I often juxtapose wandering through an abandoned railway tunnel on foot and cruising through a canal tunnel on the boat.

The likes of the Harecastle incident,scare me quite frankly. Tunnels and boats can be quite a disorienting experience imo - about two years back I entered Crick tunnel and after about 50 yards in, it appeared the front of the boat was sinking. I panicked and throttled back (I was barely a bit above tick over on entering). After a minute or two of settling down, I relaised my fears were unfounded; but this still happens sometimes. I treat tunnels with a very high degree of respect, as they are something I am strangely attracted to.

Edited by Orca

Tunnels and boats can be quite a disorienting experience imo - about two years back I entered Crick tunnel and after about 50 yards in, it appeared the front of the boat was sinking.

In long tunnels I always get the feeling that the bow is higher and I'm "going up-hill" - strange feeling

In long tunnels I always get the feeling that the bow is higher and I'm "going up-hill" - strange feeling

I often get the feeling its raining within but that's silly of course rolleyes.gif

But not a lot of help if you are swimming and looking for the shortest way out.

But you wouldn't have started off in the tunnel swimming....and even if you did, you'd know where the nearest entrance was (at least when you started off....). Everyone that goes into that tunnel does so on a boat, and every boat needs a headlamp (the tunnel keepers check it). So its a simple case of just being aware of where you are in the tunnel, to know which end is the shortest route out.

But you wouldn't have started off in the tunnel swimming....and even if you did, you'd know where the nearest entrance was (at least when you started off....). Everyone that goes into that tunnel does so on a boat, and every boat needs a headlamp (the tunnel keepers check it). So its a simple case of just being aware of where you are in the tunnel, to know which end is the shortest route out.

Might it make sense for CRT to construct safety places in the tunnels - alcoves deep enough for a person to stand safely in while boats pass - every 20-30 yards ? Or would it be too difficult

Might it make sense for CRT to construct safety places in the tunnels - alcoves deep enough for a person to stand safely in while boats pass - every 20-30 yards ? Or would it be too difficult

Retrofitting them would be an engineering nightmare, I'm sure. Harecastle already has something that looks remarkably like this.

MP.

When there was a towpath through, there were little shelters like in railway tunnels so you could get out of the way of the horse if you were walking through. I only remember them from 1956, the first I boated through. You had to take the tiller pin out and tie a plank to the side of the cabin to protect it.