Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Dover has been refitted and is back on the market http://www.londontideway.com/boats-dover.html

The interior seems to be more acceptable than Alan Herd's effort. IMHO anyway.

I believe one issue was that to get from the counter to the "new" living space one had to walk along the gunwhale.

I cannot see from the pictures if that has been addressed.

So I'm confused now.

Were any/some/most all of these Yarwoods built boats built of composite construction or not?

I always thought they were, but received a swift rebuke from someone when I suggested it not long ago.

If I think about it, isn't it one of these boats in the duplicate lock at Stoke Bruerne top, where the weighing machine has been removed from. From memory that has a rivetted metal bottom that doesn't give the impression of having ever replaced a wooden one.

Alan - the boat in the dry lock in Stoke Bruerne is the former station boat May. Someone on here may know her history. I think Tebay may also have been from the same 'stable' as May but I stand to be corrected.

Edited by Leo No2

Alan - the boat in the dry lock in Stoke Bruerne is the former station boat May. Someone on here may know her history. I think Tebay may also have been from the same 'stable' as May but I stand to be corrected.

Both MAY and TEBAY are from the same 'stable', with MAY being the older (launched 02 November 1928 - Yard No. 381) and TEBAY marginally the younger (launched 14 September 1929 - Yard No. 387).

edit - The last of the L.M.S.R. boats from this 'stable' was RAVE (completed 02 January 1939 - Yard No. 633), but the last narrow boat they built for L.M.S.R. was the tug SANDBACH (completed 26 February 1946 - Yard No. 779).

Edited by pete harrison

Surely a joke?

Fit out looks nothing special at all does it?

(By which I mean it is probably fine, but what makes this boat worth twice other boats for God's sake?)

I can only suggest it's attempting to trade on its celebrity.

Price is on a par with many other new boats or in fact lower , whether she sells is more about the quality of the fit out and the power system designs I expect. And of course whether there's an odd ball that wants something different.

I think they based the price on the style of the conversion- £1000 for every centimetre the "top plank" is wide!

In that case Banstead now on the market for £150k :)

vlcsnap6953578.png

Is she included?

Mecca is currently moored in Loughborough and carries a maroon livery and looks very good.

And the more boats that carry a suspect livery help to perpetuate it into fact.

This was very similar to when owners in the 1970's and 1980's, including museums, started painting G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. narrow boats in the 'coronation' livery but with the lettering of the two tone blue livery. It has taken years of convincing current owners to change this and things are now improving as more 'coronation' liveried boats have the correct lettering - not helped at all by Colours of the Cut that illustrated it incorrectly when first published in Waterways World then again when published in book format.