Portholes or windows?

dharmalounge

Featured Posts

Are there any boat owners out there who could give their opinion on narrow boats which have only portholes as opposed to windows. We are considering purchasing such a boat but are concerned that they may not afford adequate light and views when cruising the canals? Its difficult to judge at present as the weather is so awful.

Windows if you're marina based portholes if you leave it lying around on the towpath unattended (for security). Best is a mix, portholes in the bedroom & bathroom with windows in the living area or portholes and skylights, just portholes alone is too dark for me. (Other opinions are available)smile.png

K

Are there any boat owners out there who could give their opinion on narrow boats which have only portholes as opposed to windows. We are considering purchasing such a boat but are concerned that they may not afford adequate light and views when cruising the canals? Its difficult to judge at present as the weather is so awful.

Ours is all portholes. We like them because of privacy and security. True, we e don't have much light, but we're about to paint the saloon walls in a lighter colour.

Cabin-top 'skylights' can improve lighting, especially the opening type. Side doors can be opened and a Perspex sheet placed in them. Or even better, glazed doors on the inside to keep the cold out. And nosey swans.

We find we don't miss the view whilst cruising, because we're normally outside, either steering or sitting in the bow area.

In the winter, it's dark nearly all the time anyway. Portholes are warmer in the winter than coach windows. In the summer, the interior is cooler with portholes because of less glass area. Less condensation, although double glazing can sort that.

Well that's us anyway.

Next!

We have portholes and side hatches. We don't sit in the boat looking out while we are cruising.

Absolutely right. We have portholes, side hatch and pigeon boxes. The added security, if that bothers you, is also very good.

The real reason we prefer portholes though, is because we think they look better. We are aware that back in the past, boats didn't have either, and that windows adapted from buses were the first to become common on boats.

Also it is worth noting that big windows can make the boat very hot in summer and cold in winter.

So decide what you think looks and works best.

Perhaps portholes at the back to pretend it's a "traditional" boat, then hopper windows elsewhere - makes the boat look a bit more "balanced".

An additional point is that you need ventilation all year round to avoid condensation. Difficult to do with porholes.

There are some who like to look out at the world and see what's going on.

There are others who care less about anybody else and where they're going - They have all portholes......

The interior of our boat is not plan wood but light coloured wall paper and the ceiling is white tong and grove throughout to reflect the light,

We have 3 port holes in the lounge and a side hatch which when open can have a glazed inset fitted, the front doors in the end of the lounge are glazed as well.

The galley has one porthole and one side hatch and inset with a dogbox overhead.

The bedroom has two portholes and one in the cupboard (that was a mistake).

The bathroom has just one porthole with obscured film on the inside.

The engine room has the pigeon box and two side hatches, no insets.

I'm sure portholes are easier to replace and cheaper than coach type windows.

I'll let you know when I've replaced the one I've just shattered!

They're also stronger than big rectangular windows due to their smaller size, thus not a bad choice for cheaper anodised aluminium window frames.

Edited by blackrose

I posted an almost identical question not long ago, might be of interest

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=61600&hl=

It's a sign of the times that several people thought I was talking about computer operating systems.

Personally I would go for portholes every time but if you are buying secondhand there's rarely a choice.

Edited by Neil2

We have all portholes and two glazed side hatches, we don't find it dark but I suppose the size of the portholes make a difference, we have two 18" at the stern end (opposite each other) and the rest are 15" (all are double glazed including side hatches). All the portholes can be opened slightly for ventilation or completely removed if very hot. One of the side hatches is by our dinette so we can eat and look out, otherwise as already said, we are at the stern when cruising and can appreciate the views then.

Ann

Not a boat owner & definitely no expert, but I've been looking for a portholed boat (used). I like the added security, although the bounders usually get in through hatches & doors rather than the windows apparently. More importantly, portholes just look so much better IMHO.

I've viewed lots of portholed boats over the last year or so & these are the things I've noticed about the light levels inside:

The size of the portholes makes more difference that you'd think. That's because if you double the diameter you let in four times the light. This was pointed out to me by someone cleverer - but it does explain the veeeery dark inside of a boat I looked at with smaller than usual portholes.

Even a small amount of roof light - eg pigeon box - makes quite a difference.

The colour & finish of the inside has a big effect. Lighter woods are good, as are light painted walls. A white ceiling made a big difference on a couple of boats I saw.

Windows in the front doors help a lot if the saloon is at the front. From the security point of view, I suppose 'long thin' ones in each door would still be quite secure while letting a fair bit of light in.

Quite a few of the boats I've seen have been perfectly light inside, not at all dim or dingy.

What I have noticed is that by limiting myself to fully portholed boats, the market is much much smaller - thay do seem to form a small proportion of the total boats available. They are almost always trads, tugs or semi trads too. If you're after a cruiser stern they do come up, but you might be in for a wait for the right one.

Being a person who needs lots of good light, a port holes only boat would not suit me and would be very conscious of the lack of light. I have been on a few port holes only boats which were lovely but I would need much more light!

haggis

We have all portholes and a mahogany fit-out which creates a nice cosy interior. Except on the very darkest days we find the light levels quite adequate. A glazed skylight lets in loads of light too. If I had a new build I would definitely specify portholes.

Another big vote for portholes, we have 16 including 4 in a 5 f/t pigeon hatch over the galley. Their a mix of 11 and 12 inch, the 12 inch being vent openers. Many reasons for choosing them. For security their superb.

Their easy to fit a very solid fix and never leak if fitted properly. Their great in the winter, many boaters rig up foam pad inserts. We have 2 inch thick ones that fit snugly in the porthole, they insulate as well completely black out the light. We particularly like to sleep in the pitch dark. Easy to clean as well and hardly condensate. We also chose Oak liners, look great and don't condensate.

DSCF1894.jpg

ClockChimney-1.jpg