Dangerous new stainless steel water points

Ian Mac

Featured Posts

If we were talking lock gate walkways or handrails coming adrift and people falling in and drowning then yes that would be a legitimate gripe but unless someone can show that they have suffered something much more serious than a nick of the skin it's a none issue to me.

Quite so. About 2 weeks ago they put up new metal handrails on the foot bridges on 2 of the locks at Fradley. Red & white tape on one of them now. Looks like it hasn't been fixed properly to the bridge.

The page I linked to did invite comments from users, I hope those who have issues with these new points are constructively following up on that invitation.

I have no issues with them beyond the discussion.

I really don't care that much.

Edited by carlt

I have no issues with them beyond the discussion.

I really don't care that much.

Well there's no point in you following it up. Others have expressed stronger views and they have been offered an opportunity to let the 'powers that be' know what they think.

Simple.

Tim

They're the same design that the EA use on their waterways.

I don't know of anyone hurting themselves on one, or any being nicked.

The only ones I saw like them on EA waters were at our moorings and installed by our Landlord. I did see a BW cast one on the Nene

Fortuately, both locks use the standard BW key, so you can open both covers

Didn't realize that. they were installing it when we passed

Ours is the same - that was the best image I could locate on my phone at the time.

Other/better images are in the older thread.

The 'body' of the unit certainly flexes more than the 'body' of the cast ones which didn't really flex at all of course. But the ones we use are certainly very firmly fastened down and I suspect that bit of 'give' may be deliberate.

Photos here on my blog http://nbharnser.blogspot.com/2013/09/blue-lias-friday-27-sept-2013.html

Ah yes - I see - some just need 'moddding'.

We surveyed water points installed before 1999 – about 1,120 out of a total of just over 1,300. Around 1,000 of these were non-compliant with these latest regulations for a few reasons; some potentially allowed water to siphon back and contaminate the water supply, others weren’t tamper proof, some needed a stop tap and a drain down valve while others didn’t have the right insulation, right type of tap or a double check valve.

The new ones are far from tamper proof, I have not seen a locked one yet.

is their a single design of these stainless ones? The one I used seemed slightly different. I cut my finger screwing the hose on, and again when taking it off. It had some sort of bracket which was too close to the tap bit....Also some people dont realise you can swing them 360 degrees, so the top hinged bit becomes a guillotine, which if not help up properly when putting a hose in, could swing down and nip off a few finger ends. I don't own a file, although i do own many other tools :)

is their a single design of these stainless ones? The one I used seemed slightly different. I cut my finger screwing the hose on, and again when taking it off. It had some sort of bracket which was too close to the tap bit....Also some people dont realise you can swing them 360 degrees, so the top hinged bit becomes a guillotine, which if not help up properly when putting a hose in, could swing down and nip off a few finger ends. I don't own a file, although i do own many other tools :)

Go back over the thread Dean.

No body has lost a finger in the making of this program and no animals were harmed

is their a single design of these stainless ones? The one I used seemed slightly different. I cut my finger screwing the hose on, and again when taking it off. It had some sort of bracket which was too close to the tap bit....Also some people dont realise you can swing them 360 degrees, so the top hinged bit becomes a guillotine, which if not help up properly when putting a hose in, could swing down and nip off a few finger ends. I don't own a file, although i do own many other tools smile.png

Well spotted Dean, there's also a crushing possibility where it flips right over, it is possible that it could be mishandled when in the fully raised position and when it falls it will do so at some force. Of course it shouldn't be a problem for a boater used to this type of equipment, However if young children get to use or assist someone or get to play with one as kids will, there is definitely some risk in that design IMO

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w562/artartary/AB3D6738-2999-4361-9139-253D3171741E-460-000000502DBC15F4_zps3e8576e0.jpg

AB3D6738-2999-4361-9139-253D3171741E-460

Edited by Julynian

Well spotted Dean, there's also a crushing possibility where it flips right over, it is possible that it could be mishandled when in the fully raised position and when it falls it will do so at some force. Of course it shouldn't be a problem for a boater used to this type of equipment, However if young children get to use or assist someone or get to play with one as kids will, there is definitely some risk in that design IMO

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w562/artartary/AB3D6738-2999-4361-9139-253D3171741E-460-000000502DBC15F4_zps3e8576e0.jpg

AB3D6738-2999-4361-9139-253D3171741E-460

As I said, I have yet to find one locked shut.

plus....

I suspect they are a lot more susceptible to freezing in the winter. The old ones seemed pretty insulated.

I'd be stuffing the nearest one to me full of insulating material before the freeze because you can be sure CRT won't be.

The blurb about them shows that they come with insulation already present as part of the product, so unless CRT wilfully rip it out before installation.....

I'd be stuffing the nearest one to me full of insulating material before the freeze because you can be sure CRT won't be.

The manufacturers claim they are supplied with insulation and are OK down to -5.

http://www.standpipes.co.uk/product-information/48b6caf5df6ee/ED2012

Insulation Polyflex expanded foam or equivalent insulator, giving protection down to -5 degrees Celsius

What's the bracket round the tap for?

My guess would be to prevent the tap being screwed off and stolen.

Edited by The Dog House

In this thread the OP and DeanS have reported cutting fingers.

although looking at the pic, I cant see how I did. I think it was on that piece round the tap, but it was a while ago. It was caused by unsuspected sharp edges. I may also have used the device incorrectly. I didnt swing that top bit all the way over as in the pic (it didnt occur to me it would swing so far back), so I think I was holding up the top bit with one hand, and screwing the tap on with the other ...all a little tricky. Swinging the top bit so it flings all the way over the back, does seem to then allow you to fiddle with 2 hands in the front, so that could have been my mistake....which others will also make.

I cut my fingers on the one @ barrowford top lock, a right pain to use. None of the edges were finished off, seemed like they hadn't been touched since they had come out of the guillotine, and yes I have worked with sharp steel & stainless steel all my life so I should of known better. :-)

The manufacturers claim they are supplied with insulation and are OK down to -5.

http://www.standpipes.co.uk/product-information/48b6caf5df6ee/ED2012

Insulation Polyflex expanded foam or equivalent insulator, giving protection down to -5 degrees Celsius

My guess would be to prevent the tap being screwed off and stolen.

So one of the design faults is corrected by welding on anther bit of metal? Who designed this thing, Heath Robinson?

George ex nb Alton retired