Dangerous new stainless steel water points

Ian Mac

Featured Posts

The one at Hatton has the stop tap and drain on the same side as the main tap, which makes it hard to put a container under it. Fortuately, both locks use the standard BW key, so you can open both covers

It does seem a very flimsy thing compared to the old ones

Richard

Ours is the same - that was the best image I could locate on my phone at the time.

Other/better images are in the older thread.

The 'body' of the unit certainly flexes more than the 'body' of the cast ones which didn't really flex at all of course. But the ones we use are certainly very firmly fastened down and I suspect that bit of 'give' may be deliberate.

The 'body' of the unit certainly flexes more than the 'body' of the cast ones which didn't really flex at all of course. But the ones we use are certainly very firmly fastened down and I suspect that bit of 'give' may be deliberate.

You are almost certainly imbuing the designer/manufacturer/installer with far more thoughtfulness than is due. If they can't even round off the sharp edges, then they certainly won't have built deliberate flexibility into the design!

You are almost certainly imbuing the designer/manufacturer/installer with far more thoughtfulness than is due. If they can't even round off the sharp edges, then they certainly won't have built deliberate flexibility into the design!

Possibly - but I don't actually agree there is a big problem with these taps anyway, and if there was/is Biggles has made the most sensible suggestion in the thread.

Our local water points must be in the heritage category then! I noticed that they had been painted recently, or is that just mark them out as "for replacement"! wink.png

As I understand it they all will have to be replaced - it does beg the question what is happening to the old ones - properly painted up some of them would make a nice feature in a garden as a garden tap.

Possibly - but I don't actually agree there is a big problem with these taps anyway, and if there was/is Biggles has made the most sensible suggestion in the thread.

Absolutely. I actually gave a very rare greenie for that. I certainly would be getting the file out.

Edited to say that if you read the link to the 'official line' earlier in the thread, you will find that the vast majority of the originals are not being replaced.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

20130811_094719_zps31dca493.jpg

another pic for those that havn't seen them.

although the suggestion to get a file out and smooth off the edges is admirable, it is not going to stop that first cut happening. Joking aside, Weils Disease from dirty canal water is no laughing matter.

Edited by matty40s

Edited to say that if you read the link to the 'official line' earlier in the thread, you will find that the vast majority of the originals are not being replaced.

Ah yes - I see - some just need 'moddding'.

We surveyed water points installed before 1999 – about 1,120 out of a total of just over 1,300. Around 1,000 of these were non-compliant with these latest regulations for a few reasons; some potentially allowed water to siphon back and contaminate the water supply, others weren’t tamper proof, some needed a stop tap and a drain down valve while others didn’t have the right insulation, right type of tap or a double check valve.

How about Cart being made aware there is a problem before they install more of these taps and before there is a more serious problem

Fair idea. I used to lubricate the seized cast ones that wouldn't open for me.

I do hope you reported your cut finger to Cart. I see no reason why boaters should have to inspect water points for any dangers before using.

I agree with Sue

Badly finished items with edges sharp enough to cut flesh shows poor finishing/quality control by the manufacturer. Something CRT (that was for you Carl) need to be aware of so they can take it up with the manufacturer.

Though it makes one wonder about what inspection procedure CRT has when items are delivered

If that was aimed at me Rachael I can't agree with your suggestion. The manufacturer has a responsibility to not produce shoddy workmanship. CRT has a responsibility to not let them since they are buying items that are to be used by the public

How much complaining would there be if CRT decided now to condem all of these new waterpoints and not replace them?

Lots. Good comment.

Ye gods alive! We aren't children. Why not just learn to be careful and use the new water points safely. Or wear gloves if we aren't capable of that.

Do you folks drive cars, plug in electrical appliances, use power tools, have babies? All are more dangerous than these stand pipes. Unless I have really missed the point, whatever is this moaning all about?

Is this perhaps a 'They take our money but CRT can't do anything right' thread?

Lots. Good comment.

Ye gods alive! We aren't children. Why not just learn to be careful and use the new water points safely. Or wear gloves if we aren't capable of that.

Do you folks drive cars, plug in electrical appliances, use power tools, have babies? All are more dangerous than these stand pipes. Unless I have really missed the point, whatever is this moaning all about?

Is this perhaps a 'They take our money but CRT can't do anything right' thread?

That is exactly how I read it.

If we were talking lock gate walkways or handrails coming adrift and people falling in and drowning then yes that would be a legitimate gripe but unless someone can show that they have suffered something much more serious than a nick of the skin it's a none issue to me.

Boating is a hazardous activity for all sorts of reasons, there are many more ways you could come to serious harm if you don't take care.

I've suffered numerous nicks and bruises over the years cause by CRT bits and my own carelessness on occasion, it's just what happens.

I have just been to look at the one opposite my house in Stoke Bruerne - all the edges are rounded off and whilst it is not in the ideal place (as you cannot open the top fully) I see nothing wrong with it other than it is a single tap which replaced two taps - but I suppose only a finite amount of water comes down the pipe anyway. Athsetically it is not as pleasing in my view compared with the older ones but modern boats are not, in my opinion, as good to look at as old ones!

Some of you are not that far off suggesting we do a risk assessment each and every time we fill up our water tanks.

I think just one, done by CRT, before installation, and a safety inspection after, would be adequate.

As a Civil Engineering technician I'm surprised you have no concept of "snagging", ensuring that contractors have carried out their work to a satisfactory standard.

I think just one, done by CRT, before installation, and a safety inspection after, would be adequate.

As a Civil Engineering technician I'm surprised you have no concept of "snagging", ensuring that contractors have carried out their work to a satisfactory standard.

Surely we remain safe and well by continually assessing risk, crossing roads, opening locks, going down stairs etc. Those who don't are likely to get their fingers burnt, or nicked, or cut off or stuck.

How do humans live so very long otherwise?

I suspect that the "sharpness" of the edges on most of these is much as the manufacturer would expect it to be, and that CRT must have seen samples that were not wildly different, and deemed them acceptable.

In all honesty they are not great, but they are hardly life threatening either.

What is a certainty is that the locking of them will be a failure. Experience has shown that for anything that requires BW padlocks on insubstantial dangly chains it is not long before the padlocks aren't there any more, and I'm already seeing examples of these water points with the padlocks missing.

Surely we remain safe and well by continually assessing risk, crossing roads, opening locks, going down stairs etc.

True but those who provide roads, locks and stairs have a responsibility to ensure that they are safe.

If a possible hazard is identified then it is CRT's responsibility to inspect, assess and take appropriate action which may be making the structure safer or giving an explanation as to why the structure is deemed by them to be okay.

To do nothing is to invite whingeing.

True but those who provide roads, locks and stairs have a responsibility to ensure that they are safe.

If a possible hazard is identified then it is CRT's responsibility to inspect, assess and take appropriate action which may be making the structure safer or giving an explanation as to why the structure is deemed by them to be okay.

To do nothing is to invite whingeing.

The page I linked to did invite comments from users, I hope those who have issues with these new points are constructively following up on that invitation.

Tim