Dangerous new stainless steel water points

Ian Mac

Featured Posts

I have come across a new sort of water point during my travels this summer, and one of them Bit me, and cut my finger. I have now heard that these things are the new standard water point design and that all water point columns will be replaced by these travesties of designn How in their right mind has allowed this travesty of design to be introduced to the canals. The cast iron pillars introduced in the 1980's where an excellent piece of retro design, fit for purpose and basically vandal proof. This new things, have sharp edges, are hard to use, one can not fill a water can easily form one, and at least one of them had already been damaged, such that it could not be secured. which fool has discovered a way to justify replacing the cast iron pillars. If the new double check valves which the water authorities are now demanding,have to be installed, it can not be beyond the wit of man to install them inside the cast iron column, or even alter the design so they fit.

These new ones will suffer because the design is not robust enough.

Can I suggest that we the collect people of CWDF post a picture of every damaged and/or dangerous one we find here so the C&RT management can be made aware of their silly short sighted and expensive cock they have made.

Bring back proper water point columns

--

Cheers Ian Mac

These were mentioned on here some time ago and I pointed out what I considered several flaws in it's design that were unsafe and would possibly lead to injury. I'm just surprised there haven't been more reported incidents or anyone litigating against C&RT if having been injured by one of these.

They are damned awful though and very expensive.

I agree not the best design. I have already seen one with the top taken off at Hythe Bridge.

We have two on our mooring..

I am down to two fingers on each hand.... Where do I claim?

Idiots lawyers 4 U ???

I have used the new stainless steel water points on several occasions without a problem.

If people are so inept that they cant use them without cutting themselves it makes one wonder how they manage to work a lock without injury?

I think some people just love to find things to complain about.

• Greenie 3

I have used the new stainless steel water points on several occasions without a problem.

If people are so inept that they cant use them without cutting themselves it makes one wonder how they manage to work a lock without injury?

I think some people just love to find things to complain about.

Precisely.

That or they want to squeal compensation claim to CRT .

The new standpipes do indeed have unacceptably sharp edges as no attempt has been made to chamfer or otherwise make safe the various exposed steel edges. I reported this to CaRT many months ago and so if any accidents do occur CaRT can not claim that they were not warned!.

I also am clever enough enough to use one of these without cutting myself but I don't think health and safety works like that!!!!!

In reply to my original complaint CaRT inferred that ALL standpipes were to be replaced as the cast iron ones could (possibly) not meet the new regulations.Soon afterwards Cart indicated that the old standpipes would be retained in "heritage" ,locations which suggests that the old standpipes CAN be modified to meet the new regulations.

The latest press release states that most iron standpipes will now be retained and only about 200 will be replaced with the stainless steel monstrosities. However during my own extensive travels I have seen a sufficiently large number of stainless steel standpipes that I am suspicious of this.

Cart Keeping people and history disconnected!

..........Dave

The Dog House, on 24 Oct 2013 - 11:16 PM, said:

Yes,

ED2012_Drawings.png

Eh! Check valve before stop tap? Now there's a novel idea.

Lets hope the pipework has to be assembled on site rather than it coming pre-fab and the lads on site have the nouse, which they will have, to put it after.

I have come across a new sort of water point during my travels this summer, and one of them Bit me, and cut my finger. I have now heard that these things are the new standard water point design and that all water point columns will be replaced by these travesties of designn How in their right mind has allowed this travesty of design to be introduced to the canals. The cast iron pillars introduced in the 1980's where an excellent piece of retro design, fit for purpose and basically vandal proof. This new things, have sharp edges, are hard to use, one can not fill a water can easily form one, and at least one of them had already been damaged, such that it could not be secured. which fool has discovered a way to justify replacing the cast iron pillars. If the new double check valves which the water authorities are now demanding,have to be installed, it can not be beyond the wit of man to install them inside the cast iron column, or even alter the design so they fit.

Can I suggest that we the collect people of CWDF post a picture of every damaged and/or dangerous one we find here so the C&RT management can be made aware of their silly short sighted and expensive cock they have made.

--

Cheers Ian Mac

Can I suggest that instead of getting hung up about something as trivial as a new style water point you get a life and get on with boating.

Things change over time, new regulations are brought out (usually for the better) and designs change. There are several of these new design waterpoints in our local cruising area and I must say that we have found them simple and easy to use and no worse than the existing cast iron water points.

I dont quite get how or why you feel that CRT have made a "silly short sighted and expensive cock up". They are installing new equipment that meets current regulations how is that a cock up?

• Greenie 2

I am aware that some of the new stand pipes make it impossible to fill a water can without having a hose pipe.

This can cause problems for historic vessels who may not have water tanks like most boats

This new type are fine for filling portable containers, and no worse than the cast iron type.

A previous generation of (allegedly!) lockable stainless steel ones, where you actually had to pass your hose through holes in the bottom of the casing are an abomination. If they replace those horrible things it will be money well spent, IMO.

Edited by alan_fincher

I am aware that some of the new stand pipes make it impossible to fill a water can without having a hose pipe.

This can cause problems for historic vessels who may not have water tanks like most boats

Surely all that is needed is that they carry a couple of feet of hose to attach. Never having seen a new style water point or for that matter used a water can I may be wrong, but it doesn't seem much different to what I have to do when filling water containers when caravanning.

Yes,

ED2012_Drawings.png

The one at Hatton has the stop tap and drain on the same side as the main tap, which makes it hard to put a container under it. Fortuately, both locks use the standard BW key, so you can open both covers

It does seem a very flimsy thing compared to the old ones

Richard

--

Cheers Ian Mac

I do hope you reported your cut finger to Cart. I see no reason why boaters should have to inspect water points for any dangers before using.

I do hope you reported your cut finger to Cart. I see no reason why boaters should have to inspect water points for any dangers before using.

I wish people would use the correct abbreviation because a quick glance at the derogatory version makes me think "Why is this my problem?"

Is the deliberate attempt to demean them in such a pathetic manner somewhat childish?

• Greenie 2

Just a thought. Many people on boats are pretty handy with DIY. How about those with necessary file and ability just getting their file out and debure any sharp edges?

How about Cart being made aware there is a problem before they install more of these taps and before there is a more serious problem