Body found in Harecastle Tunnel

junior

Featured Posts

Is there anyone else, Apart from myself who make a point of wearing a hard hat when in a tunnel?

It's compulsory (and necessary) in Standedge, of course, but no, I've not worn one elsewhere. I've sometimes had to duck rather hurriedly under low bridges - I'm surprised there aren't more injuries caused this way.

I think I'm normally careful in tunnels but two years ago had an incident in Harecastle which I got away with other than a mild bruise and a scare.

Going north, with a RN DM2 banging away, my wife suddenly started tapping my foot to get my attention. She was trying to tell me something but because of the noise I could not hear her despite leaning down to get closer. Eventually she made a sign that I correctly took to be 'don't worry, talk later'.

I stood up again and smacked my head on the low bit of the ceiling - luckily I was wearing a cap which prevented the brickwork from scalping me, but it was a hard bang and just for a moment the stars came out.

Yes, you guessed it, she was telling me the tunnel got very low. I've joked about it frequently since then, but if I had not been wearing a cap might well have gone off the back, and we were the last boat in the convoy.

Lesson learned. Ignore my wife when safe to do so and pay attention to what the boat is doing.

My condolences to the family involved in this tragic incident.

I find that the normal tunnel lamp doesn't really show when the tunnel roof changes, probably because the beam is picking out the roof some 70 or 80 feet in front of the steerer. I now have a portable second lamp on the hatch (an LED worklamp from Class Ohlson) which illuminates the sides of the boat and the tunnel profile immediately in front. It also allows ms to see the tunnel markers in the sides so I know how much longer I have to endure.

Edited by pearley

I now have a portable second lamp on the hatch (an LED worklamp from Class Ohlson) which illuminates the sides of the boat and the tunnel profile immediately in front. It also allows ms to see the tunnel markers in the sides so I know how much longer I have to endure.

I do the same in long tunnels. IMHO a very good idea.

A handy lamp for the hatch:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=390729425109

I use the 20w version. Most boats have at least a small inverter these days so shouldn't be a problem.

I've always had a lamp on the hatch since my first Tunnel in the mid 90s. It helps steering straight as well.

My lamp isn't very powerful, so I always have it angled towards the ceiling. It saves it shining in other people's eyes, and as I'm not tall, couldn't see the water close to the boat anyway....

I always wear a head torch so I can see the stalactite or rock formations, and in turn the tunnel height. However, not being tall I don't have to duck!

• Greenie 1

Luckily. as I am somewhat height challenged, I have never had a problem with Harecastle. But I can well see how if I was a tad taller, without my heels on, and distracted momentarily, you could well stand up and clout yourself at the wrong point.

My heart goes out to the family. A tragedy.

Went through last week

Two things I noticed.

1. How bl ....... cold it was.

The tunnel man said it would be & I put on a ski coat & scarf boy was I glad I did.

Next time it will be gloves as well.

He also told us about the headroom dropping down.

Falling in with that wind will definitely shorten survival time evan if hanging on chains (no idea how deep it is}. Almost better to adopt, the at sea fetal position.

2. No green way out wall markings on the walls ?

I always have a hat on, worked on to many building sites never know what can get you.

A hard hat is a bit OTT.

One crew member did hit his head & he is smaller than me.

I find that the normal tunnel lamp doesn't really show when the tunnel roof changes, probably because the beam is picking out the roof some 70 or 80 feet in front of the steerer. I now have a portable second lamp on the hatch (an LED worklamp from Class Ohlson) which illuminates the sides of the boat and the tunnel profile immediately in front. It also allows ms to see the tunnel markers in the sides so I know how much longer I have to endure.

I didn't know anyone else did that. I find an LED light on the rear hatch really useful .

Went through last week

Two things I noticed.

1. How bl ....... cold it was.

The tunnel man said it would be & I put on a ski coat & scarf boy was I glad I did.

Next time it will be gloves as well.

He also told us about the headroom dropping down.

Falling in with that wind will definitely shorten survival time evan if hanging on chains (no idea how deep it is}. Almost better to adopt, the at sea fetal position.

2. No green way out wall markings on the walls ?

I always have a hat on, worked on to many building sites never know what can get you.

A hard hat is a bit OTT.

One crew member did hit his head & he is smaller than me.

Its a long tunnel and tunnels are always colder than the daytime outside of it; also most tunnels (and Harecastle seems a bit leaky in places...) are a bit wet, so I tend to wear a raincoat too, even if its a nice day outside it. There's definitely green arrows marking the nearest exit but they're a bit dirty and if you weren't looking for them while driving, easy to miss. This is the one in the middle:

DSC_2732reduced_zpsc17793ae.jpg

A very good idea: I went through two weeks ago and the advice is to have a torch to see where the roof drops in front of you

Its a long tunnel and tunnels are always colder than the daytime outside of it; also most tunnels (and Harecastle seems a bit leaky in places...) are a bit wet, so I tend to wear a raincoat too, even if its a nice day outside it. There's definitely green arrows marking the nearest exit but they're a bit dirty and if you weren't looking for them while driving, easy to miss. This is the one in the middle:

DSC_2732reduced_zpsc17793ae.jpg

But you need a light to see them, unlike the Beta Light ones that glow in the dark.

I use a little LED head torch for the same purpose when steering.

I started using a small head torch a few years back and find it gives just enough light to see the tunnel profile and lights the distance markers without blinding any on coming boats in two way tunnels.

But you need a light to see them, unlike the Beta Light ones that glow in the dark.

Well yes....but our tunnel light picked it up and illuminated it enough to take a picture of it (the pic used no flash). We have a slightly unusual headlamp arrangement, in that we have two, one points upwards and one points up and forwards. Plenty of people have mentioned they also use an upward pointing light though.

I started using a small head torch a few years back and find it gives just enough light to see the tunnel profile and lights the distance markers without blinding any on coming boats in two way tunnels.

|I use a hand-held high power bike torch.

Perfect, as I spend most of my time in tunnels looking up and marveling at the brickwork, stalactites, lime formations, batnests, spiders etc on the roof (or whatever it is called).

MtB

Well yes....but our tunnel light picked it up and illuminated it enough to take a picture of it (the pic used no flash). We have a slightly unusual headlamp arrangement, in that we have two, one points upwards and one points up and forwards. Plenty of people have mentioned they also use an upward pointing light though.

But not a lot of help if you are swimming and looking for the shortest way out.

batnests????

do you mean Bat roosts? As in there are Bats in the canal tunnels??

Yes, pipistrelles in the Sapperton tunnel on the Thames and Severn, I was told.

But it'll be many years before we can take a boat through there...

Rats' nests too :)

Wast Hill Tunnel - no supervision, no-one to see who goes in or who comes out. And 4 million unemployed?

A 'leaking cable' for mobile phones could be run through the tunnel, would help in case of emergencies - what do you do if the engine stops mid-way? Wait for a boat to come behind and push you? It wouldn't be possible to steer...(?)

I put a red flashing lamp at back of boat for tunnels, shows boats behind there's something in front...

How about a rope suspended from the ceiling so you can pull the boat through in an emergency? (engine failure)

Rats' nests too smile.png

Wast Hill Tunnel - no supervision, no-one to see who goes in or who comes out. And 4 million unemployed?

A 'leaking cable' for mobile phones could be run through the tunnel, would help in case of emergencies - what do you do if the engine stops mid-way? Wait for a boat to come behind and push you? It wouldn't be possible to steer...(?)

I put a red flashing lamp at back of boat for tunnels, shows boats behind there's something in front...

How about a rope suspended from the ceiling so you can pull the boat through in an emergency? (engine failure)

You can use your pole to punt the boat through.