Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I got publicly chowed down by a previous owner on Facebook for even daring to suggest that she needs a major rebuild due to years of neglect. Unfortunately that is the realism, and 400 quid is way too much. Having looked at her last year, she needs 75% of the hull replacing. A couple of planks are OK but that's about all. I don't think I would have posted photos of her with tide marks up the hull showing she had been under if I was trying to sell her though!

Dan

Where on the South Oxford is she? She looks familiar.

Which reminds me - a slight update on Hesperus, tied up just North of Cropredy. She is back on the bottom again, but in a fairly shallow bit, so from a distance she looks simply as if she is carrying cargo. Welsh Richard at The Slipway nearby tells me that she is due in his yard in October for work to be carried out, which is good news - if she survives being hauled out of the water.

I certainly think Hazel is now at considerable risk. It seems not that long ago it was down our way, not apparently in a disastrous state, and where at the time the asking prices had five digits.

When we met the people who first took it onto the Southern Oxford, I got the impression its fate already hung in the balance - it had already had a very hairy trip from the Thames, and they seemed quite unaware of the magnitude of what they might have taken on.

Yes ISTR the asking price being £10k last summer. I also remember seeing a poster nailed to a canalside telegraph pole last summer offering a reduction to £8k but sternly warning that anyone wanting her for this price had better be a real boat person and not someone just looking for a cheap home!

She was moored all winter just south of Pigeon's Lock on the Southern Oxford. Probably still there.

Carlt will be along in a minute I expect to say she could be restored in a week, working just afternoons :)

MtB

This may have been posted on here before. Apologies if it has.

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=363413

Yes,

It probably wins already the "most reduced metal boat" prize, having started life advertised at (from memory!) £54K, I think.

Carlt will be along in a minute I expect to say she could be restored in a week, working just afternoons smile.png

Why bring my name into it so disparagingly?

I've never made any such claims and would rather you didn't write crap about me in a thread where I haven't contributed.

I have already mentioned Hazel's need for a full rebuild and a lot of poor work also needs undoing too so perhaps you ought to read what someone actually writes before you attempt your "witty" put downs.

Why bring my name into it so disparagingly?

I've never made any such claims and would rather you didn't write crap about me in a thread where I haven't contributed.

I have already mentioned Hazel's need for a full rebuild and a lot of poor work also needs undoing too so perhaps you ought to read what someone actually writes before you attempt your "witty" put downs.

Ok, I apologise and withdraw my comments.

I said it because I retain the impression that whenever I say a wooden boat needs a ton of work or is beyond redemption, you appear in the thread and contradict me.

ISTR last time this happened was in the Hesperus thread.

MtB

What's disparaging about it? I took it as something of a compliment, a light-hearted reference to your willingness to take on wooden boat restorations which would deter many people.

I didn't mean to seem disparaging but it's like harassment. If the person feels harassed, then the behaviour that lead to it was harassment. Therefore my comments were disparaging. Even if unintentionally.

MtB

Ok, I apologise and withdraw my comments.

I said it because I retain the impression that whenever I say a wooden boat needs a ton of work or is beyond redemption, you appear in the thread and contradict me.

ISTR last time this happened was in the Hesperus thread.

MtB

I have worked on wooden boats both as an amateur enthusiast and professionally since 1983.

I wouldn't dream of joining a thread about boilers and pre-empting any contribution you might make with a sarcastic comment implying that "Mike the Boilerman" doesn't know what he's talking about.

My comments regarding wooden boats are based on years of experience and personal knowledge about the boats in question whereas yours seem to be based on myths and paranoia.

What's disparaging about it?

I suppose if I made a comment such as "Former head teacher Athy will be along shortly to say that all young boys should be whipped within an inch of their life with a cane in order to instil discipline" you would just dismiss it as a compliment about your teaching skills then....

I have worked on wooden boats both as an amateur enthusiast and professionally since 1983.

I wouldn't dream of joining a thread about boilers and pre-empting any contribution you might make with a sarcastic comment implying that "Mike the Boilerman" doesn't know what he's talking about.

My comments regarding wooden boats are based on years of experience and personal knowledge about the boats in question whereas yours seem to be based on myths and paranoia.

You have totally misunderstood. I had no intention of it coming over that way. If you popped up in a boiler thread and contracted me in a similar way I'd expect most posters to make up their own mind who to believe. And similarly when I comment about a subject where you have the authority of experience.

Anyway I'm off now. Boiler to mend!

MtB

I suppose if I made a comment such as "Former head teacher Athy will be along shortly to say that all young boys should be whipped within an inch of their life with a cane in order to instil discipline" you would just dismiss it as a compliment about your teaching skills then....

No I wouldn't, but as you doubtless know, it's not a fair comparison. If you said "Athy will be along to explain how he can teach you French from the beginning to GCSE level in a week" then I'd see it as a light-hearted, and rather complimentary, reference to the fact that I was competent at teaching French.

I keep mulling over this advert and wondering if there is any way I could get £30k for ALBION to enable me to buy Gosty Hill.

....or until "Ghosty", as she has been charmingly referred to in these pages, comes down further in price so that her value and Albion's are at parity.

So you fancy a career change to mobile fuel vending, do you?

"Now further reduced"

Apollo Duck Linky for butty Lyra

I think R W Davies have already treated the boat very unsympathetically, and now, like several other buttys, it remains at risk of not ending up a butty. sad.png

(Of particular interest to me, as my late brother owned it for a short while).

....or until "Ghosty", as she has been charmingly referred to in these pages, comes down further in price so that her value and Albion's are at parity.

So you fancy a career change to mobile fuel vending, do you?

I wasn't necessarily considering working Gosty, although with the kit on board there could be the option in the future is there was a 'spare route' available. I'd quite happily live on it how it is whilst continuing my current job.

I keep mulling over this advert and wondering if there is any way I could get £30k for ALBION to enable me to buy Gosty Hill.

If the values are anywhere near the same, you could always offer them a trade, the worst they could do is say no. If you really wanted it to work, you'd probably have to offer to pay the broker their commission in cash, to get them on your side. However, looking at it from the standpoint of the seller, a leisure boat might be easier to sell than a commercial one.

It never hurts to ask....

I'm not sure if Junior is really serious or not, but from what I have heard of someone attempting to do something not dissimilar;ar where a broker is involved, the broker wanted to end up with a double lot of commission.

So even if two owners were happy to exchange 2 boats with no cash adjustment, each would then need to pay the broker a commission charge, or maybe 6%, (I'm not sure - not fully up to speed on what each broker charges). Good for the broker, of course, but they could maybe looking to take £1,800 off each person involved in the exchange.

Actually I think it is worse than that as 20% VAT would be charged on the commission, so more like £2,160 payable by each party, or £4,320 by both of them combined.

"Now further reduced"

Apollo Duck Linky for butty Lyra

I think R W Davies have already treated the boat very unsympathetically, and now, like several other buttys, it remains at risk of not ending up a butty. sad.png

(Of particular interest to me, as my late brother owned it for a short while).

What have they done unsympathetically (apart from the threat of motorising it)?

I'm not sure if Junior is really serious or not, but from what I have heard of someone attempting to do something not dissimilar;ar where a broker is involved, the broker wanted to end up with a double lot of commission.

So even if two owners were happy to exchange 2 boats with no cash adjustment, each would then need to pay the broker a commission charge, or maybe 6%, (I'm not sure - not fully up to speed on what each broker charges). Good for the broker, of course, but they could maybe looking to take £1,800 off each person involved in the exchange.

Actually I think it is worse than that as 20% VAT would be charged on the commission, so more like £2,160 payable by each party, or £4,320 by both of them combined.

What I was thinking is that Junior would pay the commission on the Ghosty transfer with any commission on Albion due from Ghosty's old owner when/if Albion sells. The broker has a listing on Ghosty, so would be due a commission there, but has no listing on Albion and would be hard pressed to justify trying to collect a commission on it in an exchange. The seller of Ghosty can take payment in any form s/he wants, be it a stack of bricks, an IOU or another boat. The commission due would be the agreed upon percentage of the value of the property traded for Ghosty. The commission would actually be due from the seller. If the buyer offered to pay it, that would just be the buyer sweetening the deal.

I don't disagree with you that the broker might want to collect a commission on both boats, but I don't see where there would be any legal obligation for either party to grant them their wish. If the new owner of Albion listed it with the same broker, that broker would ultimately collect two commission when/if s/he sold Albion.

What have they done unsympathetically (apart from the threat of motorising it)?

Well the cabin shape just looks wrong to me, but I know these things are subtle.

Also, I'm sure it can be changed, but why on earth would you choose not to put back the door into the hold!