Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Historic BW paint job :lol:

Does seem silly money but I'm not really 'up' on current trends

Little bits of metal welded in the side of the hold perhaps indicating use as optical fibre cable reel holder during famous 1990s towpath destruction?

One day that may be historically important ;)

Little bits of metal welded in the side of the hold perhaps indicating use as optical fibre cable reel holder during famous 1990s towpath destruction?

Although CEPHEUS had returned to trade prior to the 1990's fibre optic contracts I do not think it was a participant, and those that did tended to have

cable drum spindle supports attached to the gunwales rather than "little bits of metal welded in the side of the hold".

As 'historic' narrow boats go CEPHEUS has a fairly underwhelming history, but in my opinion the "little bits of metal welded in the side of the hold" are much more likely to be a part of its early 1970's conversion to a trip boat.

Unless someone particularly wants a "Star", I suppose, but it doesn't look from the (poor) pictures that it really matches the big price tag.

What am I missing?

I think I can account for big price tags on restored historic boats.
An enthusiast buys a boat cheaply because it needs a great deal of work doing to it. He or she takes it to one of the top restorers for a complete top quality rebuild: new bottom/footings, uxter plate, rudder tube, re-riveted engine room and back cabin. Then there’s the skill required to straighten the hull, replace weak spots etc., etc. The new owner might also want new running gear and cloths and possibly a paint job and lettering. Also the engine will probably need to be overhauled. It is pretty impossible at this stage to work out how much the work is going to cost because more and more horrors are revealed as the work proceeds.
Believe me the cost soon mounts up.
If at this stage the owner decides to sell, then he or she will lose money. Talk to anyone who has had an historic boat restored and you’ll find that the final bill is always higher than expected. There is very little likelihood that he or she will recoup all the money spent. Prospective purchasers will compare the asking price with what they perceive as similar boats and walk away. These cheaper boats may well have been put on the market at a high price, but his will drop dramatically over time or simply will not sell.
I’m pretty sure anyone who has a top class restoration done is not going to get back what he or she spends. I know that would be the case with our pair of boats. Add to this the high maintenance costs to keep an historic boat in good condition and I’m surprised that anyone is willing to take one on!
Edited by koukouvagia
  • Greenie 2

It's the same with collectable motorbikes and cars. What you pay for a 'project' is but a fraction of the cost of restoration to showroom condition. Anyone seeking to make money on such a restoration done by a third party is barking mad. On average, the cost of a restoration will be double if not more of any resale price. Those who are making money on the job will be the yards doing the work, though I'm sure many yards will declare they are meeting overheads, material costs, and labour costs, with a bit left over as profit - or not, dependent on conditions.

What might be missing in the equation is the emotive factor. Getting something done for the sheer pleasure of seeing something saved from the scrap man, and for a while enjoying using the restored item. That may be a priceless factor - it certainly is for many enthusiasts of any marque of vehicle, and also for the boats.

Big Boy's Toys cost money. Love 'em, or leave 'em.

When we bought our current boat having had 3 historic boats, we went to brinklow and talked things through with Rex Steve and Simon. Our needs were strange working in oz most of the year, but wanting a character boat.

A replica of what we have now would have been circa twice what we paid which would have been acceptable, and would have been new or reconditioned throughout. It would have lost at least 25 % the minute it was fired up and slept on. It would have no intrinsic value, being replicable at a price.

So the heart won we paid over the odds for the historic boat. There is a list of repairs there will be need for welding bottoms and repairs forever, and endless, we boat 5 months of the year and every day I look at my old boat and I'm so proud , don't think I would be so proud of a modern boat. Now back to the paint brush and brasso...

• Greenie 1

I was interesting to note Lawrence's observation about Bramah, Barrows & Hall, as the supplier of iron for the boat Equus which he places at the time the firm existed under that title.

The Bloomfield Works were a long time supplier of wrought iron and thanks principally to Mr Hall made improvements to the puddling process that was part and parcel of the wrought iron making process. The iron would at that time would have been rolled at their sole ironworks beside the Old Main Line. Later after Bramah left, the works also included Factory and Tipton Green, following later partnerships.

The implication that BBH was limited to the period Bramah was in the partnership seems valid, but it needs to be verified if the mark was not continued after the time Bramah left.

Mr Hall lived in Handsworth and his house was still there last time I looked and his grave plus stone is in Key Hill Cemetery

Ray Shill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has it got a new back end?

???????

Since when does a traditional hold measure 8' X 7'??

Or does the draw under the back cabin bed contain the battery bank, or the cupboard above it a load of sophisticated electronics?

Different, certainly!

Well the clutter of batteries and electronics can be moved, as for the rest of the boat - I could move in there as is - perfect. Might have to give the clothes back though. The cat would have to make up its own mind to stay or not.

8' x 7' hold? Nothing wrong with that. Just the bit that hasn't been filled with conversion.

Nice boat. But moneybox pigs are flying.

alan_fincher

Just looks like it isn't the original stern on it but I've only seen a small picture. I like a few dents on them personally :) but I know a lot of people like to rebuild them so maybe it is partly original :unsure:

Will have another look.

alan_fincher

Just looks like it isn't the original stern on it but I've only seen a small picture. I like a few dents on them personally smile.png but I know a lot of people like to rebuild them so maybe it is partly original unsure.png

Will have another look.

No idea,

A lot of "Grand Unions" do have replacement counters, certainly, and it is not always obvious, as some have managed to acquire dents even in their replacements.

It's one of the bits of "Sickle" that is new steel, certainly.

Nice boat :-) No pictures of the bow though :(

Always seems strange to me, your selling a boat, show the boat! Also move some of the clutter so that it looks like there is plenty of space, not somewhere you've grown out of! Edited by BenC

Always seems strange to me, your selling a boat, show the boat! Also move some of the clutter so that it looks like there is plenty of space, not somewhere you've grown out of!

They might have provided more pictures, sometimes it's down to the agent what they show. As for clutter - that's life! It's cosy and someones home - that would sell it to me. Spacious cabins devoid of character (clutter?, it's certainly not a mess) do nothing for me, as they do on TV when homes are shown in 'Ideal Home Exhibition' states of immaculate perfection. They're not 'homes'.

I don't think you 'grow out of ' a boat, more like grow into it. Real clutter gets sold or sent to charity shops. But each to their own.